• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wheelies, Bad public behavior and a crash

I am all about a nice wheelie, although in Town on a freeway in a group is not the time or place.

All this does is give all motorcyclist a bad name and image regardless of type of bike

I hear we're all brothers on two wheels. Then again, maybe not.

Never miss an opportunity to be a good ambassador for the sport.

Not MY brothers. More like "Uncle Ernie", the freaky family blacksheep none of us wants to claim.

I like how the police tweet implies 100 bikes were doing wheelies, but I only saw 3-4 in the video.

Never miss an opportunity to be a good ambassador for the sport.

I agree. I try to not be a bad example when I ride.

Wheelies shmeelies ...

Only reason this is a "thing" is because a group of riders slow or delay traffic.

It's easy to point fingers and bandwagon, but face facts ... it's not unlike a gaggle of us old guys going for coffee somewhere and the group is strung out over 1/2 a mile. The same delays in traffic either passing (on-coming or same direction) or pulling out of a side road. It creates an environment for some impatient driver to do something stupid. If me or you become a hood ornament, fault means very little.

People don't care if these guys and gals are popping wheelies or helping little ole ladies across the street. Just don't cause a delay.

Stunting just adds insult to injury. It is, like Mitch said, about blocking traffic. The columns of cruisers out on holidays are not any different. Back when I had a boat in Clear Lake it was not uncommon to see a guy block the middle of an intersection so the group could stay together for their weekend "charity" ride. Around Fayette county large groups of bicyclists can be just as bad. I had use the ditch to keep from being hit by an impatient woman passing a pack of ten or so bicycles who were blocking an entire lane.

Some years ago the Houston BMW club changed their weekend rides to a gypsy run model, where several groups of riders would meet at the same place at roughly the same time. Groups were held to three or four bikes, sometimes five. It is easier on the riders and the traffic.

That's why I make it a point to keep my speed at way above "impede".

I've been caught up in traffic with a group like this, maybe the same group, and it's a whole lot different than a group of old guys headed for coffee. They take over the road. They slow down just to stunt. They take extra lanes just to "own it".

Old cruiser guys are just doing the best they can. The squids are in your face and if you try to go around them they are likely to follow and harass you.

YMMV.

Wheelies shmeelies ...

Only reason this is a "thing" is because a group of riders slow or delay traffic.

It's easy to point fingers and bandwagon, but face facts ... it's not unlike a gaggle of us old guys going for coffee somewhere and the group is strung out over 1/2 a mile. The same delays in traffic either passing (on-coming or same direction) or pulling out of a side road. It creates an environment for some impatient driver to do something stupid. If me or you become a hood ornament, fault means very little.

People don't care if these guys and gals are popping wheelies or helping little ole ladies across the street. Just don't cause a delay.

That's why I don't eat at Luby's. Too many delays and a lot are caused by people almost my age :lol2:

:biggun: Darn right. Especially keep your wheelies off my lawn! :lol2:

Attachments

• clint eastwood.jpg
    clint eastwood.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 122
Haters gonna hate and *******es gonna be *******es...... Nobody mentioned the "driver who managed to record it" from his cell phone while driving! It was all about the "stunters". A nice wheelie is a nice wheelie, but as said above "in a pack, crowded freeway, or city streets is not the time or place"

I'm of the opinion that in most cases motorcycles are generally safer when all the wheels are on the ground. Garbage like that is why I pretty much keep two wheels down and avoid riding in packs of people larger than I can generally count on one hand and to be honest anything more than two or three starts to make me nervous. It's one thing to honk at the cows and dumb stuff like that... Stuff you can do on the side of the road or in the dirt, but riding retarded on the street shows the stupidity of the pack/gang mentality faster than anything.

Back