• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Twisted sisters and hackberry rd

mryo

Reaction score
This was my first real dual sport ride and I couldn't have asked for better weather or riding conditions. It was excellent! I definitely would have gone for some gnarlier dirt, and maybe rode faster, if I had some company. Even though I was in well-traveled areas the dirt roads were less so and if I was injured and stuck on the ground I'd have been there a while.

The route:

Start: Kerrville, TX (7a?)
16 south to Medina
337 west to Leakey (LAY-kee; breakfast, 8:30? :eat:)
337 west to Campwood (topped off gas)
55 north a few miles splits off to 335
335 north to 41
41 east to Hackberry Rd (signs to Camp Eagle)
Hackberry Rd south back to 335
335 south to 2631 (there's a sign for Jo Ann ranch or something)
2631 is paved until it turns into Satterfield on my map but there's a sign saying Bull head rd
Follow Bull head up, I hit two, maybe three, bump gates. Lots of no trespassing signs but that just means the land, the road is public.
Bull head turns into Strohman and then Fair ranch road and then RM 3235 to get over to 336
336 south to Leakey
End: Leakey, TX (1:30? ate lunch)

Hackberry road was about 14 miles of pretty easy dirt. Cars were coming up the north side from Camp Eagle. There were no cars south of Camp Eagle though! From the north, follow signs to Camp Eagle, ride through Camp Eagle, all gates were open, lots of fun easy dirt, big water crossing just before Camp Eagle. Lots of water crossings after that. All were pretty shallow though my boots did get wet!

One was real wide. It was a natural low/wide spot. Path was marked with posts. I just followed the spots that looked used and free of algae. There was a bit of sliding but not much.

The 2631/Bullhead/3235 section was about 25 miles.

The tracks show that was about 200mi. But I did a lot more. I was up in the air about whether to stay the night in San Antonio or head home to Houston. After lunch I was feeling good. Sweaty, but not tired yet. Nav says 4.5 hrs to home... add 30min for stops... I went home and jumped in the pool w the kids.

The Hill Country sections of twisties and dirt were excellent. The slab riding was a drag - but I was still on my motorcycle so there you go.

I got the routes and instructions by reading the Butler Hill Country map and Richard Gibbens http://www.texasadventure.net/
His booklets are excellent - totally worth the money. I also had some suggestions from other helpful riders about their favorite spots.

Can't wait to get out there again!

If you noticed any Honda red paint on that first water crossing north of hackberry ranch, that was from me, last Tuesday. That water is chilly! :)

Also, did you (or anyone else that's ridden there) notice this house on the south side of Bullhead road that apparently has a man made swimming pool that is fed by the river? Thought it was cool enough to snap a photo.
3bcdfda825d33565aa266c153757bccb.jpg
432d60cc52e7df05eb8b641463d10f0b.jpg

I didn't see that house but I saw an awesome rope swing. That whole area is beautiful. Really makes me want to leave Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see that house but I saw an awesome rope swing. That whole area is beautiful. Really makes me want to leave Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah man, I hear you there.

Glad you were able to make the trip, and thanks for the gps tracks. I'll hopefully be able to swing a weekend out there at some point this summer.

Thank you for mapping all that out. We moved to Kerrville less than a year ago and I am continually looking for rides to try. I will definately be looking into Hackberry & Bullhead Rd. The only part of that ride that looks boring is the hop on 41 near Rocksprings.

Very excellent MRYO, thank you. We have a close friend in Kerrville and I have been contemplating leaving a DS bike there for stuff like this. You pushed me over the edge!

Thank you for mapping all that out. We moved to Kerrville less than a year ago and I am continually looking for rides to try. I will definately be looking into Hackberry & Bullhead Rd. The only part of that ride that looks boring is the hop on 41 near Rocksprings.

The boring part isn't on the map. It was the 4 hrs getting back to Houston that afternoon!

Back