• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Harley Myth...

...and all this time I thought it was an RV. Thanks Jack. :-)

Well, there is a tow truck version, ya know. :lol2:

5688_1060654814.jpg

being nearly 55, I am "old school". Which means I was raised on Japanese bikes. Not sure I am up to speed on this new Harley stuff. I am sure you younger guys are up to good with it. I am just not sure, being "old school".

being nearly 55, I am "old school". Which means I was raised on Japanese bikes. Not sure I am up to speed on this new Harley stuff. I am sure you younger guys are up to good with it. I am just not sure, being "old school".

Harley has been 'round since 1903, doesnt get much more "old school" than that :trust: :rofl: :rofl:
Discounting the V-Rod, the Sportster is considered the baby of the family, in continuous production since 1957. :rider:
Some would say K models (52-56) are the original Sportster which is not correct; they were however, the inspiration for the Sportster line up. :sun:

Hope your friend enjoys his new scoot..... Most of us appreciate bikes of all makes and types and whatever makes him/her happy is all that matters. I've traveled 56,000 miles on two wheels and I still have yet to meet anyone who wasn't in heaven just being out on the road.

My '99 Dyna is still my bar-hopper, I just choose to ride from Houston to Colorado or the Dragon as my next bar of choice....:rider:

Be safe out there!

Jeff

At 56, I understand the "old school" comment, though it's not a good choice of words. I belong to the "Honda generation". I remember when the myths were not myths and Japanese was the only logical choice for a reliable motorcycle.

They are delivering to his house for free since he is taking the beginner MSF course this weekend.

Out of curiosity, is he taking the Rider's Edge course, or the MSF version? (I know two R.E. instructors. After talking with them, and finding out how much additional ride time people get, my wife and I bought a gift certificate to cover the cost of the R.E. course for my niece who wants to start riding).

Wayne

You have to scour the internet and local papers--look at garage sales. I have a 1983 CB1100f that I bought with 16K miles and a 1974 XL350 that I bought with 6K miles and I bought and sold a 1998 Blackbird with 4K on it last year. None were "cheap" but I didn't pay full amount for them either.

I know, I know. I was joking. :sun:

Before I get another bike, I need to get more money! :eek2:

However, having said that, my wife is coming over to the idea of having a commuter bike (Bikey) and a two-up touring bike for us to ride together. :clap:

being nearly 55, I am "old school". Which means I was raised on Japanese bikes.

Hey! I resemble that remark. But don't forget the Brit bikes -- Triumph, BSA and last-but-not least Norton!

Not sure I am up to speed on this new Harley stuff. I am sure you younger guys are up to good with it. I am just not sure, being "old school".

When I was in high school (back in the Old Days [tm]) the only guys who rode the big Harleys were cops and Shriners. I had a classmate (a couple of years ahead of me, actually) who had a Sportster, and we thought it was cool. But when it came time to buy, I bought a Jap bike because I could afford it.

I have nothing against Harley Davidsons and I would love to have a Sportster in the stable. However, it would require (1) more money, and (2) a larger garage.:doh:

Lee

At 56, I understand the "old school" comment, though it's not a good choice of words. I belong to the "Honda generation". I remember when the myths were not myths and Japanese was the only logical choice for a reliable motorcycle.

I am almost the same age you are and I remember being a very small boy and hearing my dad and his friends talk about how Japanese bikes were unreliable, underengineerd toys. In fact, anything from Japan was looked on as inferior to a US product. By the time I got a bike, there was no choice involved, you bought Japanese or an quirky, unreliable eastern European bike with Riverside, Allstate or HD on the tank.

I like this definition of "Old Skool" by Chopperman on Adventure Rider:

"Think of it this way...if it is no longer offeres by a dealer...or every part you try to order has at least a week wait because no one stocks it. If you have to get parts from some alcoholic who lives in a junkyard. If it requires a whole different flight manual than any new bike. If it is likely to have been enjoyed in your deep youth or by a previous generation. If it is old enough to vote, drink, [omission]....it's most likely a classic."

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51908&highlight=definition

By that definition, Bikey is an Old Skool ride, for sure!

Lee

Glad to hear your friend got what he wanted. I was riding Harley's when Harley's weren't cool. I wish I still had my last Harley, a FXWG (a true Milwaukee Vibrator, no rubber mounts) that loved to eat up the miles. The only problem(s) I ever had with it was owner errors, otherwise the bike was near bullet proof and didn't leak or burn oil. I've got to find some of the pictures I had of it so I can post them some day.

I'll add my $.02
I use to bag on Harley's a lot, but that was before I rode one. My dad own a giant Suz Boulivard C90T, and an even more Giant Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classis.
The Suz is HEAVY and feels heavy, and on paper the Harley is almost 220 lbs more, but it is much easier to ride and much smoother, I'll ride the bigger Harley over the Suz anyday.
His has been to Big Bend and back twice, down the 3 sisters more than once and a few other small road trips and no problems yet (other than mom falling alseep riding pilon :lol2:)

and some day THERE WILL be a Buell Uly in my garage.

He did the MSF version through Ft. Bliss. It was two days long.

Had to do something similar before I could ride my bike on base in 29 palms. However, that was long before they had an MSF course... but then I'm dating myself.

Wayne

I'll add my $.02
I use to bag on Harley's a lot, but that was before I rode one. My dad own a giant Suz Boulivard C90T, and an even more Giant Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classis.
The Suz is HEAVY and feels heavy, and on paper the Harley is almost 220 lbs more, but it is much easier to ride and much smoother, I'll ride the bigger Harley over the Suz anyday.
His has been to Big Bend and back twice, down the 3 sisters more than once and a few other small road trips and no problems yet (other than mom falling alseep riding pilon :lol2:)

and some day THERE WILL be a Buell Uly in my garage.

That describes my experience to a tee. I came off an '02 Intruder, daddy to the C90. The Ultra is mucho better. :rider:

Back