Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #41
bmcdonau

Re: Some interesting TWT numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWTim View Post
Those are fascinating numbers, Scott, especially regarding the volume of spam, which is astounding just by itself. The migration to ZenForo should be interesting, especially for us longtime TWTers.

It's funny you mention the backlash against big social media platforms, because I've been greatly reducing my participation in them for many of those very reasons. It's great to have a place like TWT by comparison. My prediction is that forums will make somewhat of a comeback over the next few years as people again seek out online communities that are free from the social-engineering agendas of platforms like Facebook and Google.

P.S. My post count went below 10,000, so you definitely nuked some stuff. LOL.
I wish I could quit Facebook, but with family all over Texas and up into Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Nevada, it's the only place I can keep track of what's going on.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #42
Vec

Exclamation Re: Some interesting TWT numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterk View Post
Interesting....

Please keep Tapatalk, I don’t do Facebook or other soc media. Nice thing about specific forums is we all share mutual interests and events.

same here on keeping tapatalk, and i dont do the book of faces either.

tapatalk is the only way I choose to upload photos as well, since its easy and can be simply done from my ipotato.
Vec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #43
dfwscotty

WHEW!!!

I started reading your first post and was waiting for the big shoe to drop.
Glad all is well and we are still a big happy family.

Thanks for all the hard work.

12 Kawasaki Concours
99 BMW 1100GS
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #44
TheD-Man

Another vote for Tapatalk
TheD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #45
Rydah

Non-Facebook user here. Thanks, Scott, and keep up the good work.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #46
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
That's admin work, not coding. Big difference.
It's all over my head at this point. I ran a BBS in the early 90's, beta tester for Mustang software, ran a ISP help desk in the late 90s prior to the bubble popping, and since then I've just been Joe User.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #47
gixxerjasen

You guys realize Tapatalk is used because the forum in it's present form can't be used easily on your phone, but the new one gives you all the forum features easily without needing tapatalk, right?
gixxerjasen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #48
h2000fb
Forum Supporter

1st - Thanks Scott for all the hard work.

2nd - I can't wait for the new software. Being mobile compatible will not only render Tapatalk obsolete but will allow all us users who could not stand Tapatalk to enjoy real mobile-friendly software. One people use the new software, they will appreciate its ease of usage. They will not miss Tapatalk.

3rd - allow a little advertising. I think we all agree tastefully done is good, fine, OK, and unintrusive. I realize and appreciate you are not trying to turn this into a large money machine, but you should allow it to generate a useful cash flow.

Other thoughts:

Concerning the rise and fall of user numbers over the years totally surprised me, but FB? I can't stand it and my usage is very limited. It is not easy to find anything, ads are beyond annoying, and hate is rampant. For those reasons, I let the people who revel in that type of trashing environment have it. More power to them.

Do you think the possibility of the site not being mobile friendly and many people not liking Tapatalk may have been a contributing factor in the fall of users? This occurred on our association's website. Activity dropped but business association numbers were stable. When surveyed, the response was they started waiting until business hours so they could view on Desktop. Reinforces the importance of mobile-friendly.

Of all my friends, only two use Tapatalk that I know of. Most do not seem to like it. I gave up looking at TWT on my mobile and now wait until a Desktop is handy. After the new software, I will not have to wait! Super!

Thanks again.

Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv

Last edited by h2000fb; 11-06-2018 at 11:37 PM.
h2000fb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #49
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Old 11-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #50
TWTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcdonau View Post
I wish I could quit Facebook, but with family all over Texas and up into Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Nevada, it's the only place I can keep track of what's going on.
Same here. I've become somewhat dependent on it for staying in touch with distant friends & relatives, as well as promoting my musical and media endeavors. It's a double-edged sword in many ways.
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

TIM KREITZ ADVENTURES
www.timkreitz.com
TWTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #51
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

There are alternatives to FB, you just have to get folks willing to switch. FB has inertia in that sense because people are invested in their use of it. No one wants to be "left out" by moving to a different platform. I use MeWe.com and participate in a cool group related to macro photography. It is very similar to FB, but without all the ads, sponsored content, data collection, etc,... It is very easy to use, so there really isn't much of a learning curve. FB is just the one that everyone knows about. However, they can only bank on that for so long before people get so sick of FB that they go looking for alternatives out of desperation.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #52
TWTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I use MeWe.com and participate in a cool group related to macro photography. It is very similar to FB, but without all the ads, sponsored content, data collection, etc,...
You are the second person who has told me about that network in recent weeks. I'm gonna check it out!
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

TIM KREITZ ADVENTURES
www.timkreitz.com
TWTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #53
Meriden

Odd thing about MEWE. It sounded interesting so I searched them to get an overview of the offering and business model. Their sign up page came up in German. I don't use German on this browser (okay once in an ADV Rider post) so I wonder how they knew?

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #54
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWTim View Post
Same here. I've become somewhat dependent on it for staying in touch with distant friends & relatives. It's a double-edged sword in many ways.
This.

Family. High school friends. Guam friends. Tucson street/drag racing friends.

But then again, a ton of new friends via my motorcycling.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Old 11-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #55
4jranch
Forum Supporter

Thanks Scott. I have no idea about most of the details of what you mention but am amazed at all the spammers.

I for one am not a fan of Tapatalk....
4jranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #56
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Scott, any timeframe we can expect the rollout of the new platform?
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #57
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
Scott, any timeframe we can expect the rollout of the new platform?
Well, like I said above, or maybe in the other thread about the forum being secure, if I can get all this done by the new year, I will be happy. I'd like to get it done earlier if possible so I can stop paying for my current hosting service at the same time I am paying for the new one

By the way, for those of you that like Tapatalk because of the ability to upload images directly from your phone, you will be able to do that once I get the new software running and we make the switch. IF the images are too large, the forum software will resize them on the fly during the upload. Also, media embedding in general should be easier for stuff like Youtube, Google Maps, etc,... That was something about vB that I was never happy with.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #58
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
IF the images are too large, the forum software will resize them on the fly during the upload. Also, media embedding in general should be easier for stuff like Youtube, Google Maps, etc,...
Yay to both!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #59
wanabeguru

Thanks for a great site, Scott!
Old 11-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #60
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Most users ever online was

11-02-2018 , this was the hill country 500 weekend

at 01:48 PM.

I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads

Last edited by StromXTc; 11-19-2018 at 07:52 PM.
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote