TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
Gourdhead
 
Gourdhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin
Posts: 328
Note on Road Closures

Spoke to a game warden at the low water crossing on CR308 on Sunday, and he wanted me to tell everyone that going around barricades that are up due to high water is an arrest, not a ticket. At least in Llano county. Ride safe, ride smart.
__________________
Ride fast. Get lost.
Gourdhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
Retiredtosoon
 
Retiredtosoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: spring branch
Posts: 464
Re: Note on Road Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourdhead View Post
Spoke to a game warden at the low water crossing on CR308 on Sunday, and he wanted me to tell everyone that going around barricades that are up due to high water is an arrest, not a ticket. At least in Llano county. Ride safe, ride smart.
little extra this is a Quote: it is a Class B misdemeanor in Texas to drive around a barricade at a flooded road. This is the same as a DWI. If caught, you may be arrested, have your car impounded, spend up to 180 days in jail and/or be fined up to $2000. You may also be charged for the cost of your rescue.
Retiredtosoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 6,402
Re: Note on Road Closures

I was doing some part time work here for a Justice of the Peace during the flooding we had around here, I was shocked when she told me what has been posted here. I had no idea figured at the worse a ticket. Now I'm not talking trying to go through the high water, I understand that, but just around barricade to take a look. I USE to do it all the time for photos, no more.
__________________
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
tdaymond
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: McKinney
Posts: 22
Re: Note on Road Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtosoon View Post
little extra this is a Quote: it is a Class B misdemeanor in Texas to drive around a barricade at a flooded road. This is the same as a DWI. If caught, you may be arrested, have your car impounded, spend up to 180 days in jail and/or be fined up to $2000. You may also be charged for the cost of your rescue.
Since the law specifically mentions a flooded road, do we think there is a different law for roads closed for different reasons? For example, a dirt road that is closed due to a washed out culvert.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
Thomas

McKinney
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tdaymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 6,402
Re: Note on Road Closures

My 2 cents, you go around a barricade, you break the law. They generally say closed to thru traffic. At that point depends on the officer and your excuse.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
__________________
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!

Last edited by woodsguy; 11-06-2018 at 08:30 AM.
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
JQ1.0
Forum Supporter
 
JQ1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Graham, Texas
Posts: 338
Re: Note on Road Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdaymond View Post
Since the law specifically mentions a flooded road, do we think there is a different law for roads closed for different reasons? For example, a dirt road that is closed due to a washed out culvert.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Barricade placed because of water over the road ---- Class B

Barricade placed due to Maintenance ------- Class C

Washed out culvert could depend on the opinion of the official.

Ya rolls the Dice Ya takes yer chances.
__________________
James
JQ1.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
Retiredtosoon
 
Retiredtosoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: spring branch
Posts: 464
Re: Note on Road Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
My 2 cents, you go around a barricade, you break the law. They generally say closed to thru traffic. At that point depends on the officer and your excuse.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
That is a correct statement, all the year of my road work i have gotten people tickets and the time i have had a officer with me a trip to jail if needed that being said those signs are there for a purpose your safety the only time it would be OK if the road we blocked had homes on it and that's were the drivers were going.



Aaron
Retiredtosoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
bwdmax
Forum Supporter
 
bwdmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,361
Re: Note on Road Closures

In my experience if you endanger anyone you may get the arrest, but if no one was directly endangered they are more than happy to take their $2000 dollars and move on. There are a few other charges they like to add on to get the total of the fine up a little more. This is all subject to the ego and mood of everyone involved. YMMV.
__________________
Avatar courtesy of Tourmeister

Gary
525 EXC & 650 V-Strom (mine)
CRF150F (family) CRF110F (Daughter)
Foreman 450 (family) TRX250R (could be yours)
XR250R (Son)

http://www.matamoroschildrenshome.org/
bwdmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 6,402
Re: Note on Road Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdmax View Post
In my experience if you endanger anyone you may get the arrest, but if no one was directly endangered they are more than happy to take their $2000 dollars and move on. There are a few other charges they like to add on to get the total of the fine up a little more. This is all subject to the ego and mood of everyone involved. YMMV.
You are correct and unfortunately to a couple of weeks ago I was ignorant to the severity of going around barricades. And no I wasn't stopped or ticketed thankfully. But I will pay attention and no more! On d/s bikes it always been like an invitation, ha! I always just figures was ricking a minor ticket.
__________________
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #10
Thrasherg
 
Thrasherg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: McKinney, Texas
Posts: 2,872
Re: Note on Road Closures

But I bet there is no law that states the county must remove those signs within a certain time after the event. so the signs could be left there for a few months or years and we would still be ticketed for going round a sign which is clearly not valid. As usual it's all one sided, we the motorist get screwed for anything we do wrong, but everyone else is free (county, police, etc) to do whatever they want!! I fully agree that if you ignore a sign and get in trouble because of what it warned about, then you should be liable for fines and costs, but you cannot know if the sign has been there 3 minutes, 3 days or 3 months, so given our poor record of removing signs after an event has passed, I can't see how any reasonable police officer could charge you for going round the sign to verify if it is still relevant!! Again it always seems the motorist is under attack.. Its great that police can issue a ticket if we go around a sign, but how about the police also issue tickets to whoever put the sign in place if they are not removed with 2 weeks of the event having passed? Just food for thought.. I get really upset the number of times I change lanes because a sign says the lane closes ahead, and then there is no lane closure, or road work signs warning of roadworks ahead, when there has clearly been no roadwork activity there for months!!

I will get of my chair now!!
__________________
15 Super Tenere ES (Mine)
17 FZ07 (Wife’s)
14 CBR500RR (Daughter #2)
06 CRF450X (Mine)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
05 & 06 CRF450X (spares for friends!)
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 6,402
Re: Note on Road Closures

I think the big thing is trying to cross water and putting first responders at risk for being arrested.
__________________
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #12
SilverBullet
 
SilverBullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Harmaston, TX
Posts: 6,284
Re: Note on Road Closures

More than once I've been riding on a road only to come out on the other end and see a road closed sign and barricade. No sign or barricade where I entered or sign along the way either.
__________________
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200 EXC
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,175
Re: Note on Road Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
More than once I've been riding on a road only to come out on the other end and see a road closed sign and barricade. No sign or barricade where I entered or sign along the way either.
Same here. Also the same with locked gates. I've ridden for hours on roads with no sign at all that they were private/closed, no purple paint, no locked gates (and sometimes no gates at all), no "no trespassing" signs, no "road closed" signs, etc,... and then at the very end... a locked gate. I try VERY hard to stay off private property and closed roads, but sometimes you just don't know. I have been fortunate that I've never encountered trouble because of it.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #14
jkelley82
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: harmony,tx
Posts: 40
Re: Note on Road Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasherg View Post
But I bet there is no law that states the county must remove those signs within a certain time after the event. so the signs could be left there for a few months or years and we would still be ticketed for going round a sign which is clearly not valid. As usual it's all one sided, we the motorist get screwed for anything we do wrong, but everyone else is free (county, police, etc) to do whatever they want!! I fully agree that if you ignore a sign and get in trouble because of what it warned about, then you should be liable for fines and costs, but you cannot know if the sign has been there 3 minutes, 3 days or 3 months, so given our poor record of removing signs after an event has passed, I can't see how any reasonable police officer could charge you for going round the sign to verify if it is still relevant!! Again it always seems the motorist is under attack.. Its great that police can issue a ticket if we go around a sign, but how about the police also issue tickets to whoever put the sign in place if they are not removed with 2 weeks of the event having passed? Just food for thought.. I get really upset the number of times I change lanes because a sign says the lane closes ahead, and then there is no lane closure, or road work signs warning of roadworks ahead, when there has clearly been no roadwork activity there for months!!

I will get of my chair now!!
Agreed ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 110% if you are dumb enough to get yourself into a situation that requires help and endangers others after being warned then you deserve the arrest or the fine. But if you just go around to see whats going on from a safe distance then they should let you be. It is still a PUBLIC ROAD and in my opinion it is a tax payers right.
__________________
2007 Bandit 1250S / 2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
jkelley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 6,402
Re: Note on Road Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelley82 View Post
Agreed ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 110% if you are dumb enough to get yourself into a situation that requires help and endangers others after being warned then you deserve the arrest or the fine. But if you just go around to see whats going on from a safe distance then they should let you be. It is still a PUBLIC ROAD and in my opinion it is a tax payers right.
I would hope most officers would agree with you.
__________________
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #16
Drunk_Uncle
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 54
Re: Note on Road Closures

I went around the barricade on 335 to recover my bike as I couldn’t get my van down the road from 336 which had no signs. But it said to through traffic which I was not through, but to traffic so hope I was good. Came out the same way I went in.
__________________
I refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #17
StromXTc
Forum Supporter
 
StromXTc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: George West
Posts: 824
Re: Note on Road Closures

Technically there is some law, rule, regulation that we are breaking every min of every day.
__________________
Brian
2015 Bashan 250 China Enduro - Gone
2017 V-Strom 650XT gaining farkle weight
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #18
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 6,402
Re: Note on Road Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
Technically there is some law, rule, regulation that we are breaking every min of every day.
No doubt about that.
__________________
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #19
Texas Mud Taco
 
Texas Mud Taco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Juans
Posts: 197
Re: Note on Road Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
More than once I've been riding on a road only to come out on the other end and see a road closed sign and barricade. No sign or barricade where I entered or sign along the way either.
That happens to me all the time at Home Depot when walking down the isles.
__________________
Chris

I refuse to list the bikes I own

GnarTek.com
Texas Mud Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-18.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.17062 seconds with 10 queries