• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arai XD-4 vs Shoei Hornet

Tom

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lowry
Time for a new lid. Last several years, I've been in a Scorpion. Have a EXO-700 and a EXO-1000 and love them both but they seem to fall apart too quickly. Base piping came off both, top vent blew off the 1000 while the whole spoiler blew off the 700.

The reason I bring these up, the 2XL Scorpions fit my melon to a tee. I am looking at a top shelf DS this go-round so was wondering if anyone has experience with sizing of these two buckets while having seat time in a Scorpion to compare them to as far as fitment?

I know this is like asking about oil but not finding any XX units local, I will probably have to order from interweb and do the ole ship back to get another size dance if it don't work out. Like to minimize that if I can.

Any other feedback one would like to contribute will be duly noted for future purchase. :mrgreen:

Thanks pards...

I've been using an XD4 and love the thing almost as much as my friend GSer loves his Hornet. Frankly in terms of features, air flow and the like the two are comparable. There is also a lot of truth to the saying that a rider either has a Shoei head or an Arai head. Arai has different inserts to adapt to different fits, but I'm not sure that Shoie does. You may want to run up the freeway and see what Gulf Coast or Mancuso has in stock in any XX Shoei or Arai, not just the DS style helmets.

Thanks Mang, I looked on Gulf Coast site and they only go up to XLarge on the Hornet and don't carry the XD4.

Mancuso is just a couple miles down the street. I might run over at lunch tomorrow.

When I was in the market a couple of years ago, I had it narrowed down to the Shoei Hornet and the Arai XD4 as well. Fortunately, I was able to try them both on at the same time. From what I remember, the fit to my head was very similar between the two. I chose the Arai strickly because the visor actually kept the sun out of my eyes, where as the Shoei's visor made no difference in sheilding the sun from my eyes...

Good data point Roger, I'll keep that in mind.

Found this Helmet Internal Shapes at Web Bike World that has some good info. Also has detailed reviews.

Nope! XXL XD4 arrived today. Felt good when I tried it on, most new helmets do. Sat and watched TV for about a half hour wearing it after dinner before I started getting a headache. Two hot spots at the rear base of my scull. Pulled it off and looked at the liner and where the problem is, there is no foam in the problem area for adjustment so shipping back Monday.

Given the reason I want a DS helmet is the peak to block low sun and the Hornet has a short peak, guess I'll go back to a standard FF.

I looked a Arai a few years back but the shield did not have clicks to open it one notch , either all open or all closed so I havent touched one since . Made a deal to buy a hornet from someone on the site a couple years ago then stopped at the Simpson factory in New Braunfels later that week and bought a Simpson DS helmet . It was supposed to come with the correct pads to fit my head but didnt so I was kinda pissed about that and shipping it back would have cost too much . I went thru with the hornet deal buy didnt care for it so it went away and I kept the Simpson . I have worn it several times but the only advantage for the DS helmet is the sun shade , I am more comfortable wearing my Multitech when riding off road . I just open up when I get into something technical . SEYA

I looked a Arai a few years back but the shield did not have clicks to open it one notch , either all open or all closed so I havent touched one since . Made a deal to buy a hornet from someone on the site a couple years ago then stopped at the Simpson factory in New Braunfels later that week and bought a Simpson DS helmet . It was supposed to come with the correct pads to fit my head but didnt so I was kinda pissed about that and shipping it back would have cost too much . I went thru with the hornet deal buy didnt care for it so it went away and I kept the Simpson . I have worn it several times but the only advantage for the DS helmet is the sun shade , I am more comfortable wearing my Multitech when riding off road . I just open up when I get into something technical . SEYA

I wear my Nolan N104 off road too. If I need extra sun shade the internal sun shield comes in handy and stays clean when not deployed.

Back