• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mo tires - Stinko 705's

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Surely don't claim to know tires so let me just stick to what I've actually used. Put a set of Shinko 705's on the GS (R1200). This is for riding 6 miles of gravel-then smooth (+/-) pavement every time the bike gets cranked. Load is typically just the bike, two side cases and one scrawny old dude. Never any considerable weight. Pressure is held around 35psi. Acceleration and speed, as it turns out, are...well, you know...a lot of fun. :trust:

Ran em about 4K miles. Rear looks pretty much shot and suddenly looses air. :eek2: Being the squeaky tightwad that some so harshly suggest, :moon: I took the tire off and ran soapy water over it to find/fix THE leak. Well now, seems there really isn't A leak. Nope, there are numerous leaketts. Tiny...little leaks all over the tire. On the worn center, on the sidewalls, down in the grooves, even in the chicken strips that have never touched pavement. The thing seems to have been hit by a disintegration ray gun and is falling apart.

Impressions: As new - the things ride smooth and stick really well on pavement. They do a pretty darn good job playing gravel road dirt bike too. I liked em.

Verdict: Good price but not very good wear for me. The sudden disintegration thing is just plain weird. :thumbd:

Next tire (just ordered) is the Pilot Road 4 Trail. Kind of the other end of the spectrum for cost and not dirt worthy at all. We shall see... :pray:

Oh great... I have them on my 1200 GS also, but only a few K miles so far. I will definitely keep an eye on them!

In the past I have used Avon Distanzias and really liked them. I just tried the Ahinko tires because of the lower cost.

Just run a tube ;)
I have 705 on my drz, but it is tubeds... First I've hear of this though... Do you apply anything funky or dive through sulfuric acid?

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Just run a tube ;)
I have 705 on my drz, but it is tubeds... First I've hear of this though... Do you apply anything funky or dive through sulfuric acid?

I would still be concerned about disintegration of the tire carcass on a potentially catastrophic level...

For what it's worth, I am on my 3rd rear 705. (and the first frront still has plenty of wear left.)

I've gotten between5 to 6k on each one. Have been very happy with them, except for their relatively short lives.

I guess I would be more concerned if this decay/deterioration scenario happened when the tread still had plenty of wear left.

On the other hand, barring some environmental cause, my guess would be it is a quality control issue on Shinko's part. Which is, in itself worrisome.

I run 705s on the WeeStrom. I'm well over 12k on the front. I'm going to change it out due to cupping before I change it out due to wear. The rears are lasting me between 8 and 10k miles.:zen:

I ran 705s on my VStrom. I got 12K out of the front and 6,500 on the rear. I've switched to Michelins, but the reason is simply that I was looking for a more comfortable tire. I got a bit more vibration from the tread block than I cared for. But based on my use, I'd have no concerns about using them again.

I've switched to Michelins, but the reason is simply that I was looking for a more comfortable tire.

Which ones you go to? A3's

A2 on the rear, A3 on the front. In another 5K or so, I'll have a A3 on the rear. I like them.

Just run a tube ;)

Yep, lot of folks have way better luck with these tires. Don't think the rims on a GS will do tubes, though. Wish I had a good theory as to what happened here. I suspect gravel has a lot to do with it. It'll eat regular grade car tires in short order. But still...

The 705 has come up on other TWT threads, as well as on Stromtroopers and ADVRider. Most people seem to have pretty good success with it, but there are complaints mixed into every thread. My guess is that the quality control isn't as good as most comparable name brand tires, and it's possible the materials themselves aren't quite as good. With any tire, there will be a broken belt or peeled tread here or there; with the 705, it seems to happen just often enough so as to be noticeable.

Im on my second set. Didn't have any problem with the first ones. They did go quick on the Junction ride of last year. It was mostly gravel roads and the rear gave up its life for my heavy use of throtle.
I hope not to have any issues again. I do change my tires before they are fully worn though.

Running 17" 705's on the front and rear of my KLR. Usually get 6.5 to 7k out of the rear....we'll see about the front. :shrug:
Most of the complaints I read about are on 500+ lb bikes.

Just mounted a set of Full Bores

I am normally pretty easy on tires.

The 705 that was on the front has 14.5K on it. It was cupped and noisey but probably would have gone to almost 20K.

The rear Full Bore has 6.2K and was almost done. The rear had a plug in it most it's life.

a8urahym.jpg

I just got 5K out of a 705 rear on the Tiger. Spooned on a Full Bore to replace it.

The 705 front looks like it might never wear out.

For the price, my road choices, and the frequency of tire changes, the 705's and Full Bores offer a good value, good manners on the gravel, and on pavement they are as good as any tire I've run.

Full Bore M41 Radial

Full Bore M41Radial rear is 10/32 or 8mm tread
Full Bore M41 Radial front is 10/32 or 8mm tread

2006 DL 1000 (V-Strom) starting mileage 21,917

Made in Korea: shop date rear 2913/ front 2813

Dave of Daves Cycle in Round Rock mounted them, he likes the safety steel band to prevent tire from separating from the rim in a flat situation. Stiff side wall well help support the bike during a flat situation. Not a tire for the amatuer to install because of the steel band. Yes you can do it but you well never do it again? Balanced out a bit heavy with the weights at 20 grams front and 35grams rear. H speed rating I believe, 130MPH.
Use well be commuting on a 80mph toll road, mostly paved county roads as the county has money to burn being one of the fastest growing in Texas. Maybe I can get in some Gravel Guys favorite roads over in Milam County.:rider:

Re: Full Bore M41 Radial

Full Bore M41Radial rear is 10/32 or 8mm tread
Full Bore M41 Radial front is 10/32 or 8mm tread

2006 DL 1000 (V-Strom) starting mileage 21,917

Made in Korea: shop date rear 2913/ front 2813

Dave of Daves Cycle in Round Rock mounted them, he likes the safety steel band to prevent tire from separating from the rim in a flat situation. Stiff side wall well help support the bike during a flat situation. Not a tire for the amatuer to install because of the steel band. Yes you can do it but you well never do it again?...

Mounted a set of these on my Wee last year. First ever tubeless tires I installed. Went into the job thinking it should be so much easier than the tube tires with rim locks I've done hundreds of times. Got it done but since then I found out local shops only charge $15 a tire to install tubeless tires so will seriously consider outsourcing next time.

_

I've heard talk about "delamination"(not sure exactly what that means) on some of the older non-radial 705's that causes numerous "tiny bubble" leaks. Some folks say it could be caused by over inflation in the mounting process when your trying to seat the bead. I put a set of radial 705's on my dl1000 about 3 months ago. No leaks so far. Just a lot of buzz.

I had a trailer tire delaminate once...dang sure wouldn't want to deal with that if it represented 50% of the total tires under my rump.

Over inflation seems like it could stretch things farther apart than is good. I use a harbor freight gauge... it's gotta be good! (actually use a couple different - both digital and not)

Dunno... sounds like it could just be the bad influence of a heavy motorcycle and cheap county gravel. There is possibly that throttle thing too. :angel:

Most of the problems I've heard about on the 705's came from heavy bikes (GS) running low air pressure. The 705's seem to last longer if you run the max pressure for your tire.

Back