• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Modular Helmets - Do they work yet?

I think when they first appeared on the market, most modular helmets used plastic in parts of the hinge and fastening mechanism. More and more manufacturers have gone to all metal parts, so there should be less failures on impact.

Most of the examples were broken plastic parts.

Or put another way, a slightly greater than 1 in 3 chance of taking it in the face, if just using the math above alone?

Excellent odds :argh:

Next time the casual reader of this thread is in the middle of having the spaghetti bolognese for dinner, put down the fork and go to Google Images and type the words "motorcycle facial injuries" in the search box.

But hey, its Texas. You don't need a full face helmet. You don't even need a stinkin' helmet. Here like in many other states (I guess) its legal to ride with just a doo rag between your skull and the tarmac if so inclined.

Put your hands together for freedom of choice. :clap:

I used to try to ride with out a helmet, but I always thought of my buddy who spent his junior year in high school with his jaw wired shut. And he was wearing a helmet.

I recently bought a modular helmet. It's my first one, so I didn't know if I would even like it compared to the normal full face types I've always had.
So, I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money...like anything in the $400 or above range.

I ended up getting the HJC SyMax III in the $225 to $275 range. I really like it. When the day comes to replace it, then spending more may be justified depending on features of the new helmet, etc. For now though, it works just fine for a respectable price.

Quite a few lower end modulars still use primarily plastic mechanisms. Some are litterally held on by a couple mm of plastic tab. Those I question. Specifically, over time, as the plastic becomes more brittle, how well would they take a hit to the chinbar. On the other hand, nothing will protect you 100% of the time from 100% of injuries. Far more often than not, motorcycle accidents are relatively minor. Something on the order of dumping it at 15 or 20mph after hard braking from a faster speed, or loosing traction in a fairly slow (15-30mph) corner due to oil/gravel/bad rider input/etc. So, if wearing even something with a minimalist chinbar keeps you from planting your teeth into the pavement, that's a worthwhile piece of equipment, IMO.

We do lots and lots of modular helmets, and the benefits for many people far outweigh any downgrade in protection. The convenience is most useful to commuters and long distance tourers, since they are the most likely to take the helmet off and on numerous times in one day, or need to communicate with other riders or the general public. But modulars are great for people who like to stop and take pictures, people who have to wear prescription glasses and have a hard time feeding them into a regular full face opening, people who like to stop and have a drink or smoke break on the side of the road, commuters who frequently get caught in traffic, and people who run errands around town on their bikes. There are still far more fit and style options in standard full faces, modulars can be heavier/nosier (but not always), and there is bound to be *some* additional level of protection to a non-movable chinbar, but for a lot of riders the additional convenience of a modular helmet is worth it.

For some it is worth it, for me it isn't. I had an HJC modular and mine broke (thankfully not during a crash), and I decided that a fixed chinbar was the way to go for my personal comfort level.

I keep looking at the new models that are coming out, but they still don't impress me enough to want to give one a try. Heck I was just up at Moto Liberty a few weeks ago checking them out and I wasn't quite sold just yet.

I have been interested in modulars for a while, but one thing I keep coming back to is not crashworthiness, but venting. The modular lids don't vent as well as the top-shelf race-derived helmets. My helmet choice is for daily rider use in all weather conditions, all through the 100+F days of the summer, and all the hot days that make up the rest of the year.

I have been interested in modulars for a while, but one thing I keep coming back to is not crashworthiness, but venting. The modular lids don't vent as well as the top-shelf race-derived helmets. My helmet choice is for daily rider use in all weather conditions, all through the 100+F days of the summer, and all the hot days that make up the rest of the year.

The Shoei Neotec I recently got vents fantastically. On a 65 degree morning like today, I actually close it because of the rush of air hitting the top of my head. Way better than my Nolan 103 was. As good as my full face Shoei Qwest and almost as good my DS Shoei Hornet.

I've got a Shark Evoline II. I like it - but I don't love it. It's pretty heavy, and balanced a little funny with the chin-bar flipped around to the back:

shark_evoline2_st_helmet_detail.jpg

I can ride with it that way for a little bit, but not too long. Works out well, though, as it encourages me to keep it flipped down.

The shell on this helmet is also pretty large, it looks and feels significantly larger than my non-modular helmet. But the fit is very good, easy all-day helmet, easy on-and-off with glasses. And, the flip down sun-screen is very handy; I don't think I'd buy a new helmet without that feature.

I'm not convinced they are the best choice. I am convinced they are light years better than say, 10 years ago.

As with everything, do your homework. Fit is still #1, followed by the function you seek. Make sure they have metal hinges, and latches. Steel is preferred, but finding out exactly what the "metal" is made of may be difficult.

I still prefer the 1 piece and probably always will, but the modulars have certainly imprroved and could very well be a contender now.

Cheers

If you haven't found webbikeworld already, scroll down this page to the Flip-Up and the Modular Helmets section for quite a few comprehensive reviews.

As far as off-the-beaten-path goes this one is certainly interesting.

d5b77ff35e232fa2479fcd0a67e496a9.image.420x420.jpg

That Web Bike World link is useful no matter what kind of helmet you might buy. If you have a helmet that fits, then the shape classification gives a good starting point for others to review.

I got mine a little over a year ago thinking it would be cool to be able to smoke without removing the helmet.

Never did that and I quit smoking soon after.

My Nolan N103 is for sale now if anyone wants to try one on the cheap.

I've crash tested one. I'm still alive.:eek2:
I'm riding with a new one now.
Tom

Me too. Low sided at 40 mph in a GMax modular. The helmet worked perfectly. I did not receive any head injury at all, despite my helmeted head slamming into the street with a discernable thud.

As a wearer of eyeglasses, I really like the fact that I can flex the helmet a bit to get it over the glasses. It's much more cumbersome putting on a full-face helmet.

Same, and I've tried on several full face helmets.

Back