• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Intro from Temple, TX

Tuco

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Dan in Temple here. 21 years ago a new job brought me from Virginia to Temple (I got here as soon as I could, really) :doh:. About 2 years ago that company made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, so I’m now retired.

Several weeks ago I was watching MCRider on Youtube and noticed on the right side-bar a video on TAT. I’m thinking “what the **** is TAT?” One click and I’m hooked. Scratched Sturgis off the bucket list and inserted TAT. And also several BDRs.

While I’m new to the adventure riding scene, I’m not new to riding. Got my MC license at 16, a long 43 years ago. Did some non-competitive dirt biking with my 2 boys years ago. I’m now working to get comfortable and confident on this 1200 GS, as well as acquiring proper gear.

Speaking of gear, as you folks most certainly know, the price ranges and features of adv stuff boggle the mind. I’ve been researching 4 season jackets. Prices range from a cheap date to a new kidney. Any opinions on Scorpion (Yosemite) and Rev-it (Sand 3) jackets?

Maximus_flavius kindly invited me to the Meet/Greet/Eat in Bluff Dale today (10/21/18) but I can’t make that. Anyways, hope to meet up and ride with you soon.

Welcome, Dan.

I'm no gear expert, but I have a scorpion jacket (older, textile, discontinued) and helmet (exo at950 modular adv), both of which I like a lot. Haven't had to use them, if you know what I mean, but they appear to be solid quality.

How do I get my company to make me an offer I can't refuse?

Dan, welcome to TWT. I'm in Temple 2 or 3 days a week working on a house my wife bought - it's her "Fixer Upper and I'm the Fixer."

Maybe we can meet at Hardtails for lunch and BOCs sometime? I'll be in west Texas till 11/05.

Later, Bud...

We're not all like Aaron

Welcome to the forum, there's always someone here with more knowledge (or at least opinions) on any bike related subject you can think of.
Enjoy the site and the GS, they are an awesome machine. (But you know that already)

Welcome

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Welcome. Scorpion makes good stuff; I've only seen Rev-it online. There are a lot of excellent brands out there. Personally, I've become a fan of Joe Rocket and even more, Tourmaster. Just my opinion, but I think Tourmaster is the best value in jackets - quality for dollars spent - out there today.

I've got the Rev-it Sand 2 - and I just love it. Fit and finish is great - all the little details are so much more sturdy than my previous gear (Tourmaster - replaced multiple zippers over 5 years).

Welcome, Dan.

I'm no gear expert, but I have a scorpion jacket (older, textile, discontinued) and helmet (exo at950 modular adv), both of which I like a lot. Haven't had to use them, if you know what I mean, but they appear to be solid quality.

How do I get my company to make me an offer I can't refuse?

The reason I couldn't refuse the offer is because I had no choice! It's one of those long sad stories of where an ego-driven NYC hedge fund activist attempts to take control of a well run and profitable company. The end result was, of course, the company is now a shell of what it was, and lots of people lost jobs. I consider myself fortunate; my severance was fairly generous. The silver lining is the hedge fund jerk lost LOTs of money :clap:, and still has law suits stacked up against him.:lol2: He also lost clout with his clients.

Dan, welcome to TWT. I'm in Temple 2 or 3 days a week working on a house my wife bought - it's her "Fixer Upper and I'm the Fixer."

Maybe we can meet at Hardtails for lunch and BOCs sometime? I'll be in west Texas till 11/05.

Later, Bud...

Thanks Bud. Sounds good. You are referring to Hardtails in Georgetown I presume. I'm going to be out of town myself for an undetermined amount of time, probably a week or so.

The reason I couldn't refuse the offer is because I had no choice! It's one of those long sad stories of where an ego-driven NYC hedge fund activist attempts to take control of a well run and profitable company. The end result was, of course, the company is now a shell of what it was, and lots of people lost jobs. I consider myself fortunate; my severance was fairly generous. The silver lining is the hedge fund jerk lost LOTs of money :clap:, and still has law suits stacked up against him.[emoji38]2: He also lost clout with his clients.
Oh boy, that's no good. Yeah I don't want any of that. Sorry I misunderstood, but glad to know some of this wrong is turning into right.

Welcome to TWT. We do the meet and greet every month. Let me know if you find a spot in Temple you like that would work for lunch. There is a Cycle gear store in Killeen if you want to check out gear. Also tons of gear on here for sale and sometimes free. I am just up the road from you in Lampasas. KP

Back