• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The "Non-Invasive" Dirt Roads Around Austin Thread

A simple sign saying "No Trespassing" or "Private Road" keeps me away. I haven't been confronted by a belligerent person yet but I am assuming it will happen.

Many times in the Texas Hill Country, the area just on either side of the county roads is often on private land. A few years ago, I stopped on a such a road just west of Fredericksburg to stretch my legs and drink some water. The property owner who was watching drove up in his truck and said I was on private property and needed to leave. He followed me with his truck until I exited on 965.

:shrug:

RB

Several years ago I was riding with a buddy on a dirt road and I had some guy all of a sudden chase us down in his car, almost ran us off the road and start threatening us. I politely apologized and he kept going off on us so I took my helmet off so he could see my face and said I didn't want any trouble and we would move on but he kept going off on us and made some comment about getting shot. When he said that I looked him in the eye and said, "Are you really going to kill someone over this? Would you really take someone's life, take a child's father over a this? Would you really do that???" I just kept staring him directly in the eyes and he finally calmed down. Then I apologized again, got back on my bike, put on my helmet and rode off wondering if he really had a gun or not and thanked God nothing happened except an exchange of words. Never been back to that rode again... :ponder:

and there's the problem, in today's world, people have lost their freaking mind. You never know if the other person is really that crazy or not ! ! ! :eek2:

I don't know how much this poor behavior is partly the result of "squidding" teenagers on dirt bikes and race bikes on the street. There is a plethora of videos of boys riding on private property resulting in the wrath of the property owner.

...course this rider may have made an innocent wrong turn.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViDjt7Y379k"]Dirt bike rider and attacking property owner[/ame]

:eek2:

The case for using a GoPro video while riding is even stronger.

RB

Last edited:
There quite a few roads in western Lee County that I think would make for a good dual sport ride. Quite a few rural dirt roads in the sticks, not a lot of vehicle traffic, and some that start paved and end in dirt or vice versa.

I don't know how much this poor behavior is partly the result of "squidding" teenagers on dirt bikes and race bikes on the street. There is a plethora of videos of boys riding on private property resulting in the wrath of the property owner.

...course this rider may have made an innocent wrong turn.

Dirt bike rider and attacking property owner

:eek2:

The case for using a GoPro video while riding is even stronger.

RB

I hope that guy is prosecuted to the max !

On a CR in the Barksdale area ran into a high fenced gate across the road with private property and no trespassing signs. Called Sheriff, their maps showed it was public but they referred me to county judge. The judge said it was a public road. Went back a week later and rode through it with no problems.

On another note, myself and my son-in-law we’re hosting some riders from Houston area. We were on Salt Branch Loop in FBG area. Stopped for a quick break we were approached by Game Warden. Said guys on dirt bikes were shooting up signs and riding on private property. He called my info in, took pictures of my license, inspected my hand gun and took pictures of the model and serial # for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a CR in the Barksdale area ran into a high fenced gate across the road with private property and no trespassing signs. Called Sheriff, their maps showed it was public but they referred me to county judge. The judge said it was a public road. Went back a week later and rode through it with no problems.

On another note, myself and my son-in-law we’re hosting some riders from Houston area. We were on Salt Branch Loop in FBG area. Stopped for a quick break we were approached by Game Warden. Said guys on dirt bikes were shooting up signs and riding on private property. He called my info in, took pictures of my license, inspected my hand gun and took pictures of the model and serial # for whatever reason.

He took all your info so you could be loaded into the "Right Wing Radical Gun Owner Database" ! ! ! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I was on the road from Kerrville that heads up thru Harper, Doss and ends up just east of Mason on 87 last week. Was in Kerrville visiting friends and just wandering around looking at the countryside. I saw the Salt Branch Loop and wondered about it and many other dirt roads along that stretch. There were several decent looking roads heading into the hills with large signboards with the names of all the ranches on the road. Are these legal to explore?

Reactions: Vec
I was on the road from Kerrville that heads up thru Harper, Doss and ends up just east of Mason on 87 last week. Was in Kerrville visiting friends and just wandering around looking at the countryside. I saw the Salt Branch Loop and wondered about it and many other dirt roads along that stretch. There were several decent looking roads heading into the hills with large signboards with the names of all the ranches on the road. Are these legal to explore?

yes

i ride that area frequently, just did it Friday

Attachments

• 8DD95E2E-6820-43FA-B254-ACAECA7282C5.jpeg
    8DD95E2E-6820-43FA-B254-ACAECA7282C5.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 377
  • B31EEB24-BE8F-4524-96B5-7D78ECF97FE4.png
    B31EEB24-BE8F-4524-96B5-7D78ECF97FE4.png
    215.1 KB · Views: 371
  • 8860D85E-EF4D-4B7E-84EE-7D5F4C078279.jpeg
    8860D85E-EF4D-4B7E-84EE-7D5F4C078279.jpeg
    547.6 KB · Views: 375
If it's not on this map, it is not a state or county maintained road,
I should have added, some roads not on this map are still accessible to the public, but if a road is not state or county maintained then we don't have a right to its use. Kyle Ranch Rd west of Bandera comes to mind. The owners still allow public access, but they are not required to do so.

Down in Gonzales County there are several... no make that MANY roads that are dirt / gravel combination. May be a little rough on the tires because of the gravel size....just depends on what you have.
I am more familiar with those South & West of Gonzales.
From Austin, I would try West out of Gonzales to Oak Forest and down into Monthalia and then into Bebe and then to Wrightsboro and then Pilgrim and then Cheapside and back up 183.
I rode 175 miles two weekends ago on my XT250 on those gravel roads of gonzales, lavaca and fayette counties. Basically between flatonia south to shiner on 95 then west to gonzales and north to waelder. Lots of gravel roads and lots of fun. Next time I plan on heading east towards hallettesville and I’ll then north in the direction of Schulenburg. Have a family farm in shiner so that’s always my starting point

Hey! new to the forum.. I have to say that love the map.. looking forward to ride many of them on my f700GS.. getting myself into off-road but still bit new to me.. wonder if there is a group that I can join so I can feel bit safe instead of try by myself. preference on weekends as I am still a corporate slave ;)

Hey! new to the forum.. I have to say that love the map.. looking forward to ride many of them on my f700GS.. getting myself into off-road but still bit new to me.. wonder if there is a group that I can join so I can feel bit safe instead of try by myself. preference on weekends as I am still a corporate slave ;)

I'm new to dual-sporting myself. Been riding on the road for the last 20 years, but recently got a DR650 and am enjoying it so far. I live on the east side and also ride weekends.

Keep an eye on this thread:

I try to put together weekend rides in the area sometimes.

Also look for Sander's rides and the TARA rides as well. I think the next ones are on the 6th and 20th of February.

That little practice ‘area’ on the the east side of Austin that we’re not supposed to talk about... Today I’m sad to report that it was twice as crowded as I’ve ever seen it.

I saw another person this time.
(There goes the neighborhood.)

That little practice ‘area’ on the the east side of Austin that we’re not supposed to talk about... Today I’m sad to report that it was twice as crowded as I’ve ever seen it.

I saw another person this time.
(There goes the neighborhood.)
Where is this?

Back