• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heart of Texas Adv Ride

I started this thread in 3-01-2013. :rider:

Its not complete but almost.

Tracks posted in posts 1 and 5. I used BaseCamp. :rider:

Go ride!
Great work!
Curious, have you verified the mileage? Below shows the supposedly 2,200 mile Lone Star Loop in red and your 1,956 mile labeled loop in purple. Something is not adding up.
7422854537553647d45bb3afa99380a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I have the Lonestar Loop also and started to post that picture also. I did ride it from Castroville to I-10. He did a great job and he verified the route in one go.

I noticed the mileage difference, it doesn't look right does it? I have not ridden the total route from start to finish, I would like to do that when I get it finished. I drew a route in BaseCamp and got the miles there. I have not traced over the LSLoop in Basecamp yet to see the difference, I will do that and post up my results.

Thanks

Great work!
Curious, have you verified the mileage? Below shows the supposedly 2,200 mile Lone Star Loop in red and your 1,956 mile labeled loop in purple. Something is not adding up.
7422854537553647d45bb3afa99380a8.jpg

I just drew the LoneStar Loop in Basecamp and came up with 2214 miles.

Then I checked my Heart of Texas again and came up with 1958 miles.

Update: Complete 4-11-2019 1939 miles

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to ride both now and record miles. LOL
31e3e777598321551715e6f134542b70.jpg

Sound Interesting Dave?
I'm planning on doing it.

Lone Star Loop Benefit Ride April 20th 2019

Sound Interesting Dave?
I'm planning on doing it.

Lone Star Loop Benefit Ride April 20th 2019
Moab ride that week. I would prefer to ride it with less traffic and a smaller group anyway.

March maybe?

The cooler the better and smaller groups are our friends...:rider:

For years I have been going bass fishing during March and April. Sold my boat last year and I am going to ride this year in March.

I plan on riding a 1 or 2 weeks in March and I have 3 options for the ride.
1. finish scouting the route, 3 or 4 days on my GS
2. ride the total outer loop, on my Versys Adventure
3. Go to Arkansas on my GS

In between now and March I may be able to finish scouting this route, depending on weather. If so I will only have 2 options to choose from.

Next weekend is Super Bowl Sunday and will be watching.

I am doing the Heart of Tx route very soon. Dirtryder said he will join me, we are planning on leaving Thursday, 2/28/2019 and try to complete it in 7 days or less. I will be taking my Adventure Versys and Joe will ride his BMW R100GSPD.

Will be watching the weather to make sure we will not be riding in the rain the whole trip.

Weather pending.

Let's ride!

I am doing the Heart of Tx route very soon. Dirtryder said he will join me, we are planning on leaving Thursday, 2/28/2019 and try to complete it in 7 days or less. I will be taking my Adventure Versys and Joe will ride his BMW R100GSPD.

Will be watching the weather to make sure we will not be riding in the rain the whole trip.

Weather pending.

Let's ride!

You really ought to start a new thread and have all the info in your opening post. You will need to include when/where to meet for the start of the ride.

Also, I will stick it on the TWT calendar if you have a definite date.

Dirtryder and I didn't do the ride due to cold wet weather.

I did get out and ride some of the NTBScouted.

Gymply also scouted some and post tracks here on TWT along with pictures, here is 1. I'm not sure where this is but I hope it's on the route. Thanks Gymply

See post 1 for updated tracks.

Last edited:
You should post those pics in the Day Rides thread in the Story Telling forum, that way they will show up in the header banner image rotation.

Any chance you have a GPX track file for the whole route?

Several of the roads that cut through the SHNF on the West side of I-45 are presently closed. You'd have to stay on FM 149 and FM 1375 from Richards over to New Waverly.

Some of those photos look phenomenal! You are actually stopping to take photos and look at things! That's unheard of! šŸ¤ŖšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I wanna ride with you!!!

No I do stop. I am usually running about 60 mph on a dirt road standing on the pegs in a wheelie crossed up holding onto the handlebars with one hand and taking pictures with the other. Lets Ride!!! :rider::eek2:

Think you can handle that? :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Not really, totally kidding.

Truth is that I do tend to ride a little up tempo. I do stop, take photos, stretch my legs and drink some water, but I don't spend much time doing so. A lot of my pictures are taken without getting off the bike. When I come to a cool looking shady spot I love to stop and take a short break, eat a some snacks etc.. I like to ride and that's what I do, I like to keep moving and usually put in long days.

You are more than welcome to ride with me.

Well... maybe I can one day. Still looking for someone who likes to mosey along and stop when something old or interesting looking pops up. When I'm with a group of course I'll ride as the group does. Honestly, we don't come across too many interesting views or things as most of the roads around Houston are just cattle ranch access roads.

Back