• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Interesting roads...

Nice! I’ve never even thought of doing big shell on a bike. That’s going on my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to ride to big shell on any bike but I really want to take my Jeep sometime.

I got a lil house in rockport. We could trailer to corpus n then ride the beach

JMZ, you need to break in that ktm, aspr will bring his xrl and I’m sure stromtx is crazy enough to do it on his weestrom. Let’s plan it

JMZ, you need to break in that ktm, aspr will bring his xrl and I’m sure stromtx is crazy enough to do it on his weestrom. Let’s plan it

:nono: The 500 won`t see the coast and I won`t ride the Tenere there.

Which road was Bigshell road. Would be willing to do it on the R1150GS.

That would be quite the feat on a GS. Mine would definitely need a more aggressive rear tire and lose the hard cases

I got a lil house in rockport. We could trailer to corpus n then ride the beach

In.

"Disproportionate number of smugglers and lawmen."

Bringing a pistol.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've done 3.5 of these roads. The .5 being the entire Hwy 87 into High Island. When the road stops at 18 mile marker jump over and ride the beach and rocks (broken asphalt) the rest of the way in.

Bigshell Road will be next. If not too deep of sand I would attempt on the Tenere.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I've done 3.5 of these roads. The .5 being the entire Hwy 87 into High Island. When the road stops at 18 mile marker jump over and ride the beach and rocks (broken asphalt) the rest of the way in.

Bigshell Road will be next. If not too deep of sand I would attempt on the Tenere.

Southtex has a crib

Big shell is always a gamble. Fished it plenty in 4x4’s. Low tide you can run the beach pretty easy, high tide might stop you in your tracks. Driving on the dunes is illegal and enforcement is strict. One thing for sure, 120 miles round trip will cure any sand riding issues

If drunk uncle wants to do it for training , I’m in and will be on the xrl.
Don’t think I can or want to try it on the GSA.

We did Big Shell this year on the CT90. Had to stop at the 23 mile marker. The sand that day was too much for me. Following video starts in or near Big Shell. The turnaround is near MM 23.

Very isolated once you hit 4wd only. And that was a Saturday 11am mid May.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKTl3uZjw30"]Padre May 2018 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
We did Big Shell this year on the CT90. Had to stop at the 23 mile marker. The sand that day was too much for me. Following video starts in or near Big Shell. The turnaround is near MM 23.

Very isolated once you hit 4wd only. And that was a Saturday 11am mid May.

Padre May 2018 - YouTube
It looked like a handful on the ct

...Bigshell Road will be next. If not too deep of sand I would attempt on the Tenere.

After watching the above video changed my mind about riding Big Shell. Nothing interesting about that road for me.

After watching the above video changed my mind about riding Big Shell. Nothing interesting about that road for me.

Its practice for Dakar

I agree. Plenty of more interesting places to ride. I took my 96 Ford 350 diesel 4x4 crew cab to big shell years ago. The sand got very deep . Trans temp gauge was reading way high so I turned around and came back out. Lucky I didn't stick it while turning around.
PS. I could be halfway to Arkansas by the time I get to the national park

01c81e9f456cf2be7bb61e838e57be1c.jpg

Last edited:
Asspar , do you have a running bike yet ? If not , quit typing and start working on it.

I will probably tow it down with the van and camp. See how far I make. What the ****. Sounds like a good time. Will post up when I do do it. Late January or February is what it looks like. Just got a set of 1150GSA stock shocks I am going to send off for rebuild and respiring before hand. It is a project, what an R1150GS Rally would be.

Asspar , do you have a running bike yet ? If not , quit typing and start working on it.
Says the guy scared of his ktm rusting away
I will probably tow it down with the van and camp. See how far I make. What the ****. Sounds like a good time. Will post up when I do do it. Late January or February is what it looks like. Just got a set of 1150GSA stock shocks I am going to send off for rebuild and respiring before hand. It is a project, what an R1150GS Rally would be.
Not sure about southtex, but I could probably do feburary.

Back