• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

finding coolant leak

Reaction score
well I thought I had a small pin hole leak but the radiator shop says no. so what are the possibilities? the top right hose, leak is on the right side, seems fine to me. I don't know what is too pliant and doesn't look to have a split in it. I do have an aftermarket exhaust, Yoshi, seems like an outside chance that this is causing the engine to run hotter and forcing some fluid out this top hose. anybody else run into this? perhaps an ecm remap is necessary. idiot light does not come on at any time. any ideas much appreciated.

I also had a small leak where I noticed some coolant leaking on my 2007 Bandit about 6 months ago so I started checking everything and on mine it was nothing more than one of the radiator hose clamps,I can't remember which one but I loosened all of them checked everything and re tightened them and haven't had a problem since.Hopefully yours will be as simple.

I have run into a annoying little leak once that turned out to be a little crack inside the hose that let coolant reach the reinforcing cords in the hose and then wick slowly down the inside of the hose and ooze out the end at the radiator.

after talking with a bike friendly co-worker I think I can rule out the Yoshi as being a cause. Pressure not heat is the issue. so do I replace the hose or not. If it works its a cheap fix, just don't want to keep spending money on one thing after another. I'm thinking I'll wrap the hose where the clamp goes and tighten that sucker as much as possible.

Just inspect all your hose areas really close and you should be able to actually see where the coolant is leaking out,I didn't even know I had a leak until I could smell the coolant burning off on the header.But when I looked at everything I could see where it was at,I think it was kind of a whiteish color right at the top of the hose where the clamp connects.Good Luck.

Two tips from my small leak:

1) make sure the house clamps are not only tight enough, but in the right place. If they're on the ridge that is on the inlet/outlet they won't seal right.

2) If you find where it's dripping, or where it's wet, follow the wet uphill and/or toward the front of the bike.

That's the odd part, I can never see any trace of coolant on or near the suspect hose. there was some whitish at the bottom of the radiator which is why my mechanic thought it was a pin hole leak. so any way its back together again, rode it today and rides fine. I'll just have to keep an eye on things. thanks all for the feedback.

I'm not real familiar with the Bandit but I assume it has an overflow bottle. If it is only leaking when pressure builds up look for a small leak in the overflow hose where it attaches to the radiator neck. Different type bike but I helped a friend with a leak similar to yours and we finally traced it to a small hole in that hose under the clamp at the filler neck. When pressure would build up in the radiator and the cap opened to let overflow out into the overflow bottle a small bit of coolant would leak out and run down the front of the radiator.

I posted a reply in the main thread but I'll post it here to. On the Bandit 1250's, they have the goofiest overflow hose systems ever and a fairly weak stock radiator cap. It is a common problem on these bikes to have coolant puke out the overflow system. They most often puke coolant while idling or turned off while hot. The overflow tube comes out near the kickstand so watch for coolant drips from that. The solution to overflow puke is to simplify the overflow system by doing away with the feet of extra tubing and joints to make it like a standard overflow tank.

Another thing is that our Bandits like is for the overflow tank level to be set at just a hair over the low line while cold. Anymore than that and it will puke coolant out so it may seem like you have a leak if you constantly add to the full mark.

If you absolutely aren't having overflow issues, I'd suspect a pinhole leak from a hose or clamp. Using a coolant system pressure tester can be a huge time saver when tracking down a pinhole leak.

Back