• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sub-Thread: Tires

Found this out with 10 min. of searching:

Balancing Beads – Warranty Void

Dunlop:
•Tires injected with dry/liquid balancers or sealants, or in which anything other than air has been used as the supporting medium.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/warranty-info/

Yokohama:
Tires that have had material added after leaving a Yokohama manufacturing plant, such as fillers, sealants, balancing substances and external tire treatments or materials of any kind. If the added material is the cause of a failure, a tire will not be accepted for warranty credit.

Michelin:
What about balancing beads or liquids?

Michelin does not recommend the use of dry or liquid balancers/sealers or any other balancing materials. Tires and Tubes into which these have been injected will not be covered under warranty.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/a...urchase-and-use-of-my-tires/(language)/eng-US

Bridgestone:
Tires with sealant, balance, or other filler material that was not originally applied or inserted by the tire manufacturer. (#6)

http://www.bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/addinfo/warranty.pdf

About 5 months ago I got in on a special offer from Pirelli in which I recieved a 120/55ZR-17 Pirelli Angel GT Sport Touring tire shipped to me for free, as long as I also purchased the matching rear tire from any place I wanted to, which I bought from American Motorcycle Tires.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_188_882

I finally installed both tires on my 1250 about two months ago and I really like these tires so far, and they far out perform the BT023's in grip and handling and have made a huge improvement in my bikes overall handling. So now I just have to see how long they last as they are touted as a liong mileage tire, but as it stands right now I would never buy BT023's again.

Found this out with 10 min. of searching:

Balancing Beads – Warranty Void

Dunlop:
•Tires injected with dry/liquid balancers or sealants, or in which anything other than air has been used as the supporting medium.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/warranty-info/

Yokohama:
Tires that have had material added after leaving a Yokohama manufacturing plant, such as fillers, sealants, balancing substances and external tire treatments or materials of any kind. If the added material is the cause of a failure, a tire will not be accepted for warranty credit.

Michelin:
What about balancing beads or liquids?

Michelin does not recommend the use of dry or liquid balancers/sealers or any other balancing materials. Tires and Tubes into which these have been injected will not be covered under warranty.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/a...urchase-and-use-of-my-tires/(language)/eng-US

Bridgestone:
Tires with sealant, balance, or other filler material that was not originally applied or inserted by the tire manufacturer. (#6)

http://www.bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/addinfo/warranty.pdf

I stand corrected.
However after reading all of the warranty statement from Bridgestone, I realize there is no warranty…did you read that document? I for sure I have no warranty because I live and ride in Canada, and the tires I get from the US aren't covered because I ride outside the US. I may also have spun the wheel! There is also a law that states they would have to prove the product you use caused the tire failure. I can see why some people would not want to use the beads. Warranty or not I will continue to use them because I know they work.

About 5 months ago I got in on a special offer from Pirelli in which I recieved a 120/55ZR-17 Pirelli Angel GT Sport Touring tire shipped to me for free, as long as I also purchased the matching rear tire from any place I wanted to, which I bought from American Motorcycle Tires.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_188_882

I finally installed both tires on my 1250 about two months ago and I really like these tires so far, and they far out perform the BT023's in grip and handling and have made a huge improvement in my bikes overall handling. So now I just have to see how long they last as they are touted as a liong mileage tire, but as it stands right now I would never buy BT023's again.

How many miles were you getting out of your BT-023's? Were they the GT's? I'm also very interested in these tires as the BT-023's are going to be replaced by the T-30's and Bridgestone has stated they grip better, but will have a shorter mileage by 5%-10% I liked my BT-023 GT's and I'm kinda surprised they are being replaced.

I recently put a set of Pilot Power 3 tires on my Bandit. I only get to ride a couple thousand miles a year so the time frame will still be 3 or so years until I get the usual 6,000 miles out of them. The center portion of the Power 3 is supposed to be even more wear resistant than the Power 2. And the hard compound is under the soft compound all the way to the edge. Supposedly offering better stability.
Rode up to The Tail of The Dragon the weekend of Oct 26 and it was awesome. These tires turn in a lot better than the Power 2. Might be because of a more triagnlular construction, or might be because the Power 2 on the rear of my bike was almost flat in the center. Went to a 190/50 on the rear. It is the same height as the 180/55 Power was when it was taken off. That tells you how flat the center had become on the old tire.
I like to lean more than the previous owner, so hopefully I will not wear out the center of these tires quite so much. And maybe the new center compound will help also.

Even at half a tire left when putting new tires on before a vacation before getting to the know the true mileage of the PR2s I also noticed improved turn in mainly from them being round again! ;)

For what its worth. I just spent 3 weeks on my new PR3's I just did 9,000K's on them. Going from Calgary to Los Angeles and around there. Great Tyres. Great grip warmed up very quickly pushed to there limits on the little Sur and Big Sur :rider: I havnt noticed a lot of wear on them and I was pretty heavy laden.

I did a 5000 mile tour this spring and put brand new Michelin PR-4s front and back. 2500 miles in, the front tire was cupping so bad I had to replace it because it was like riding on a rumble strip. Michelin eventually covered it on warranty...2 months later. The back tire was down to the wear bars after 6000 miles. I used to easily get 7500 - 8000 miles out of the Bridgestone BT-023's. I have purchased my last set of Michelins.....they just don't live up to the hype or the price. There are as good or better for a lot less money IMO.

I stayed with the PR 2's for 4 sets. Always in the 10 to 12K mile range.

I also stuck to the 2s but then stock went byebye when I needed to purchase so went to the 3s... So far 3 is on the front at about 5k or so still looking great and awaiting the rear 2 to wear out so I can put on the 3 on there! ;)

Changed out front tire to Parilli Tourismo. Had 8631 on the Pilot Power CT2
that I ordered my mistake. Did the change in June. Wanting to try something else and see if I could get rid of the center strip that I've been getting with the dual compound tires. Just changed out the front as it was to the wear marks where the rear is still good for awhile. Since the Bandit is just being used local now ( 200 mile radius ) as the Long Distance days are over for me on a bike. Heck, only have put about 4300 miles since putting it back on the road after my crash last year in May. Actually have been on my old 2000 KLR 650 more for local stuff than the Bandit.

I got my PR4 rear tyre just over a week ago and so far so good. I have hit one or two twisties, had one or two high speed runs with some good corners and the tyre seems to handle well even though it is not yet properly scrubbed in. I must say that I don't really feel that much difference if any at all between the PR4 and my old 2CT which was toast by the time I changed it out. Still I can't fault the PR4 in any way.

I will keep you all posted on my findings and experience with regards to performance and longevity of the PR4.

The "scrub in" issue is a non issue with the newer stock of PR3/4s. I usually push it slowly and can notice the loose feeling... 50 miles in and on vacation I was getting into the turns pretty hard. Apparently after some research it seems the old way of putting the protective coating is no longer what is used. So no more warm up cool down 5+ times 200-400 miles bs! ;)

My PR4s instantly felt better than the Shenkos that the PO had put on. I still took it easy the first few hundred miles, but probably didn't need to. The hardest thing was getting used to a round profile after the 190/50 Shenko. 3500 miles later the rear has just the barest beginning of a chicken strip flat spot, and I'm a fairly conservative rider. Based on how they look at this point versus previous tires, including PR2s, I expect to get a minimum of 12k miles on the back one.

Oh, and they handle better than any tire I've ridden, dry or wet. I think they're one of the best tire values out there.

My PR4s instantly felt better than the Shenkos that the PO had put on. I still took it easy the first few hundred miles, but probably didn't need to. The hardest thing was getting used to a round profile after the 190/50 Shenko. 3500 miles later the rear has just the barest beginning of a chicken strip flat spot, and I'm a fairly conservative rider. Based on how they look at this point versus previous tires, including PR2s, I expect to get a minimum of 12k miles on the back one.

Oh, and they handle better than any tire I've ridden, dry or wet. I think they're one of the best tire values out there.

They float like a butterfly and sting like a bee when they need to:trust:
I'm using the PR4 GTs on my Concours and they hold that big bike on the road in the twisties, and I push it pretty hard most of the time.

I have not tried the PR4's but have run many pairs of 2's and 3's. Easily the best rain tires ever and a fantastic all around tire from touring to sport riding. I will run nothing else, no matter the price.

I've had a couple sets of PR2s, PR3s, Pilot Pures and a mix of these 3 together, all good tires wet or dry. The most confidence I've had was with the last two sets of Roadsmart 2s. Even got better milage witch says allot considering the mods to the engine and the heavy throttle I use on the Bandit. No matter which set up of tires I use still seem to go through 2 rears to 1 front. :lol2:
Engine doesn't smoke when parked but there sure is smoke on some of my launches and coming out of allot of corners. :rider:

After a bit over 12K miles I have swapped out the Dunlop Roadsmart2s for Pireli Angel GTs. First impression of the Angels is good, haven't had a chance to put many miles on them yet, no issues with scrubbing them in, felt good immediately with no issues, I did take it easy and haven't pushed at all yet.

Hey Magpie! I don't think you can go wrong with all the great tire options. I've been running Roadsmarts and find they deliver the performance I want with the grip I need. Not sure how some of the folks get such incredible mileage, but maybe I just twist the grip too much. Consider some of the tires with different types of rubber for mileage and grip, but go with what makes sense to you. They're only good for so long so if you regret it, you'll have time to try another. Always run fresh tires, never worn shoes. Life's too precious. Good luck!

My front PR3 has 10k on it and its starting to finally wear. Rear is @ 12k and still looks good for another 12k! :D But since it has a plug in it I will retire it come next year but for now its all good! And yes I run my bags all year (extra weight) with tools, etc. ALL the time! And yes I'm not ALWAYS throttle happy but at times! :D

Here are pics of my PR4s at 11k miles. Some squaring, but they look like they still have plenty of life left.

Front Michelin PR4 at 11k miles.JPG

Rear Michelin PR4 at 11k miles.JPG

Okay, it's been a year of riding on my rear PR4 and I have to say that so far so good. It still has considerable tread left. I have put about 6000KM on it since new and have also added a new front PR4 a few months back. The bike handles great. I guess I will have to chime in about a few months later to give a better detailed report but so far, both front and rear PR4 gets my thumbs up.

Been running a Pirelli Angel GT front on my '07 Bandit for a few thousand miles now and like it. JUst recieved a rear for the bandit as finally saw the wear marks smoothing out with about 14K miles on the rear PR2. Yes, I'm very easy on tires.

Put Pilot Road 3 tires on at 2600 miles, currently at 7600 miles. Rear tire has a plug in it for about 3500 of those 4000 miles. Tires barely look half worn

Back