• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

K Trail?

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Snapp
Hey guys and gals, looking to hit the K Trail in OK. next month and i keep hearing mixed reviews on wether or not the trail is completely open or impassable.
Has anyone been out there lately that can confirm its conditions, and can post up a route if it is different than what comes up on the google?
Also, myself and a couple others are planning to do this. So if anyone else wants to go, i can put an upcoming ride thread up about it. And if anyone knows it like the back of their hands, then maybe they could lead the way. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No pro by any means, but will be on the klr.

I keep hearing the road is closed, a lot of it became private, locked gates and all kinds of things. But then i hear, "my buddy just took it last week" or last month. Just looking to see if anyone here can say they have actually seen it, rode it and can say yes you can still actually drive/ride the trail as of recent.

The first section sometimes referred to as Clayton trail or nine pines road will be the toughest on the KLR. If you are a proficient trail rider, can deal with climbs, lots of rocks you will be fine. The gates people talk about are not technically the trail, that would be part of the honobia wildlife management are that borders k trail to the south. There are definitely lots of private places along k trail but I have always found them friendly or I'm gone before they come out. I have ridden parts of it in the last couple of weeks and it's got some big mud holes, some with work a rounds. I haven't ridden the far western section Lately but I'm sure it's fine. If it's not there is plenty of good riding in the area to make up for it.

I could possibly go with you just depends on what type of trip and timing. I will send you a pm.

My buddy and I are planning on hitting the K Trail in probably 2 or 3 weeks - He is riding a GSA1200 and i ride a DRZ400 - we've never rode that trail and surely looking for any tips or tricks. We most likely going to ride the K trail the first day then ride around the Ouachita NF (wolf pen gap trail complex). I am more familiar with the Ouachita NF....

My buddy and I are planning on hitting the K Trail in probably 2 or 3 weeks - He is riding a GSA1200 and i ride a DRZ400 - we've never rode that trail and surely looking for any tips or tricks. We most likely going to ride the K trail the first day then ride around the Ouachita NF (wolf pen gap trail complex). I am more familiar with the Ouachita NF....

Not saying it can't be done, but the GSA will be a handful on parts of the K-trail. Wolf pen will be fine as long as you don't get stuck behind too many UTV parade lines.

If you intend to ride out of Clayton on the Clayton trail to the K Trail west to east and over to Mena, I would say the 1200 will be a handful. Not saying it can't be done. My son rode it two up with his 14 year old son in March on a KLR and I was on a DR650. If you catch the trail off 271 south of Talihina and ride east it wouldn't be nearly as difficult. Long deep mud puddles usually have a good hard bottom, but can be deep. East to west from 271 to Clayton is much easier than west to east from Clayton, but would still be over my head on a big bike. I've only been over the trail twice, so others on here have a lot more experience on it than I, and I am certainly not a big bike rider. Keep us posted.

thanks for the input! we are probably ride on the clayton trail to k trail all the way to 259, then jump back on d1650/256/nf6025...left on 295/d4798/nf6026 to 63. follow 63/8 into Mena. From there im not sure where to go, is that where the k trail basically ends?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've ridden east of 259 a few times. Only had a bigger bike then (Wee Strom) but I often go where most small bike riders go. Consider not turning left onto 279 (Yeah, don't give up yet :giveup:) but instead stay straight on D1670/258/Polk Rd/nf 6025. Same/only trail, but becomes nf 6025/297/D4790. Come to a T and turn left on E1720/260. E1720/260 becomes 246 when you enter Arkansas and take that into Hatfield where I was able to get gas two years ago (I assume you still can). Easier to navigate than it sounds and a great compromise ride for both large and small bikes. :clap:

In Hatfield (south of Mena on 59/71) go east on Union Ave/Polk Rd 35. Turn left on 6 Mile Rd/Polk Rd. 34/F.S. 176. Those are all graded forest roads and a really nice ride through the woods and a well deserved change/break from all the rocks you rode before Hatfield. You end up coming out on paved road 375. Turn left onto a deliciously curvy section :rider: heading back towards Mena, or turn right and go to Wolf Pen Gap trails a short distance away. You can ride as much forest road as you like around here, remembering Google Maps, etc. is you friend in such matters.

Last edited:
Snapp600 how did the ride go? Did the 1200 make it unscathed?

Snapp600 how did the ride go? Did the 1200 make it unscathed?

sullyfam, it was a blast and tiring. I was on a 650 klr at the time and it was a lot of work! I can only imagine what a 1200 would be like. People have done it though. GS's and Teneres. Those guys are good! Lol
Im on a drz400s now and we will be going back soon, as the weather cools off a bit. Were gettin close!

Sounds good. I'm headed down the trail Nov 4/5 and looking forward to it!

Sounds good. I'm headed down the trail Nov 4/5 and looking forward to it!

Is this a group thing? I know a few that would love to tag along.

Right now it is just my Brother and I, but we don't mind if others ride along. Never been on the K Trail so can't make any promises on our ability or speed! Plan is to ride up on Friday, hit the trail early Saturday snd once in Mena, either decide to stay the night and roll to DFW in the am vis Clayton or ride back to Clayton Saturday and leave from there Sunday.

Rode it month or so back two up with my wife on a KTM 990.

Always fun! Might need to join.

Good deal. Looking forward to the ride for sure!

Last time we rode it starting from Clayton we turned left off of 271 right passed Clayton State Park. If you look at a map it says K trail but about 2 miles in a grouchy old man in his truck started yelling at us. He went on to say that it was all private and you can't ride it. I think the locals tell people it's private but they don't own the roads!

Very interested! I am reading through history of thread.... but where are you starting the ride? Where are you from? I'm in North Texas up by Sherman and this sounds like a nice adventure ride...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last time we rode it starting from Clayton we turned left off of 271 right passed Clayton State Park. If you look at a map it says K trail but about 2 miles in a grouchy old man in his truck started yelling at us. He went on to say that it was all private and you can't ride it. I think the locals tell people it's private but they don't own the roads!

I don't know exactly, but I believe you are talking about taking the original start of the K trail off the main roadway. To my understanding, that portion is under some sort of land dispute and is "not allowed" to ride on. We instead, took a left, coming out of CLSP then a right on another road a little ways down that actually put us on the Clayton trail. It tees into the K Trail where you take a left and head east to mena. If you were to take a right, I believe it would take you to where you are talking about.
Due to the dispute, we opted for the "more popular" route via Clayton Trail. I will check my maps to see what the name of the street is we took off of 271.

***I remember! We made a right on 9 Pines road off of 271 then a right on Clayton Trail.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly, but I believe you are talking about taking the original start of the K trail off the main roadway. To my understanding, that portion is under some sort of land dispute and is "not allowed" to ride on. We instead, took a left, coming out of CLSP then a right on another road a little ways down that actually put us on the Clayton trail. It tees into the K Trail where you take a left and head east to mena. If you were to take a right, I believe it would take you to where you are talking about.
Due to the dispute, we opted for the "more popular" route via Clayton Trail. I will check my maps to see what the name of the street is we took off of 271.

***I remember! We made a right on 9 Pines road off of 271 then a right on Clayton Trail.

Yup that's where we turned!

Back