• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shinko 804/805 anyone

I actually went back to 705s when I moved back to Texas because I wanted the extra mileage and most of our "off pavement" stuff here is county roads. There's enough unpaved county roads out east here that I'm going back to 804/805 on my next change which is pretty much here.

I got a minor shimmy at 75 mph on bad chipseal yesterday, but otherwise the new tires seemed as good or better than stock for 200 miles.

Especially, off pavement.

The Shinko 804 / TKC 80 rear combo did great in the dirt/sand/granite/clay roads in the Texas Hill Country this weekend.

They saved my bacon. If I had been on my stock tires, I would have been down several of times, especially in the sand, which is evil by the way.

I mounted a set onto my bike, shown in the Avatar photo, about 7 months ago. I've logged about 1000 miles on them and I have to say, they ride extremely well. I thought with the aggressive lugs that the ride quality would suffer, but to be honest, at speed, you really don't notice any difference from the stock street tire. I know that sounds odd, but I really love these tires. In the dirt, the rear tire hooks up well and really bites. Although mud is still my Kryptonite... Different issue. For the cost and the wearability, these tires are worth every penny.

I’ve logged about 4k miles on my 804/805 combo on the 500x. They’re wearing really good but they aren’t good for side hilling. I wish the rear had some offset lugs on the sidewalls or something so it didn’t slide as much.

I’ve found them to be perfectly fine in sand or deep gravel though. I guess that’s to be expected since the back one is basically a short paddle. I’m very happy with them and will trade the side to side stability for sand traction any day of the week on a bigger bike.

Lateral traction was something I noted with them as well.

I have 805 in the rear on 2018 ATAS tire is great on and off road only downside is it wears quick but you can't have it all because the price is nice 145 on Amazon I will probably buy another one. Will probably not last more than 2500 miles on a big bike.

I have read the new radial 805's wear much longer, like 2X+ longer. Haven't tried one yet though but will soon as my tire stockpile is now gone.

I have read the new radial 805's wear much longer, like 2X+ longer. Haven't tried one yet though but will soon as my tire stockpile is now gone.
How do you identify if it's a radial?

None of the Shinko marketing I've found mentions it.

How do you identify if it's a radial?

None of the Shinko marketing I've found mentions it.

The ones with an "R" in the size/type designation are radial.

1684508462613.png

You should help Shinko with their marketing.

It seems I received a bias tire last month, not the radial. Looking at the wear, the bias is not going to last more than 3 to 4K
thats what the general consensus is on them, and perhaps not up to the higher HP of more powerful bikes. The AT is middle of the road HP , but way more than 650's. It's not even remotely a good choice for a street tire is my guess and many actual user's opinions. I could not even get to Utah ride around a couple days and come back on a set. Plus, once worn they would likely be noisy and like riding a mild vibrator. But hey, I'm not old or rich enough to trailer my bike 2500 miles yet. Tired enough for sure...

thats what the general consensus is on them, and perhaps not up to the higher HP of more powerful bikes. The AT is middle of the road HP , but way more than 650's. It's not even remotely a good choice for a street tire is my guess and many actual user's opinions. I could not even get to Utah ride around a couple days and come back on a set. Plus, once worn they would likely be noisy and like riding a mild vibrator. But hey, I'm not old or rich enough to trailer my bike 2500 miles yet. Tired enough for sure...

The wear/vibration was not my experience until late in the front tires wear. I was routinely getting 8k from a rear and the front could go longer but I would swap them out as a set due to the front wear. I would only feel a vibration at very low speeds. Like maybe fast walk or jog.

My street experience in them were as good as any other "dual use" tire. I could still occasionally touch hard parts on them.

Edit all the sets I ran were on a VStrom 650. Not powerful but not light either.

The wear/vibration was not my experience until late in the front tires wear. I was routinely getting 8k from a rear and the front could go longer but I would swap them out as a set due to the front wear. I would only feel a vibration at very low speeds. Like maybe fast walk or jog.

My street experience in them were as good as any other "dual use" tire. I could still occasionally touch hard parts on them.

Edit all the sets I ran were on a VStrom 650. Not powerful but not light either.
I do wish I had your secret to getting 8K out of these tires ... I'm failing miserably

Last edited:
Back