• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Also, I think the days of really cheap bikes on CL are gone. There is no means of searching what bikes are selling for in CL only listed. In the end its only worth what someone will pay. The issues is the raising cost of new bikes. It tends to make the used ones worth more. KBB and NADA don't reflect that much.

Currently cleaning up a couple of used dirt bikes to sell for a new purchase. Hard to price what they are worth, but if what folks are asking on CL is any indication with a bit of polish, a few bucks in inexpensive cosmetic parts, and removal of aftermarket parts for separate sale I maybe able to come out nicely with the new purchase.

Buy high, sell low. That's my philosophy. Well, not my philosophy, it's my reality:doh:.

-Austin craigslist is cheaper for everything but dirtbikes and older japanese stuff. Those are cheaper in Dallas and Houston. There's no dirt scene here in Austin, and the older Japanese stuff is popular here amongst the hipster crowd (myself included).

My daughter lives in Seattle and she keeps telling me to ship my vintage CB750 up there and it will bring top dollar. I never really considered Austin.

What I've discovered is that when it comes to selling, its all about location. I live 30 minutes SW of Ft. Worth. No one wants to be bothered with the 45 minute drive to look. They'll drive 45 minutes across the metromess ...

So my retirement dream of flipping bikes is quickly fading away.

I could be wrong, Mitch, but I think people who are truly interested in a quality CB750 would drive a few miles. If they're looking for a cheap old commuter, probably not. But a CB750 is a true collectible. And it doesn't hurt its case any that, a couple of years back, Motorcyclist Magazine named it the "bike of the century" because of its impact on the industry.

Of course, it's a still 70s Honda bike, not an AC Cobra. And it's all about condition - also about ORIGINAL condition - I don't think conversions to cafe racers or choppers are worth as much. And my guess is the early years are worth more. But my perception is that a good, clean 1969-75 will go anywhere from $3000-6000.

I also have an 05 SV650 that needs carb work and a battery. Same story, its been sitting a long time. I'll let it go for $900.

I also have an 05 SV650 that needs carb work and a battery. Same story, its been sitting a long time. I'll let it go for $900.

I'll send you a PM. Have a buddy looking for a first bike for his daughter that is interested in this.

Obviously the OP has first dibs....but assume your offer is open to anyone and this might work for him.

Thanks for all the info. A lot of good points and hints.
A bike is on hold for now.
Momma has said no in no uncertain terms to a bike anytime soon for her, as well as my "spare" cash is spoken for with other stuff.

I'll send you a PM. Have a buddy looking for a first bike for his daughter that is interested in this.

Obviously the OP has first dibs....but assume your offer is open to anyone and this might work for him.
Have at it.

Last edited:
Clean title, tagged, current registration, good tires and ready to ride. $1,000 seems like a fair asking price to me. Why the quick lowball $500 offer? Yes highish miles but doesn't warrant that IMO. That's the exact thing that so many complain about and keeps them from selling on CL.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all ... it's an offer. Not a disparaging comment about the person's mom.

It's a cheap bike because it's 20 years old, not a sought after model, 50K miles, well loved and a terrible rattle can paint job.
$500 is generous ...

Last edited:
Remember that nobody's prices are firm. If they are, they're not going to be fun to do business with anyway.

It doesn't get any more fun than one person posting a firm fair price and another person showing up with that much cash and walking away with the product.

Haggling is a huge pain in the rear and is the most not fun you can have. But it has to be done which is why folks like me will intentionally mark up our price so that the buyer can come down to our firm price. This could be the reason there's no reasonably priced beaters out there, because everyone feels like they need to beat a better deal out of the seller than what they are offered.

Haggling is a huge pain in the rear and is the most not fun you can have.

You know there's plenty of folks who enjoy haggling right?
Some cultures are offended if you don't haggle with them in fact. But I do think there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. For example, just emailing a lowball offer is not haggling, it's a hail Mary in case the seller is desperate.
Showing up and inspecting the bike with cash in hand, making an informed offer will usually result in good deals being done.
Just a different POV.

First of all ... it's an offer. Not a disparaging comment about the person's mom.

It's a cheap bike because it's 20 years old, not a sought after model, 50K miles, well loved and a terrible rattle can paint job.
$500 is generous ...
Actually it is a sought after model by many. I wouldn't say rare, but only a few years of production and has lots going for it.

Nothing disparaging about making an offer you feel is warranted after research and inspection. Personally I'm never offended just quick to say no. But I also size up buyers beforehand so I don't waste my time.

My point in posting was to show OP that I felt bike was probably worth more than $500 and not to walk away if it ticked all his boxes otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Well, it is a two-way street ... what might be considered a "low-ball" is actually a price offered after the seller artificially jacks up the price. Works both ways.

And it's probably why one sees bikes on CL or ebay or CT stay up and for sale for weeks/months at a time. It's easy to point the finger at the BS. But if the seller creates it, it should be expected.

You know there's plenty of folks who enjoy haggling right?
Some cultures are offended if you don't haggle with them in fact. But I do think there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. For example, just emailing a lowball offer is not haggling, it's a hail Mary in case the seller is desperate.
Showing up and inspecting the bike with cash in hand, making an informed offer will usually result in good deals being done.
Just a different POV.

Yea, but just because someone doesn't enjoy haggling and has a firm price doesn't mean the process won't be fun or go well.

Haggling buyers can often be the worst and the process is most assuredly not fun. Agreed on a price with a guy and offered to meet him halfway. Then he starts nipicking the bike and saying I should take this much off or that much off. Turns out, he didn't even bring the amount we'd agreed on because he expected to walk away with it for less. That was a process that was NOT fun. In fact, it's happened to me more than once that a buyer intentionally shows up without the money.

Again though, the haggling process demands that the seller jack up the price to get where he wants to be. So probably many of these bikes seen on craigslist can be had for less but are listed for more. I bet he can end up with a bike for $1K, it's just not going to be obvious and will be a process. The process could in fact end up being worse than the bonded title process, which I've done twice.

It's Craiglist, nobody lists for what they really need to sell it for. They always pad it.

Haggling is expected. It's how you figure out what they really want.

Or..just pay sticker if haggling upsets you. You'll be happy and the seller will be thrilled.

I just effectively haggled over my Baby Bandit, I lowered the price until it was attractive and BAM! hooked one. Bike prices can be all over the place. I have lost more than I gained selling used bikes. Buying used bikes is both a joy and a pain as well. I am with Mitch, toss him a price, see what he says. If you still want it and they say no, you can either raise your offer or walk away. Nobody should ever get butthurt over a lowball offer. I have actually had more than a fair share of them myself. It works out when the buyer and seller are both happy. I find when I share with TWT I can get a huge range of responses assessing my deal. So, I usually do my deals in private.

P1011385.jpg

You certainly beat me up on the blue devil. I'll get it back, though, in the morning.

Another point about haggling face to face ... some of us are hours apart.

Wouldn't it be prudent to test the waters so to speak to see if we are anywhere close in price?
Burning a day and $100 in gas can get expensive just to find out.

Also, talking on the phone can give both parties some assurances about the other's integrity.

texting and email leaves a paper trail to help old, feeble minds like mine remember what it was we discussed.

So there is more to it than having fun. It's business, not a game.

Last edited:
Haggling for items is great. Bikes, etc... I don't get offended by a low ball offer. I just say no. I might throw out what I would pay or think it worth then if they are offended buy it then so be it. They don't have to talk to me. Keep in mind its only worth what someone will pay. I expect that someone will try and chop my price if I'm on CL anyway. I just hate the haggling by text and I usually won't do it. It really depends on the price of the item and what I'm sell though. A car or bike... usually no. A household item not worth a lot I'm way more open. Maybe if the price is close I might, but generally I don't. I usually respond with" I asked what I think is fair, if you want to beat me up over price come look at and then we will talk. If you'd like to set up a time I'm open". I get that sometimes a drive is long, but if you don't want to make the effort to look at then don't expect me to make an effort to knock like 50% off the price. If Its a bike or car I won't deal much unless your standing in front of me.

I just love the CL adds " Don't bother with low ball offers" or "I know what I've got". That just means you want to much and I should move a long.

What are your thoughts on the "firm" add? Toss an offer or move on down the road?

Last edited:
You certainly beat me up on the blue devil. I'll get it back, though, in the morning.
Another point about haggling face to face ... some of us are hours apart.

Wouldn't it be prudent to test the waters so to speak to see if we are anywhere close in price?
Burning a day and $100 in gas can get expensive just to find out.
Also, talking on the phone can give both parties some assurances about the other's integrity.

texting and email leaves a paper trail to help old, feeble minds like mine remember what it was we discussed.
So there is more to it than having fun. It's business, not a game.
Agreed, I can usually get a sense of people on the phone, and I have been known to fly a few hundred miles for a deal only on the basis of a phone call and a couple of photos.

Back