TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > For Sale / Wanted

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
blazebfd

Trade: 2004 Kawi Vulcan 500 LTD

Will post pics soon. Wife wants Suzi GZ250, thinks the Vulcan is too big to learn on. Suggestions? Will consider other similar small bikes.

"Complacency will, inevitably, bite you in the tailgate!"

blazebfd
blazebfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
amvince
Forum Supporter

Re: Trade: 2004 Kawi Vulcan 500 LTD

She will outgrow the GZ, Rebel etc real quick. My wife learned on a Ninja 250 ( I did lower it for her) and then moved to my Suzuki M50m (800 CC cruiser). She rode the Ninja for a year because it could at least keep up with traffic and the 800 CC cruiser. The 250 CC cruisers don't move very well, or stop very well.

2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
amvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
DaJudge

+1 about the GZ250 being something she may quickly outgrow. The 500cc Vulcan is really one of the smaller frame cruiser bikes in its class and would serve her better in the future.

If you have a friend that has a 125-150cc dirt bike and access to a relatively smooth pasture in which to teach her to ride, that might be a really good option before you put her on a street bike. She'll get the opportunity to develop some basic skills without the stress that comes with worrying about dumping a shiny cruiser bike on the asphalt.

2006 Orbea Opal 60cm road bike (pedal, pedal, huff, puff)
2011 Salsa Spearfish mountain bike

Deo adjuvante non timendum
"With the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of."
DaJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
blazebfd

Yep, that's pretty much what I figgered. But..., she has an idea in her head. I think I will continue to nudge her toward gaining skills and confidence on the Vulcan half-litre. I happen to have eighty acres of Texas for her to play on. Thanks for the support and consideration.

"Complacency will, inevitably, bite you in the tailgate!"

blazebfd
blazebfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
1 wheel peel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJudge View Post
...If you have a friend that has a 125-150cc dirt bike and access to a relatively smooth pasture in which to teach her to ride, that might be a really good option before you put her on a street bike. She'll get the opportunity to develop some basic skills without the stress that comes with worrying about dumping a shiny cruiser bike on the asphalt.
+1 on the pasture. My wife put almost 300 miles on a dr in the pasture before we ever went to parking lots and then to MSF. It's nice to get home from work and have her ask me if I want to go for a ride.
1 wheel peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Fiddyone

Dirt is 1 of the best places to learn. However Im a big fan of any 250cc bike and think any one learning to ride can greatly benefit from a small cc and small weight bike. I really hate hearing when people say dont get it you'll out grow it in a month. Good the longer you ride it the better rider you will be! No surprises if you give it to much gas and light weight easy to pick up when dropped. Cause that 1st bike is gonna be dropped. Not that the 500 is a huge bike and should be a good starter. Have her take the MSF class on their 250 then take her to an empty parking lot to try the 500. You have to take the class to get a license anyway. If she still wants a GZ250 I have 1 I bought for my girlfriend who is just happy riding on the back. I'd sell it pretty cheap cause its taking up space. Ive ridden all my life and still love getting on a 250 and feeling like Im really giving it a work out.
Fiddyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
DaJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 wheel peel View Post
+1 on the pasture. My wife put almost 300 miles on a dr in the pasture before we ever went to parking lots and then to MSF. It's nice to get home from work and have her ask me if I want to go for a ride.

Great minds think alike Duane. BTW-When are you ever gonna go ride off-road with us?

blaze- Time spent on a dirt bike will give your wife a good grasp of basic operational skills. Try to find her something that's electric start like a TTR Yamaha. That way, when she goes to take the Beginner Rider Course, she can concentrate on the additional things the course has to offer.

When my son took the MSF course, he had some classmates that had obviously never ridden much, if at all. Not only did they struggle through the course, but they finished with a lack of abilities to make them even marginally safe to go play in the traffic.

2006 Orbea Opal 60cm road bike (pedal, pedal, huff, puff)
2011 Salsa Spearfish mountain bike

Deo adjuvante non timendum
"With the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of."
DaJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
1 wheel peel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJudge View Post

....BTW-When are you ever gonna go ride off-road with us?....

I need to do that
1 wheel peel is offline   Reply With Quote