• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Turning a YZ250F into a Woods Warrior

Well, uh. I had the first ride today.
It was an experience. I'll provide a full update later, but I'll leave this here.

I think I found the powerband....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkIRKAHgMU"]2006 YZ250F crash - SHNF - big loop - YouTube[/ame]

More fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

Matt, that crash looked pretty painful. I hope you're okay. I have biffing it. It takes the wind out of my sails for the rest of the day.

It looked painful, ainly because of the quick removal of his gloves and helmet, and shaky hands.
Been there many many times.

Ouch. Been there more times than I care to count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

Matt, that crash looked pretty painful. I hope you're okay. I have biffing it. It takes the wind out of my sails for the rest of the day.

Thanks Thrill. I was riding pretty dang slow all day - last of the pack. But tried to open it up when I saw a wider straight away. The other bike I got is all about riding a slow bike fast. the DR is a pig!

Got a pretty bad twinge in my neck and my arms were very uncomfortable on the ride home. I got right back on but your right, rest of the day wasn't the same.

Holy Smokes, Hope you're okay, was that a root ?

Not sure! After the crash I thought it might have been the sand, but looking at the video there sure is something dark right where I hit.

The bike was everywhere on the trails. Every root, ditch had me bumped one way or another. There was another guy there with a 2009 YZ250F and we started talking about suspension. His was way more plush than mine - he stated I need to take the clickers down a bit and soften it up. I just wanted to see how it would do stock first.

It looked painful, ainly because of the quick removal of his gloves and helmet, and shaky hands.
Been there many many times.
And heartbeat, I heard major heartbeat.

Adrenaline is a **** of a drug. It rung my bell pretty well. Didn't really set in until I found the group I was supposed to the riding with - was running on the fear that no one was behind me to help!

Marc, I didn't even hear the heartbeat until I listened on my home desktop. Crazy. It's a chest mounted go pro so it makes sense but yeah, it was going.

Last edited:
The problem with the forest is, it's almost harder and more exhausting going slow. Things like sand and whoops are smoother and "easier" once you have the skill and confidence to go fast. Not that I ride at that level, but trying to follow the guys that do, I'm always much more tired than they are :lol2:

The bike was everywhere on the trails. Every root, ditch had me bumped one way or another. There was another guy there with a 2009 YZ250F and we started talking about suspension. His was way more plush than mine - he stated I need to take the clickers down a bit and soften it up. I just wanted to see how it would do stock first.

My KX250 was the same way. Bounced off everything. Softened it up with the clickers and made a MAJOR difference. I'd start big. Go like 6-7 clicks softer. 1-2 pro's notice, but not us normal humans.

Carry a small screw driver with you while riding and you can tweak them some as you go.

My KX250 was the same way. Bounced off everything. Softened it up with the clickers and made a MAJOR difference. I'd start big. Go like 6-7 clicks softer. 1-2 pro's notice, but not us normal humans.

Carry a small screw driver with you while riding and you can tweak them some as you go.

I'll echo that, go almost too soft and then if you feel the need, tighten it back up a bit.
When someone helped me set my suspension it made a HUGE difference.

Well wouldn't you know, throwing it at it did not go well...

IUuxIbj.jpg

But grabbed a socket, hammer and got to work. Super easy install, probably same amount of time as the kickstand.

Comparison, nothing to crazy to touch on.

XeoPP29.jpg

And on

6yYM4eW.jpg

The only thing I was doubtful about was the header to midpipe connection. FMF supplies two different sleeves that fit inside the midpipe, and then you are supposed to pick the best sleeve that fits over the header.

That's all fine and dandy, but then they don't say to reuse the stock band clamp and I didn't see how it would hold snug. I did a quick search as I was putting it on and people had the same reservations but one person noted it wouldn't actually clamp down on anything since there are no slits in the pipes to compress. Put on some high temp silicone like they say to do and that was that. I'll keep an eye out for any exhaust leaks.

t75HQvZ.jpg

I did record a cold start and small blip of the throttle with the stock exhaust before I took it off. I'll do the FMF tomorrow and compare them.

Also went to Cycle Shack and got my OHV sticker. Now fully legal to ride the trails! Does anyone know if you are supposed to keep that tear off part where you put your name/VIN on you when you ride? I was just thinking of throwing it in my wallet.

I heard the trails have been opened. Hopefully they stay that way and I can find a few people to show me the ropes this weekend.

Yes and drivers license(I carry a copy).

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll soften things up next time I go out and see how it fares.

I took a lot of footage from the ride, one helmet cam and one chest. I'll try to go through it when I get some free time to compile how many times I stalled and had to kick it over :rofl:

I'll give a brief rundown of the day.
We arrived at 8 - met with the new trail coalition motorcycle head Ed. Ed was doing an informational education and trail ride. We were going to stop at a few bridges and drain dips to learn what is needed to keep them open, what is needed to keep the trails open in general and what we can do as riders to help.
We got right into Kelly's Pond. I was in the last few of the pack. On the first small rutty climb I stalled out and couldn't kick it back over. I was there for about 5 minutes with two guys behind me (mind you this was 3 minutes into the ride). I told them to go ahead and I would turn around back to the trail head, maybe ride around a bit to get used to the bike. I got back to where kellys pond and bottom of big loop meet and decided I wasn't going to give up that easily. I adjusted the clutch a bit (it wasn't disengaging until it was pulled nearly all the way in, which just isn't my preference). Got back on the trail figuring I would catch the group at the first bridge they are stopping at.

I got back out and had a bit more confidence, that was until I hit my first downed log. I finally got over it, but not after heaving and pulling. At this point I was thinking how stupid I was to head back out by myself on my first ride on the bike, first time on the trails. I heard two more guys coming up to the log and we chatted for a minute. They said I could ride with them.

We rode up honeymoon over to woodpecker and hit big loop. It was at this point that they gunned it down big loop and I tried to follow and had my spill. I got the bike up, shook myself off and caught my breath. Took a minute and got the bike started (found out what a hot start is!). I thought about turning back and trying to catch the rest of the group, but decided not to leave the two guys high and dry and have them worried or looking for me. So I followed, nice and slow pace at this point. Crossed two roads and no sign of the guys. Had another downed log that I had to pull the bike over and still no sign... at this point I thought I was worse off than before. Alone, in the woods, and injured. But I knew it was a big loop and if I kept on going I would hit the trail head eventually.

At the next downed log, I stopped to catch my breath and that's when the rest of the group came from the opposite direction. Very relieved to have caught them I turned the bike around we we got to the new bridge to do some education. The rest of the ride was spent in the back of the pack going slow, trying to learn some technique at my own pace.

Overall I learned a lot. Need lots of water, a map and make sure I stick with a group. And how to approach logs! I don't think I got out of second all day. As well, Ed's education about trail upkeep was great.

Sorry for the wall of text, onto the pictures!

My one picture I grabbed of part of the group. We had 11 guys out there.

v7iBPVO.jpg

Muddy bike once I got back, waiting a washing:

werShqO.jpg

Got it cleaned up and got he Trail tech hour/rpm/clock meter on yesterday.

3aL6mp1.jpg

NM7nqgm.jpg

Still feeling a bit sore, but better. Hoping to get back out there soon. I can't imagine how dusty/sandy the trails get after a month of no rain.

On your clutch adjustment, you probably already know, but just make sure you still have "some" free play at the lever. As the clutch gets warm/hot, free play will increase and you will have to pull it all the way in, like you mentioned.

The cool thing is that Yamaha, stock, has a "quick" adjuster on the clutch cable so you can easily make adjustments. With no free play the clutch will slip a little bit all the time, and you won't notice until it is too late.

I've gotten so used to hydraulic clutches on the KTMs it spoils you, but I still have a YZ 250 in the garage too.

I used to love riding out there. There was a time, one summer, we went almost every weekend. We'd gotten a few pointers from a retired Houston MX/gncc racer by the name of King Tieken. My buddy worked on his ranch in Anderson Tx, and we'd all ride out there on his little woods course, then hit up SHNF and get serious. Lots of good fun. King was a cool guy.

Here's me blasting around on my old cr250. I forget who built the motor in this thing, but it was FAASSSTTT. Way faster than my Rat Racing built yz250 was, and those guys know how to port a cylinder.

full%203_zpsj9cofvvl.jpg

King is a great guy! He bring you to Outlaw Trax any?

No sir. I've never even heard of that...

Wait, is that the club-type place where you gotta know somebody that knows somebody to ride there?

Here's me and my buddies after SHNF. We really enjoyed staying at Kings place. He had 2 sheds set up. One was an air-conditioned bunk house, and the other was bathroom/shower. We had alot of fun that summer. Riding, drinking, hauling hay for King, etc etc. That guy had his hand in alotnof things. Cows, emus, central vacuum systems, used cars...
FB_IMG_1463614969718_zpsv9wjllw7.jpg

Last edited:
"Wait, is that the club-type place where you gotta know somebody that knows somebody to ride there?"

Maybe, lol. I've been a member since 2002, King was member in the early years, havn't seen him in a long time. It was close to his place.

I can't remember him ever calling it that, but I'm about 90% sure he took my buddy that worked for him at the time (guy on the far right in the pic)

I can't remember him ever calling it that, but I'm about 90% sure he took my buddy that worked for him at the time (guy on the far right in the pic)

Ever want to check it out let me know! Back to the original thread now, sorry.

Is this thread dead ? updates ?

Dead as a doornail.

I haven't ridden the bike in 3 months. I took a week off of it to let my neck heal up, then a week of heavy rain, then had two weeks back up in NY. When I came back the trails were closed. I can't complain, as I know I haven't done my fair share in trying to get them back open.

I am going to be moving farther south/east away from the forest (Baytown area) in the next month and not near much trails that I can see. I'm not riding the bike nearly enough and it kills me to see a bike just sitting in the garage. The YZ will be going up for sale soon (Marc you have first call!).

That being said, I don't want to get out of the small bike/single track stuff, I just think the YZ wasn't the best bike for me to start out on when I have no good space to learn on it. I just picked up a CRF250x from a twt member in the for sale section. Plated so I can at least get it out of the garage every so often and has more trail friendly characteristics that I think will help my beginner nature if I can find a place to ride.

Thanks for the update Matt, best wishes to you both, I do miss that bike but don't think it would be in my best interest to get back on it again, it likes to go very fast doesn't it lol, talk to you soon, Marc.

Back