• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Greetings from Maine

Ed-B

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Ed-B, I live just outside of Portland Maine, and I just joined this friendly forum.

Like a few other new members I found the TWT site while researching the new Suzuki Bandit 1250, and I was very impressed with the friendly atmosphere here.

I got back back into motorcycling two years ago, and I'm really enjoying it again. I've owned road bikes and dirt bikes, singles: 175's 250's, twins: 350's, 400's, a 380 triple, and some bigger 4 cylinder bikes. I rode a lot in the 70's and 80's but gave it a rest for a few years... like 20.

I've had a few falls over the years, too. In '85 I got spit off a 750 when I hit a frost heave in the crown of a hill, on a back road. The front end went lock-lock, it was a wicked tank slapper, and I crashed it, breaking my collar bone and fracturing five ribs. But stuff happens, and plenty of people get hurt doing other things I guess. Even so, I wasn't as excited about the sport after that crash. So I hung up my helmets, and bought a little Miata sports car. But eventually I started to miss the fun I used to have riding the motorcycles.

Two years ago I bought a used Yamaha XT225 dual sport to ease back into it. I still ride the XT225 when I want to putt around locally, or ride some dirt roads and do a little light trail riding. And it's a great bike in the early Spring when the roads are still a mess up here in Maine. But I ride solo most of the time, so I don't risk crashing in the woods alone. It's a long way out when you're hurt and the bike is broken.

I got a new Suzuki SV650 to get out on the road more, and have the power to keep up in traffic on the highways. That bike is a hoot to ride, and it's excellent on the back roads and secondary highways. But I get fatigued after an hour at freeway speeds, so I want something bigger, that doesn't get blown and bounced around, and has a fairing to block some of the wind. The new 1250 will be good for that, and it's about as big a machine as I'd want to muscle around. What a great motor that thing has! Yeah, it just whooshes along effortlessly. I love those big 4 cylinder bikes.

So I just wanted to make my introduction and tell you a bit about myself before I head off into that Bandit subgroup and hangout there for a while.

If you're up here on the Southern Coast of Maine give a holler, maybe I can show you some of the local scenery and the best motorcycling roads to take you there.

Ed.

Welcome Ed. There seems to be a lot of Bandit activity here.
Post a few photos of where you ride sometime. I bet it's pretty in Maine.

Jason

Welcome to the site! :wave:

I spent some time up in Maine as a kid one summer. We were in the Bethel area. I loved it. I've never been able to swing a trip back up there, especially with the bike, but I sure would love to someday!

Welcome to you.
I was in Maine in 85, 87 and 89. I always said I was moving there when I retire. We will see how that goes.

Howdy Ed,
Welcome. Nice to have another old guy around here. Wish I had known about you and your local knowledge when I road around in your area last Fall. How long is the normal riding season for you? ps, what's all this "Bandit" stuff some of these folks are excited about? Hardy

Maine is great place to retire, lots of people do it. Winters can be cold, and you can get snowed-in for a few hours, but if you don't have to be anywhere at a specific time it's not a problem. Spring, Summer, and Fall are glorious here.

Yes, Hardy, I suppose at 51 I'm getting along. There seem to be quite a few of us in this age group here. I started riding motorcycles when I was a teenager, and getting my learner's permit for motorcycling gave me motorized freedom like I never knew. I rode a lot in my teens and twenties. It's amusing to see those bikes we once owned now for sale on eBay and elsewhere, and to realize that they're 30-odd years old.

We have about 8 good months of riding up here in Southern Maine. The beginning and end of the season will test your enthusiasm. But you can gear up for it to some extent. In the Winter when the roads are periodically covered with snow and ice, and there's always sand, it's just too risky to ride. You can play around on a dual sport some days, though.

This Bandit stuff is like an underground movement, and it seems that it's guys like me who are most drawn to it. I've always liked the 750cc 4 cylinder machines, but I'm not into the crotch rockets with the clip-ons and the hyper power bands. I enjoyed sport touring on my '73 CB750, and the '81 Yamaha Seca 750 was a nice bike, too. This kind of machine seems to have fallen from favor in recent years. There are lots of cruisers, heavy touring bikes, and race replica bikes, but not that many sport touring standards. The new Bandit fits the bill. It has a fantastic motor, with a smooth and linear power delivery that starts right off idle. The chassis is reasonably advanced, and the bike is attractively priced, too. I've test ridden the 1250, and as much as I'm enjoying my SV650, that big 4 cylinder is just irresistible.

For sport touring in these parts, I think the new 1250 Bandit will be nearly ideal; for example, you can roll up the Turnpike with the big rigs, or push along the coast on Rte 1 till you reach the peninsula you'd like to tour. And then, that bike will carve along the shore roads like a sports machine. It strikes a good balance between sports and touring. That's what the Bandit is all about for me.

I'm planning to take my camera along with me this Summer, and I hope to have some nice photos to share.

Ed.

Oh, and I was wondering if there are any other folks from Maine on the list? It would be fun to get together sometime.

Ed.

I'll be heading up there in September after the Moto GP races. The wife and I will be skimming the states close to the Canadian border. Any must do roads? Places to eat that can't be missed?

:welcome:

You know what they say: Once the motorcycle bug bites, the itch never totally goes away.

Back