• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Member in La Porte

BigT

Reaction score
I ran across this site searching for something completely work related. Seems to be a good place to hang out so I thought I'd formerly introduce myself.

I'm 35, live in LaPorte and ride a Kawasaki VN750 that I've had for a little over a year. I've also got a little China bike that was my first road ride, a Roketa dual sport that now serves mainly as my off road get dirty toy, but it still sees some road time occasionally just because it's fun to ride. I have a wife and son so most of my riding consists of commuting to and from work with the occasional weekend joy ride.

And since everybody knows that these alleged bikes don't realy exist until there's photographic evidence, here's my rides.

This is Rowdy showing off his most recent bling, the V&H Cruzers and the grill cover....(shhhh...he doesn't know that he's only a 750:mrgreen: )
DSC01928.jpg

And this little guy I call Rocky, I know it's corny but that's al I could think of in a pinch. :doh: I have put some more add ons on this one, but he's camera shy, this is the last pic I took of it.
bike01.jpg

So,that's me in a nutshell. See ya' on the boards.

:welcome:

I had a VN750 back in the day. Fun bike, and sounded great with Kerker Supertrapps.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

So is it safe to ask what you were searching for that brought you here? :wary: :-P

Welcome to the site! :wave:

So is it safe to ask what you were searching for that brought you here? :wary: :-P

Like I said, it was work realted...honest. OK, maybe not work related but it was definitely work safe, I was reading something on another motorcycle forum that had a link to this place, I thought it was cool so I joined. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. 8-)

I had a VN750 back in the day. Fun bike, and sounded great with Kerker Supertrapps.

I've never heard of Kerker Supertrapps, I'm guessing that they stopped making them for the 750 like just about everything else. It's a hard bike to find aftermarket stuff for, but I guess that just encourages creativity.

We lived in La Porte for a couple years. Man is that place growing.

It is growing big time. I've lived in the area for ~10 years (only 2-1/2 in LP). Back then the only thing between Deer Park and LP was some open fields, a mom and pop store or two and a couple of subdivisions, now there are stores, new subdivisions and restaurants everywhere....and way too many motels going up, don't even get me started on the eyesores that those things are. :thumbd:

I've noticed! Why are they building so many? I know on Fairmont near 146 they built that one huge one behind the Taco Bell and there's another going up across the road.

I didn't think LP was that busy! :lol2:

I have no idea, but the one behind The Bell seems to stay full. There's another one going up juse about a mile or two west of that one on Fairmont...right by the newest section of houses in Fairmont Park. I'm sure that those folks are happy about having that just outside of their back yard. Nice view. :huh2:

:wave:
howdy and welcome from down the road.

I got my most recent acquisition from a guy in LaPorte.:rider:

Welcome! Just moved from Deer Park last year.

How do you like the Humble area? The wife and I would like to move a little farther away from the plants in the next five to ten years. I'm too young to realistically be thinking retirement, but I'd like to have a place ready for me when the time does come. We were thinking more toward the Conroe direction but the Humble vicinity wouldn't be completely out of the question.

BigT - Our first house was in La Porte and we moved away some for the same reasons. We didn't like being so close to the plants. We moved to a neighborhood on the corner of 90 and Beltway 8. While it's not as far as Humble it has been a huge improvement.

Welcome!

Rainmaker and I both grew up in Deer Park. The last time I drove through there, I hardly recognized it.

BigT - Our first house was in La Porte and we moved away some for the same reasons. We didn't like being so close to the plants. We moved to a neighborhood on the corner of 90 and Beltway 8. While it's not as far as Humble it has been a huge improvement.

Since I work at one of the plants, living here is convenient but I'm originally from SE TX and am more at home in the piney woods. My wife was raised in Deer Park (which is why I'm here now, and not in the piney woods) and this is pretty much all she knows. We were thinking Conroe because it's somewhat in the woods and at the same time is close enough to civilization for her to get her "mall air" quota as needed. The commute would not be nice, but being that close to the woods and twisties (other than Hwy. 225 on/off ramps) would give me a good reason to spring for a Wee. Seems like a win-win to me.

Welcome!

Rainmaker and I both grew up in Deer Park. The last time I drove through there, I hardly recognized it.

The area is definitely growing...another reason to get out while the gettin's good.

Thanks everybody for the welcome. I haven't had as much time to get on here as I thought I would, but I'll poke my head in the door from time to time and see what's going on. I'm glad to be here.

See ya'll on the road. :rider:

Since I work at one of the plants, living here is convenient but I'm originally from SE TX and am more at home in the piney woods. My wife was raised in Deer Park (which is why I'm here now, and not in the piney woods) and this is pretty much all she knows. We were thinking Conroe because it's somewhat in the woods and at the same time is close enough to civilization for her to get her "mall air" quota as needed. The commute would not be nice, but being that close to the woods and twisties (other than Hwy. 225 on/off ramps) would give me a good reason to spring for a Wee. Seems like a win-win to me.

My co-worker lives in Conroe and commutes to La Porte for work every day. Probably not the most fun but certainly doable. Especially if you can take the bike! :rider:

What year did she graduate?

Rainmaker and I graduated it '92. Since you were close in age I was curious if she had graduated with us.

Erik 'Rainmaker' lives out west near Sealy. I moved out west to Barker Cypress and West Little York. Deer Park was a fun town to grow up in, but most everyone I knew, even family, left. I moved because of a job. I have an instrumentation degree and at the time there was much work in that field out there.

How do you like the Humble area? The wife and I would like to move a little farther away from the plants in the next five to ten years. I'm too young to realistically be thinking retirement, but I'd like to have a place ready for me when the time does come. We were thinking more toward the Conroe direction but the Humble vicinity wouldn't be completely out of the question.

Its a great area, and its far enough away from the ship channel to make a big difference. I don't know about retiring over this way because I plan to buy some property when I retire to isolate myself from the outside world. :mrgreen:

Welcome Big T. I also grew up in Deer Park, graduated in 1970. Moved away in 1973. The last time I drove down Center Street and saw the hotels, I could not believe it. We always had to drive to Pasadena, Houston, La Porte, or Baytown for the movies or to eat out. It was a big deal when the Dairy Queen and the Jack in the Box was built, but we did have Carl's Malt N Burger. Also, I used to ride my Penton in Lomax, the area between Deer Park and La Porte since nothing was there at the time. Deer Park was a good town to grow up in.

Back