• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Diane (dgcole51) Coleman, San Angelo, TX

Reaction score
First Name
Diane
Last Name
Coleman
Hi
I currently ride a 2003 Honda FSC600A Silverwing and a 2009 Piaggio MP3 500. My husband, Mike, is my main riding partner, and rides a 2006 Suzuki V-strom DL650.

My past bikes include dirtbikes, a 1983 Honda Shadow, a 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic, a 2001 Polaris Victory, and the 2006 DL650 that is now my husband's. His most recent bikes include dirtbikes, a Harley Dyna, a GL1800, and a DL1000.

We've taken long road trips as well as trailered our bikes to riding areas. I do the planning and navigation; my husband does the maintenance and "on-site fix-its" that make our trips possible. We just retired to Texas from Nevada, and find that our bikes suit this area. We are also looking for destinations for our road trips, and from what I've seen on this forum and others there are many opportunities in Texas. I also enjoy seeing and reading about the bikes others are riding.

Diane

Attachments

• 2003 honda silverwing pipe side.jpg
    2003 honda silverwing pipe side.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 2009 Piaggio MP3 500.jpg
    2009 Piaggio MP3 500.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Honda Silverwing and Suzuki Vstrom DL650, near Escalante, Utah.jpg
    Honda Silverwing and Suzuki Vstrom DL650, near Escalante, Utah.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 133
Welcome!

There's alot of great riding in our area. Fort Lancaster loop, Eldorado to see the Radar thing, Fort Davis, The River Road, the trail of tears, try the BBQ at Iraan, Joe's Itallian there in S. A.,the Three Twisted Sisters, LLano for Coopers BBQ, Fredeicksburg try the Auslander for Braughts, and Rathskellers for the peach pancakes,, that should be a start!
Marie

Welcome. How do you like the scooter wing? A few of us on the board have the Burgman 650 and 400.

Thanks for your responses.
Marie--If I eat at all of those places, I will have to buy a larger bike to carry me!

Sharkey--34000 miles on the Silverwing, I love it. Good acceleration, stable at 70 mph, good on slow roads or interstates. I had to adjust my "hill riding", since there were no gears, but I've got that figured out--slow down before the corner and go for it. I thought about a Burgman because of the manual shift available, but didn't need the little bit of extra weight. Maintenance has cost a little--belts, tires, etc., but most all new bikes seem to go to the shop for more maintenance than the older ones. No mechanical or electrical problems on this scooter so far, although I went through a couple of sets of front fork seals riding rough roads. I think they fixed the weak seal problem on newer models. Guess my Silverwing is a keeper.

The MP3 is a kick to ride, although the owner's manual says not to be ridden on Interstate. I'm not sure why as it has plenty of power. It's fun on corners and hills, 60 to 65 is a good speed for it--it feels safe there. The main problem here for the Piaggio is there is no local dealer. However, the astounded looks from other drivers when they see the front two wheels makes it worth it. My husband has ridden both scooters faster than I ever would, but he said it was a "test ride". He goes scootering with me sometimes and we switch off, but he likes his V-strom the best.

I was hit on the Piaggio in the fall, but the other guy's insurance paid to fix the bike and me, and no lasting effects on either one of us. The question that still comes to mind is, "How do you miss a large woman in a bright yellow jacket riding a 3-wheeled scooter?" I guess that's why they call them accidents. Or perhaps the driver thought I was a giant bumblebee..... The bike stood up well to its encounter--it protected my legs. The full-face helmet and padded summer jacket did the rest.

Insurance for all our bikes is higher here than in Nevada, especially for the Piaggio. Two lane roads around here are great for both of the scooters. I will be planning a series of "Eating Rides" using Marie's list as a basis. THANKS!

Diane

Welcome to TWTex and the great state of Texas. Get yourself a copy of this book http://www.mapsco.com/detail.aspx?ID=2088 Join us on future Pie Runs, scooters are more than welcome and you can compare notes with another well known (to this forum) MP3 rider. I'd say you have the perfect "flower sniffen" bikes. There is alot to explore in the state and you will soon see why "keep Texas weird" is such fun.

I got a copy of the "Roads of Texas" mapbooks. Good choice to carry on the bike! Thanks for the information. Diane

Thanks for your responses.
Marie--If I eat at all of those places, I will have to buy a larger bike to carry me!

Well you don't have to eat at all of them in one day..... :mrgreen:

Welcome to the site and to Texas.

I got a copy of the "Roads of Texas" mapbooks. Good choice to carry on the bike! Thanks for the information. Diane

Great! With that book, my GPS and Google Maps there isn't anything I can't find in the state. I've worn out three copies since 2005 when I returned to riding and now have retired. I use it for planning trips.

Here is a link to a Texas map pdf file to use on your computer. It is a large file and more detailed then the paper Official State Map.

The Texas Department of Transportation web site also offers good information about traveling around the state. And the Safety Rest area and Travel Information Centers have free WIFI access.

On the road I mostly use my GPS which I preload with my planned routes for my travels or use it to get home if I just "flower sniff" and meander the back roads as my heart desires. Ride safe, hope to see you on the road in the future.

Back