• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend - a guide for all motorcyclists

Hi, Rick.

Yes, both guides are available and in stock.

FYI - Bought the last copy on the shelf at Lonestar today. They need to re-stock.

I'll most likely be through your area in the early afternoon on Friday, do you have a brick-n-mortar place I can stop by and exchange some green for a guidebook?

xcgates,

I don't have a brick-n-mortar store. However, Lone Star BMW sells all my guides and are open regular retail hours.

PP sent, Richard, for a guide book.

My brother-in-law and I may come visit you in March 1-4 Any chance a group will be going to the other side of the border that week? Boquillas Canyon? Safe?

Thanks!

Tom W

Hi, Tom.

I'm sure some riders attending the rally will be heading into Mexico to ride.

Yes, I believe it is safe to ride in that part of Mexico, including to Boquillas Canyon.

I am sending PP for $27 as we speak. Please send a copy of your BB guide.

Thanks,

Jerry R

Big Bend - a guide for all motorcyclists, 2nd edition - I will send PayPal this afternoon. A friend and I have a 40 acres with 2 Airstreams in Big Bend Valley that we visit on a regular basis. I have been maping the area using Streets and Trips. I wonder if I could submit it to Microsoft and get the roads included on their next version. They need to correct the map of North County to South County road. It shows they are connected, whereas the connection was washed out years ago and cannot be used. Google maps show the same mistake. Look forward to the guide.

I rode Old Ore Road, north to south, three days ago, Friday, 5/18. 28 miles, including Dagger Flats Rd and it took me three hours. I rode a heavily loaded KLR with Shinko 705s (50/50) tires. I never felt the tires were an issue but the weight of the bike was. I was an IDIOT to take that path solo. Do NOT do that! I dropped it only once but had several close misses. There are no soft places out there.

The most difficult section was not the mudhole where I fell early on, it was the hill south of Ernst Tinaja. Loose rock with treacherous ruts. You can not relax on that ride. Thankfully, a park ranger named Susan, at the Persimmon Gap gate, where I entered the park had the smarts, after I asked about Old Ore, to tell me she did not know of anyone else heading that way that day, and gave me her name and phone number on a slip of paper with instructions to call her when I got out, or she would send someone looking for me. I can't tell you how much comfort that gave me as I scrabbled through that hilly, rocky, loose, sharp rock trail. When I called her from the store at the Village, I told her I have not looked forward to calling a young lady as much as I looked forward to calling her in a long time.

Bottom line- DO NOT go off-road in the Big Bend by yourself. I was lucky to make it through relatively unscathed. I could have been hurt. I could have had a mechanical problem. I thanked Jesus, Kawasaki engineers, and Ben Franklin (for bifocal glasses), among others, for my safe passage. and take several quarts of water.

If I had been on a 250cc with knobbies, with another rider, it probably would have been fun, but, by myself, I was just thinking, "Man, you are stupid" and scared most of the time.

Learn from my mistake.

Back