• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas 500 2015

Mike,

I will be up there Easter weekend at Turpentine Creek with the family. Then the family leaves Easter, but I will be staying the week and doing the ride the following weekend. Hopefully, we can get together sometime during the week and share stories if nothing else.

Looks like the Hillbilly DS is the same weekend and is based out of the Hub.

I am planning on riding one of these.

Mike,

I will be up there Easter weekend at Turpentine Creek with the family. Then the family leaves Easter, but I will be staying the week and doing the ride the following weekend. Hopefully, we can get together sometime during the week and share stories if nothing else.

Sounds good Joe - look forward to seeing you and riding!

It sucks, but doesn't look like I'll be making this one. We're going into a turn-around, and they've blocked out that month for vacations. :doh:

Are the AR 500 and Hillbilly the Hatfield & McCoy of DS rides? Seems more than coincidental that the two events are scheduled for the same weekend over roughly the same geographic area.

Are the AR 500 and Hillbilly the Hatfield & McCoy of DS rides? Seems more than coincidental that the two events are scheduled for the same weekend over roughly the same geographic area.
No not really. AR500 is a fundraiser for www.turpentinecreek.org and is an organized three day ride with published routes. The Hillbilly ride is just a bunch of folks who show up at the same base camp for three days and you are on your own for routes to ride each day.
I think the date Easter fell on this year caused the overlap.

I think I'm up for this one.. been wanting to do this ride for the past few years.

Planning on leaving on Wednesday and riding the Trans Arkansas Trail up to the event.

anyone interested in meeting me in El Dorado or Arkadelphia and running up to the event?

Think I'd slab it home to Austin on Sunday...But open to ideas.

Wow! I just can't believe they would step on each other (and the participants) like that. C'mon you guys, do some checking up with one another. This is NOT cool making us riders choose between the two. I usually come up and ride one on the first weekend, and the next the following. Each event should compliment the other one by being at both ends of a single week. Scotty, your event is a fund raiser for your animals. I would think the last thing you want is lower attendance due to schedule conflicts with other rides in the area. Having to choose which ride to attend instead of riding both is bad enough, but here is where it really sucks for us would be participants; Because both rides are on the same weekend, anyone unfortunate soul like myself who happens to have something already planned on that particular date (for me it's a TORN series race) ends up missing ALL the AR rider camaraderie & fun, for an entire year. That blows! This is not my idea of a good "2 for 1" deal. I sure hope more attn will be paid in the future to backing up each other's events, instead of diminishing us visitors AR ride potential by having both go off simultaneously. Really bummed I won't be riding with Dave on the Hillbilly, or Scotty on his AR 500 this year. But hey, it would have been way too difficult deciding which ride to join up with anyway.

sucks having choices.:doh:

Riding big Adv bikes on little trails is a little like racing.. well the the sweating, cussing and fear of hitting a tree at speed is.. LOL

How many times have your raced the same course on the same property? If you want a trophy.. I'll bring one up for you.. Points.. we don't need no stinking points. :lol2:

Plus, We can talk about how fast we were back in the day around the camp fire.. Cuz the older I get, the faster I was...

Wow! I just can't believe they would step on each other (and the participants) like that. C'mon you guys, do some checking up with one another. This is NOT cool making us riders choose between the two. I usually come up and ride one on the first weekend, and the next the following. Each event should compliment the other one by being at both ends of a single week. Scotty, your event is a fund raiser for your animals. I would think the last thing you want is lower attendance due to schedule conflicts with other rides in the area. Having to choose which ride to attend instead of riding both is bad enough, but here is where it really sucks for us would be participants; Because both rides are on the same weekend, anyone unfortunate soul like myself who happens to have something already planned on that particular date (for me it's a TORN series race) ends up missing ALL the AR rider camaraderie & fun, for an entire year. That blows! This is not my idea of a good "2 for 1" deal. I sure hope more attn will be paid in the future to backing up each other's events, instead of diminishing us visitors AR ride potential by having both go off simultaneously. Really bummed I won't be riding with Dave on the Hillbilly, or Scotty on his AR 500 this year. But hey, it would have been way too difficult deciding which ride to join up with anyway.

Here's hoping they start coordinating their plans in the future. Having the rides bookend a week makes for a fantastic Ozark riding vacation. Plus it frees everyone up to enjoy BOTH outings. Better for both rides, and better for the patrons too. :rider:

How I spent my weekend ...

P1070002.jpg

I guess it was good that it was not the chainsaw ...
cxNx8fjw00iTWEGZ1Sp6DXdc9T6CFzyq55xSWO87ODw=s563-no.jpg

... only the bar tightening tool.
P1070006.jpg

Last edited:
I looked for your presence there Phil, but alas, there was none.
I guess I forgot you were going since the rest of our crew wasn't able to go. I was actually camped about 10 miles south of Turpentine Creek on a street bike ride. I should have ridden up to see who all was there. I ended up going back to TX Sunday afternoon and picking up the dirt bikes, then returning to do my own Arkansas 500! We just got back tonight.

How I spent my weekend ...

P1070002.jpg

I guess it was good that it was not the chainsaw, only the tightening tool.
cxNx8fjw00iTWEGZ1Sp6DXdc9T6CFzyq55xSWO87ODw=s563-no.jpg

Well that slurps! Hope the rest of the ride was good. Let's see that report :coffee:

I guess I forgot you were going since the rest of our crew wasn't able to go. I was actually camped about 10 miles south of Turpentine Creek on a street bike ride. I should have ridden up to see who all was there. I ended up going back to TX Sunday afternoon and picking up the dirt bikes, then returning to do my own Arkansas 500! We just got back tonight.

No problem, would have enjoyed riding with you. It was a GREAT weekend to ride, street or dirt.

Well that slurps! Hope the rest of the ride was good. Let's see that report :coffee:

You know me, I loves me some complainin'. Actually, it wasn't that bad. The riding was great and only a couple small incidents.

So a ride report, eh ...

I had driven up with the bike on the back of the Suburban the week before for Easter. The family flew in and we spent the weekend in the lodges there at Turpentine Creek. There is a lot to do in Eureka Springs. Several went ziplining and we also toured the "haunted" Crescent Hotel.

WP_20150404_19_53_19_Pro.jpg

Alas, these were the only ghosts to be found.

WP_20150404_19_17_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20150404_19_27_09_Pro.jpg
WP_20150404_19_27_48_Pro.jpg

Very scary!!!

I spent a week at the lodging compound there at Turpentine Creek. Very enjoyable. A few times I made just a basic meal and sat out on the back porch looking at the scenery.
WP_20150406_16_36_33_Pro.jpg

And I would make it into town as well for some local flavor.
WP_20150407_17_51_58_Pro.jpg

Every day while I was there, I toured the facilities to see the Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my!

FVMFYtrSNJ5QX82mt5Ar_OF8GYl1o_PHXhr8wnEzjp0=w358-h200-p-no.jpg

I know, I know, it's a leopard. But I didn't get any good pictures of a Lion.

WP_20150408_16_10_13_Pro.jpg

One of my favorites, it reminded me of some of the inmates in our group, especially some of those in our Breakfast crowd. Just add coffee, water, and Big Eggs! Look familiar???
WP_20150406_14_35_31_Pro.jpg

As mentioned on the Clear Lake thread, I also had a chance to visit with FJR Mike and Becca.
WP_20150408_18_52_01_Pro.jpg

It would have been nice to ride with Mike, except he pulled a Lucy on me! You know, hold down the football and at the last second pulling it away. Due to potential work issues, Mike decided to ride the Hillbilly ride that was going on that weekend as well. I have ridden with Mike on street rides but he didn't get into the dirt until he got to Arkansas. May be next year.

Finally, on Thursday we rode a preliminary ride up into Missouri. This was a lot of fun. It was a smaller group, all pretty good riders. We rode 90 miles of excellent roads with beautiful weather. Unfortunately, it was a 100 mile ride. The last 10 miles it rained like Noah's flood.

Spotwalla of the four days of riding.
Spotwalla.jpg

P1060986.jpg

Friday, the group convened for the ride south. At the riders meeting I ran into Dave G. Dave had ridden to South America and Chuck and I consulted with Dave before our ride to South America. Dave had decided to move back to Kansas City a couple years ago and we hadn't seen or heard from him since.
P1060999.jpg

Here is Dave and his buddy Josh after a river crossing Friday where both had done a little toe dipping.
P1060993.jpg

Scotty holding council at our lunch break on Friday.
P1060992.jpg

Meals were catered by Scotty's son Victor and it was a feast. Victor is right behind Scotty in the picture above.

A break picture during the ride. I didn't get any action pictures because I didn't have my camera in a good place to take them.
P1060997.jpg

One of the other fellow, Jeff who also had a slow leak during the ride.
P1070001.jpg

Josh, Dave G's friend, also had to change out his front tire Saturday morning. At one time, of the four of us in the small group who stopped to fix my tire, three had flats or tire repair.

Some more random pictures.
P1060979.jpg

P1060980.jpg

P1060982.jpg

P1060983.jpg

P1060985.jpg

P1060987.jpg

Lunch Friday
P1060989.jpg

P1060990.jpg

So after a good ride Thursday and a good ride Friday, we camped. I pulled the tent out and set up, various folks camped around. I pumped up the air mattress and hit the hay around 9:30p or 10:00p. Unfortunately, very nearby someone else was thoroughly enjoying their nights sleep. Between the snoring and the leaky air mattress, I got zero sleep Friday night.

On Saturday, first thing, I helped Josh change his front tire and then I had the flat on mine. That put our little group way behind everyone else. I didn't have breakfast and we caught up with the other part of our group right as they finished lunch, so we barely had time to fill up and we were off again.

I managed to clip Jeff's KLR coming out of a cut in the road full of water and then an emergency stop at an intersection. Nothing big, but I realized I was tired and hungry. Eventually that combination, along with no significant tread on my back tire, I decided that riding the Kings River crossing was not for me, so Jeff and I did the loop around.

I also decided it was time to get some good sleep, so Saturday night I high tailed it to a hotel and had a steak dinner, a couple beers and a good nights sleep. Sunday I connected up with a couple riders and the caravan from the ride, loaded the bike up on the carrier (thanks again Jay) and drove on home to Conroe.

I had a great time and will do it again, next year if there aren't any conflicts.

Last edited:
Back