• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trips

Reaction score
Starting this Sunday, June 10, 2012, we will begin the Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trips.

This will be a mixture of paved and dirt roads.....there will be paved roads simply because you have to ride the pavement to get to and from the dirt roads.

There may be occasions in the future where we may ride to various trails. If so, the meeting date (Saturday or Sunday), place and time are subject to change.

These ride are a great way to spend the day riding on less traveled roads....and exploring areas of Texas you have never been to. The overall distance of these rides will be 150 miles to maybe 250 plus miles..........round trip.

I do not have gps....yet....so I do not have any coordinates or data to share. I use hard copies of maps from "Roads of Texas" (sheets 119 thru 122 and sheets 131 thru 133)....but you are more than welcome to collect and share your gps info if you want to.

For anyone with a stock gas tank, there are gas stops in some areas. No worries if you go empty....we can always syphon some gas from bikes with larger tanks.

This will be a "No Drop Ride". Faster riders will wait at the next intersection where we will be turning for the slower riders to catch up. Always check your mirror to make sure the rider behind you is still behind you. If they are not....slow down or stop and see if they catch up....if they don't catch up, turn around and go back to check on them. This may cause the whole group to double back, but it ensures safety for all.

The only requirement for this ride is to have your MC license, and that your bike have current registration and inspection. I will not be checking....but if you are stopped by any law enforecement officers....I am sure they will be checking. Helmets and safety gear are strongly suggested. I take no responsibility for anyone elses actions. This is a fun ride.....lets keep it that way.

If you plan on attending please post up so we have an idea who's riding.

Here is the itinerary...........

When: Sunday June 10, 2012

Where: Meet at Backwoods, located in the western end of the Hill Country Galleria, 12921 Hill Country Blvd Ste D2-145, Bee Cave, TX 78738.....in the rear parking lot at 8:30 a.m.

Kick stands up at 9:00 a.m.

If we know someone is coming, and they haven't arrived by 9:00 a.m.....we will wait approximately 15 to 20 minutes for them to show up. If you need to contact me........please call five 1 two - 4 two three - zero 8 8 nine.

There is gasoline near the meeting area to top off your tank.

Destination: Points Known and Unknown

bring water......stay hydrated.....drink plenty of water starting days prior to any outdoor activities.

We will stop somewhere for lunch.

You may want to bring a snack.

If we end up in Luckenbach........take cash....or you can use their ATM located next to the Post Office.....they don't do plastic.

Get back to the Lake Travis area around 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Thanks all......
Britt Jones (bikejones)
2008 Honda XR650L

Last edited:
This sounds great; unfortunately I can’t make it this Saturday. Keep posting up and I hope to make one in the future.

I LOVE this idea. I'm about 50% probability for this Sunday, and will know for certain by Friday. Are these to be weekly, or semi-weekly? Planning ahead a bit will likely raise attendance for all...

I'd love to go to one (or more) of these rides! I'm out for this Sunday, though - have to go to DFW for a family thing.

Thanks for putting the ride together and sounds great. However, like the others I am out as my transmission is still toast on the GS and I am not going anywhere until my checkbook can come to the rescue. Hope to catch the next one.

Chris

This sounds great! And I know you can't meet everyones schedule, BUT if you do one on a Saturday I'd be in! lol, Too far to finsh late afternoon and drive home then go to work Monday! Have a safe ride!

Good idea. Maybe alternate every other ride between Sat/Sun?

Better idea, Scott do one here! lol I'm sure you have some good routes for us beginners.

Better idea, Scott do one here! lol I'm sure you have some good routes for us beginners.

I have lots of routes, just not lots of time :doh:

If you get a Garmin GPS, I have lots of tracks I can send you. Then YOU can organize a regular ride around here :-P

Perfect! Some dual sport day rides right from my backyard. Might have to miss this Sunday, but I'll be there soon.

Unfortunately I will be out of town this weekend but I would be up for future rides from Bee Caves. Is this something my little KLX250SF could do?

Bikejones, I think I saw you riding on 2244 into Bee Cave around a month ago with a female passenger. I had my KLX250SF on a bike carrier on the back of my Land Cruiser.

Good idea. Maybe alternate every other ride between Sat/Sun?

There will be some Saturday rides.....I'm already committed to something else this Saturday.

If you get a Garmin GPS, I have lots of tracks I can send you. Then YOU can organize a regular ride around here :-P

Scott........I am open to others sharing their routes and experiences.

When you can make it here for a Saturday ride we will let you show us some of your routes.

I will get a gps unit someday and when I do, I would like to have some files/tracks of known rides.....for now maps work OK for me.

Unfortunately I will be out of town this weekend but I would be up for future rides from Bee Caves. Is this something my little KLX250SF could do?

Bikejones, I think I saw you riding on 2244 into Bee Cave around a month ago with a female passenger. I had my KLX250SF on a bike carrier on the back of my Land Cruiser.

The KLX would be fine.

I ride 2244 alot..........but not with my wife on the back......ummm....or any other female passenger either.

A GPS is in the works, is there one you favor(cheaper model)?

I will be at the next one for sure! I have to work this Sunday, but this is a great idea - thanks for organizing-

Back