TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Specialty Topic Forums > Polls

Notices

View Poll Results: To speed or not to speed?
I ride or drive like I have my 80 year old grandmother with me. 10 11.63%
Well, if nobody is looking... 10 11.63%
Nobody calls me a slowpoke. 23 26.74%
Wide open spaces or a stretch of good curves bring out my inner hooligan. 43 50.00%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #41
RaptorFA

Re: To speed or not to speed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand~prophet View Post
I try to ride in the gap. That means riding a little faster or slower depending on where the cages are grouped up at.
Pretty much this for me. I like to try and find that clear little patch of road whenever I can. You learn how to read what people are going to do after a while. I make proactive moves to avoid idiot cages that don't know what they want to do or are driving irratically. I stay out of blind spots. Having a bike with good roll-on power helps a great deal with this. In other words, I would rather power out of potential danger than hang back and let it come to me.

And when I encounter that rare occasion when I am faced with a clear stretch of twisties, the fangs do come out a bit and I enjoy myself. So really, it's a situational kind of thang!
RaptorFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #42
swoody126

do they make patches like this?

most suitable for PATIENCE'S speed down the highway

the only place we could exceed the post speed limit would be in a:

SCHOOL ZONE

sw
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly shouting, Holy #$%^&** What a ride!

And, so far, it has been...

---

steve & chili, the wonder monkey have

GONE TO THE COAST...
swoody126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #43
yessirrom

I like to ride a little faster than the surrounding traffic. I commute 120 miles a day to and from Dallas. Half back roads and half highway. My own personal therapy time.

I think that there is a general lack of concern for fellow motorists in play. I leave the house at 0430 each work day. I see many of the same vehicles each day. There is always at least two and sometimes more, that park in the left lane and will not move no matter what. No traffic anywhere, left lane. Cars passing on the right with a line behind them, left lane. It is dark, and one can easily see a well lit vehicle approaching at a faster rate of speed. Who cares? Not them.

I have even had some turn on there brights after I pass just to express their displeasure with my passing them. It takes a lot of will power not to slow down and interact with these fine folks. I have even considered mounting a spot on the rear of my bike to return the favor. "Here some more light for you", ha ha.

I have to remind myself that I am not law enforcement and that I need to just let it go. I now just assume that these people are idiots and know no better. It helps a little....

I agree that more enforcement of these type of behaviors would go a long way to easing traffic congestion and frustration. end rant
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #44
kickstand~prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
do they make patches like this?

most suitable for PATIENCE'S speed down the highway

the only place we could exceed the post speed limit would be in a:

SCHOOL ZONE

sw
She surely not in a big hurry to get any where. Is the carb squared away? I think Chili likes the easy pace. KP
1985 Yamaha RZ350

Avatar picture courtesy of Ghostrider1964

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #45
swoody126

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand~prophet View Post
She surely not in a big hurry to get any where. Is the carb squared away? I think Chili likes the easy pace. KP
the fix we did on the side of the road is GOOD

seems like that is an issue w/ these carbs, just need to be more watchful

& YES, chili does enjoy the pace

sw
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly shouting, Holy #$%^&** What a ride!

And, so far, it has been...

---

steve & chili, the wonder monkey have

GONE TO THE COAST...
swoody126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #46
mr-roboto

You have to generate speed, otherwise the motorcycle will be standing still.

If you mean travel at a higher speed relative to other vehicles, I saw yes within reason. Taking into consideration the given riding environment and when it is relatively safe to do so, go for it on open wide road. In cities and or near congestion the speed should be based on general conditions. It is hard to have either/or answer.

Remember it takes around 750 bolts to assemble some motorcycles, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

RB
Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #47
DaveC

I drive under the speed limit, I am a MSF coach trainy and school bus driver. Safety is my middle name!

-\0/-
[]

"heck, that ain't far! Let's ride"
Quote:
"Such as thou art, so once was I
As I am now, so shalt thou be"
Inscribed on the tomb of The Black Prince , Edward of Woodstock, 1376
Quote:
Do the best you can, and don't take life too serious.
Will Rogers

Ride Naked!
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #48
CleatusJ

I'm very seldom below the speed limit and I did pay my last ticket 7 plus years ago. Yes, that sidecar rig will see triple digits quickly if I forget it has 5 gears.
CleatusJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #49
Ghost Rider

WOW! As a motorcycle rider and near daily commuter I was beyond disappointed when behind a group of riders this past weekend on 620. They rode the left lane refusing to let anyone pass, and when a driver would attempt a pass to the right, the lone trike in the group would speed up and block them. For miles I was stuck behind them. The last rider in the stack appeared to brake-check me, but I decided that if he wanted to play that game he was putting his life at risk and not mine, as I was in my 4-wheeled beast. I tried hard not to tailgate, but they would purposely speed up and slow down.

With their club patches on and their USMC service patches, I was unsure if it was a military specific group, but I sure saw them as a bunch of sissies. Had I been on my bike it would not have been as frustrating, because I would have passed in the smallest of spaces. They did not come across as cool or tough; just seemed like a bunch of wannabes afraid to ride the speed limit in the dark. Seems riding the left lane is all the rage these days, as I'm seeing it every single day, even on the shortest of commutes.

Three people can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
Ghost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:29 PM   #50
Waco

It's bad enough when a group of riders is going slow and creating a traffic jam, but intentionally blocking someone trying to make a legal pass? I would be a very uncourteous driver at that point.

Last edited by Waco; 03-19-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:31 AM   #51
YoDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
WOW! As a motorcycle rider and near daily commuter I was beyond disappointed when behind a group of riders this past weekend on 620. They rode the left lane refusing to let anyone pass, and when a driver would attempt a pass to the right, the lone trike in the group would speed up and block them. For miles I was stuck behind them. The last rider in the stack appeared to brake-check me, but I decided that if he wanted to play that game he was putting his life at risk and not mine, as I was in my 4-wheeled beast. I tried hard not to tailgate, but they would purposely speed up and slow down.

With their club patches on and their USMC service patches, I was unsure if it was a military specific group, but I sure saw them as a bunch of sissies. Had I been on my bike it would not have been as frustrating, because I would have passed in the smallest of spaces. They did not come across as cool or tough; just seemed like a bunch of wannabes afraid to ride the speed limit in the dark. Seems riding the left lane is all the rage these days, as I'm seeing it every single day, even on the shortest of commutes.
Leathernecks?

2007 Sportster

Go Army!
YoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #52
Hellwig

Easy doggie
Old 03-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #53
YoDoc

Leathernecks is a patched USMC motorcycle club.

2007 Sportster

Go Army!
YoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote