• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Harley Myth...

Just watched the news article. Not as bad as I would have expected. But, I wish they would have shown at least one video of a bike doing it in the way that would be legal under the proposed Texas law. Every video they showed was greater than 20 mph with a larger than 5 mph speed differential. That is definitely biased reporting.

But I love the 1200cc Sporty motor. The modern fuel injected version is more than capable of showing an SV650 it's tail in a straight line, but you'll find that you really don't care that much.

Say what? Not to nock HD, the myths are now false, but so is this statement.

1200 Sportster 0-60 4.66, 1/4 mile 13.02 @ 100.3
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/122_0412_cruiser_comparison/price_specs.html

or from a cruiser mag for the sportster 1/4 mile of 13.43 @ 95.2 on a 2007 model
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ro...l_1200s/sportster_riding_positions_specs.html

SV650 0-60 3.65, 1/4 mile 11.87 @ 110.02
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/middleweight_motorcycle_comparison/index.html

But, you don't buy an HD for performance, do you?

Last edited:
:rofl:

Care to test this theory?

Say what? Not to nock HD, the myths are now false, but so is this statement.

1200 Sportster 0-60 4.66, 1/4 mile 13.02 @ 100.3
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/122_0412_cruiser_comparison/price_specs.html

or from a cruiser mag for the sportster 1/4 mile of 13.43 @ 95.2 on a 2007 model
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ro...l_1200s/sportster_riding_positions_specs.html

SV650 0-60 3.65, 1/4 mile 11.87 @ 110.02
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/middleweight_motorcycle_comparison/index.html

But, you don't buy an HD for performance, do you?

Goodness all the SV weenies got their panties in a snit quick, didn't they? :rofl:

Relax, I've had two SVs, of course neither was for the street.

But sure, we can play the next time we meet up, and I'll bet out in real world land the differences won't be quite what the drag strip times show. But I could be wrong. If I am, I won't lose much sleep over it.

Wanna bet on 60 mph top gear roll-ons? 30 mph roll-ons?

All I remember is that when Chris had his and rode with us, all he did was shift a lot keeping it on the boil. Not for me on the street, I'm too lazy.

Course you didn't buy an SV for performance either, did you? More bang for the buck, and it makes you happy. Viva la difference!

Goodness all the SV weenies got their panties in a snit quick, didn't they? :rofl:

Relax, I've had two SVs, of course neither was for the street.

But sure, we can play the next time we meet up, and I'll bet out in real world land the differences won't be quite what the drag strip times show. But I could be wrong. If I am, I won't lose much sleep over it.

Wanna bet on 60 mph top gear roll-ons? 30 mph roll-ons?

All I remember is that when Chris had his and rode with us, all he did was shift a lot keeping it on the boil. Not for me on the street, I'm too lazy.

Course you didn't buy an SV for performance either, did you? More bang for the buck, and it makes you happy. Viva la difference!

Top gear roll on 60-80, sportster: 5.11, sv650 4.44

Same articles as before.

The SV650 is my wife's bike. Bought it because it is what she wanted. I don't know if she was looking for performance.

That sounded arguementative (sp?). Don't mean to be. I have nothing against the HD. It is a good and reliable bike. Just not as fast as an SV650, but that should not be what you are looking for if you are shopping for a sportster anyway.

Now, 1200cc sportster vs. my 1200cc bandit?

Last edited:
Myth 1: Parts cost a small fortune.

Not so. They are dirt cheap by BMW standards and usually less than Japanese parts.

Myth 2: Service will cost a large fortune.

Sportsters are almost maintenance free. No valve adjustments and minimal maintenance requirements all easily performed by anyone with a pulse.

Myth 3: They break down all the time.

False.

Myth 4: They leak oil like crazy.

Never had a Harley leak a drop.

I think a Sportster is an excellent choice.

A sportster, especially a 1200 sportster is a great all around bike. Decent handling, more than enough power to get you in trouble and with 70 ft/lbs of torque, its easy to ride. Wish I'd kept mine and not got the big twin.

I believe the OP said Sportster 1200, not the XR1200.

I am just bored at work today though. Otherwise I would just let this go.

Yup, it's no longer the bikes that are over-priced....it's all the other stuff with the HD logo that's over priced these days. Fortunately you don't ACTUALLY need HD logo'd tshirts, pants, boots, jackets, helmets, gloves, glasses, ear plugs, and underwear to ride a HD... contrary to some people's belief. LOL

How did you conclude that the lifestyle items in H-D stores are over priced? Something isn't overpriced if it is selling in acceptable quantities and they are selling quite well indeed. The marketplace determines pricing...

All good counsel. I have a couple of good friends who own and ride HDs. The most expensive thing about owning a Harley is the cost of HD T-shirts. There must be a contract requirement that HD owners buy a T-shirt from every HD dealer on the planet.

Nope. It's not a contractual requirement. Rather it is extremely effective and thoroughly admirable marketing. H-D wrote the book, ...and printed it too!

:lol2:
Peg and control placement are quite different. The 1200R is gone, it had what Harley called "mids", but to someone who grew up on dirt or standards I'd call it "mild-forwards". Everything else is "forward" controls, which I can't ride, but lots of folks love it. The Nightster still has mids, and trades cheap shocks for cheap shocks with no travel, to get that cool hunkered down look ;-)

The XR1200 has "rearsets" for a Harley, I'd call 'em normal.

Can't you still buy the mids from Harley? They seem to offer everything else (as long as it is chromed). :rofl:

I kind of like Sportsters, myself.

Lee

Your friend can be proud of his/her patriotism, for owning an American ride.

I'm not try to be a jerk, but this is the one myth I can dispell.

There are just about as many parts made in China on a Harley as there is on a Honda. Hondas and Harleys are both assembled in America though, employing American laborers. I'm not berating you, I'm just saying the belief that Harleys are all American is tainted slightly. I did a lot of research on Harley's production and labor issues while in college but ironically I have never ridden one. :doh: Also, if I remember correctly they use foreign steel. (This fact I am not 100% on so I may have mispoken)

I would be curious where Kawasaki's are assembled since I just gave them a chunk of change.

I would be curious where Kawasaki's are assembled since I just gave them a chunk of change.

Japan, just like the Hondas. If you go back and look you will find that Honda pulled back there motorcycle production and it is all in Japan now, but to keep the plant open they moved more of there Lawn Care items to the US.

Sportsters are great bikes and the only Harley I know that leak oil are doing it because they are not ridden enough.

Japan, just like the Hondas. If you go back and look you will find that Honda pulled back there motorcycle production and it is all in Japan now, but to keep the plant open they moved more of there Lawn Care items to the US.

Sportsters are great bikes and the only Harley I know that leak oil are doing it because they are not ridden enough.

Really? I read somewhere that Honda intends to build passenger cars at the Marysville, OH plant after motorcycle production is relocated to the new plant in Japan a year or so from now...

All the major players use parts/components made in more than one country and Harley Davidson is not an exception. Indeed, H-D uses some of the same suppliers as are used by some/most of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers.

I think where a bike is designed is just as important, if not more, than where it's built. Having bike designed in USA means lots of good paying, white collar, engineering jobs. When you buy a Japan/German/China brand, you're effectively off shoring good paying jobs to those countries. USA is not as competitive as a lot of other countries when it comes to manufacturing, but we sure can out design 'em. We do what we do best--design and engineering. Let 'em do what they do best--manufacturing. Free market, hee-haw.

I think where a bike is designed is just as important, if not more, than where it's built. Having bike designed in USA means lots of good paying, white collar, engineering jobs. When you buy a Japan/German/China brand, you're effectively off shoring good paying jobs to those countries. USA is not as competitive as a lot of other countries when it comes to manufacturing, but we sure can out design 'em. We do what we do best--design and engineering. Let 'em do what they do best--manufacturing. Free market, hee-haw.

Oh this is gonna be good. :popcorn:

I'm not try to be a jerk, but this is the one myth I can dispell.

There are just about as many parts made in China on a Harley as there is on a Honda. Hondas and Harleys are both assembled in America though, employing American laborers. I'm not berating you, I'm just saying the belief that Harleys are all American is tainted slightly. I did a lot of research on Harley's production and labor issues while in college but ironically I have never ridden one. :doh: Also, if I remember correctly they use foreign steel. (This fact I am not 100% on so I may have mispoken)

+1 on this. My Honda 1100 was made in that Marysville, OH plant that is now being re-tooled for cars. So, if that isn't "Made in America," then I'm not sure what is....

Back