My cage has a manual transmission 48 35.56%
My cage is an automatic but I know how to row my own gears 85 62.96%
I don't know how to row my own gears 2 1.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #21
Cagiva 549

Re: Automatic or manual cages?

The most fun one I have ever driven was a cab over truck with a four and a five double box , The front box was four holes with five speeds in the rear box for each speed in the front box so you had 20 shifts . Never used all 20 , you could always skip some . The linkage was so sloppy on the cabover that the two sticks would get tangeled together in a couple places if you didn't really watch what you were doing . Conventional trucks were a lot better , they dont have linkage. Both sticks went straight to the trannys . Now if it doesn't have a foot shift I dont drive it , I like automatics but I dont have a car .
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride
Cagiva 549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
mnapuran

Which cage? My primary is a manual, so that's how I voted
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #23
poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpy View Post
I know that resale on a manual is very, very problematic...
Subaru WRX is another exception. I loved my 5-speed WRX wagon, and it was actually an asset when it came time to sell. I can see how a manual accord would be tough to sell, given the typical buyer of that class of car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceddec View Post
I have a 6 speed manual Accord coup, love it.
My Tundra has a 6 speed too, but its an auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse H View Post
My Miata is obviously a standard shift...wouldn't own a sports car that didn't have 3 pedals.

If my F150 came with a standard shift with the big V8, I would've opted for that as well. I'll have to admit, on days I feel super lazy, I do hop in the truck more often than the Miata.
I would own a sports car with only 2 pedals, as long as it had 2 more by the steering wheel

"If it was illegal, there'd be a sign telling us NOT to do it."

"I can't always tell if he [Jason] is joking, or if his judgment really is that bad." - my father-in-law

[empty stable , can I put my mountain bike or running shoes here? ]
poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #24
Gilk51
Pie Man v2.0 (retired)

If you ever rent a car in Europe, you probably need to know how to drive a standard.

My first experience was an Allstate scooter (4 on the left grip) since I got my MC license at 14. My dad had a 64 Impala with 3 on the tree, mom had several VW Beetles with 4 on the floor. My first 2 cars were autos but then I spent 20 years with 2 VW campmobiles with 4 on the floor and looooooong shift and clutch cables... Same time the wife had a 4-speed Rabbit, so both vehicles were standards at the time (early 80s).
Gilk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:13 AM   #25
SilverBullet

Two years ago I didn't own a car but had four nice vehicles at my sole beck and call 24/7. Problem was all four were automatics and I hated driving them. Had never owned an auto before except for vans bought for family use so the ex could drive. One of the four cars was even kinda exotic, SL600 AMG V-12 400hp but I still hated driving it (but did like the power convertible top). So I went out and bought my own older used <$4k car with a stick and never drove the autos after.

To me driving an automatic car is not driving. It turns one of my favorite activities into a boring commute. I even take my car out on back country roads for pleasure driving the same I do with my bikes.

But for some reason an automatic scooter to me is still every bit as fun to drive and does not distract from my riding pleasure.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #26
Jack Giesecke

I learned to drive in a 1950 vintage Willy's jeep. It not only had a 3 speed manual, it had 3 ranges and a 4x4 stick.... I was about 12 at the time. Both the cages now have auto transmission.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #27
TALLSWEDE

I had a '65 Chevy II 4 door with a 283 and 3 speed, a 71 Plymouth Satellite with 383 and 4 speed, and my favorite and fastest manual car, a '69 AMC Javelin with 390 and 4 speed. All were a blast to drive. All were sleepers and won me a good bit of money.

Kevin
TALLSWEDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #28
UNTMatt

I learned to drive stick and my first cage was a VW Scirocco manual. Manual can be more fun, in a rual area but for daily inner city driving, automatic shines.

For those that prefer manual over auto, the Bugatti Veyron is similar to the new VFR1200, using dual clutch manual tranny that auto shifts. It's faster and smoother than any manual tranny meaning that the only reason you would want a stick in a modern day car is because you like to shift. The dual-clutch type tranny's will smoke standard manuals any day of the week simply because humans cannot shift that fast.
UNTMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #29
kurt
Administrator

I prefer my motorcycles manual and my cages automatic. Cages are a tool for me, motorcycles a passion.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #30
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I prefer my motorcycles manual and my cages automatic. Cages are a tool for me, motorcycles a passion.
Just curious have you ridden a modern day automatic (CVT) and if you did what you didn't like about it?

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #31
SilverBullet

Wow! I just looked at the survey results thus far. 50 people and only one person that can't drive a stick. This is definite a motorcycle rider only poll as for general population this would be the exact opposite. About 1 in 50 people can drive a stick.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 02-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #32
The Bruce

How can you sip your latte, put on makeup, read the paper, and eat your bagel if you have to worry about shifting gears?
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #33
Rman of 237

I hate driving! Nothing is more boring than sitting in a cage for hours at a time.
That said, my current vehicle is a 90-something automatic 4wheel drive Ford Explorer that I bought from my sister last year for 500 bucks. It's the 1st automatic I've ever owned or driven since my dads station wagon back in H.S. It took a month to get used to not having a clutch. Like Kurt said, it's nothing more than a tool. I get no enjoyment out of automobiles. I guess I'll vote in the middle.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
RxZ

I learned how to drive when I was 16 in a Nissan Hardbody 4x4. 5-speed was a requirement when shopping only because I wanted to learn how to drive one. That was the last vehicle I had with a standard, and I have wanted one ever since! (its been 11 years since I was forced to give up that truck) I do try to always rent manual transmissions, but here in America that is getting very hard to do.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #35
poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
How can you sip your latte, put on makeup, read the paper, and eat your bagel if you have to worry about shifting gears?
My band director in highschool said once, "I use to drive a standard to work, eating breakfast, smoking a cigaarette and drinking a up of coffee. I quit smoking, bought and auto-matic and don't eat breakfast, I'm bored when i drive now"

"If it was illegal, there'd be a sign telling us NOT to do it."

"I can't always tell if he [Jason] is joking, or if his judgment really is that bad." - my father-in-law

[empty stable , can I put my mountain bike or running shoes here? ]
poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #36
Ben Eberle

My present car is manual and I've always been a manual transmission snob but lately I find myself torn between the two now that automatics aren't the inefficient slush boxes they used to be. In fact now that automatics lock up the torque converter they often get better mpg thanks to the fact that they often come with a taller overdrive.
I often find myself wishing my car had a taller fifth gear or a sixth gear on the highway. It's not like a motorcycle where you can just swap sprockets to fix "buzz bomb" gearing.

Why a Ninja 300? Because I need to get 70 mpg a lot worse than I need to double the speed limit.
Ben Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #37
Jack Giesecke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #38
Jack Giesecke

You don't drink coffee in a solid axle Toyota 4x4, found that out when I bought it. It's like trying to drink coffee on a pogo stick. The shifter's not the problem, twas the spring rates from heck.

Anybody remember "fluid drive" or perhaps the "power glide"?
Old 02-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #39
Cagiva 549

My Dad had a 51 dodge truck with fluid drive and a 4 speed granny box . I sold the tourque converter and trans about 20 years ago for almost as much as he paid for the truck when it was new . SEYA
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride
Cagiva 549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #40
Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Giesecke View Post
You don't drink coffee in a solid axle Toyota 4x4, found that out when I bought it. It's like trying to drink coffee on a pogo stick. The shifter's not the problem, twas the spring rates from heck.
Same for the heavy duty 3/4 ton pickup I once owned. You learned to take quick sips of coffee between the bumps in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Giesecke View Post
Anybody remember "fluid drive" or perhaps the "power glide"?
Not only do I remember them I owned cars with both.

When I took Drivers Ed in 1963 all the cars had manual transmissions. Part of passing the course was learning to use a clutch and shift gears.

07 Burgman 650 Exec
06 Burgman 400S
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote