TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Specialty Topic Forums > Polls

Notices

View Poll Results: Who do you WANT to win the Super Bowl?
Steelers 10 33.33%
Packers 20 66.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #21
Monkey Wrench Cycles

Re: Who do you WANT to win the Super Bowl? - Emotion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfred View Post
I'm from Ft Worth, lived in the DFW megaplex for 13 years. While my Libertarian fantasy is for no gummint roads, I realize that good roads are good for nearly everybody and helps commerce. That is so far different from hotels, sports temples, trains, etc. that your comparison means nothing.

The fact that Arlington is not in debt is good - but it's bad because much of that money comes from taxing everybody for the rich boy to watch his boys in blue play ball. That - all by itself - is repugnant to liberty.
Your missing the whole point. The stadium IS the reason why Arlington is above budget and Ft. worth is cutting spending like so many other citys. Its an investment. Its proven to bring in new business to a community, and all that money that goes to local businesses everytime there is a game. Not to mention how the growth in arlington is causing property values to go up... Say what you want about the type of business it is, but the numbers prove that it is a money making business.

My Toys:
2009 Harley Nightster 100+hp
2009 Buell 1125R Drag Bike
2005 Ninja ZX6-RR land speed bike, 200+ WHP: SOLD
2000 Honda XR400 w/e-start: SOLD
Monkey Wrench Cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #22
Manfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Wrench Cycles View Post
Your missing the whole point. The stadium IS the reason why Arlington is above budget and Ft. worth is cutting spending like so many other citys. Its an investment. Its proven to bring in new business to a community, and all that money that goes to local businesses everytime there is a game. Not to mention how the growth in arlington is causing property values to go up... Say what you want about the type of business it is, but the numbers prove that it is a money making business.
It ain't the gummint's business to be in business. Gummint always squeezes private business out whenever the gummint gets involved in business. THAT is the point.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
Manfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #23
Ixta

What is this super bowl thing you speak of?
Ixta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #24
Monkey Wrench Cycles

Quote:
It ain't the gummint's business to be in business. Gummint always squeezes private business out whenever the gummint gets involved in business. THAT is the point.
How exactly is the gov't in business? As far as i know Jerry Jones and the city of Arlington own the stadium not the government. And mind you, the people of Arlington approved all tax increases, etc. The people, Me included, wanted the stadium here and we got it...

My Toys:
Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #25
Manfred

Quote:
How exactly is the gov't in business? As far as i know Jerry Jones and the city of Arlington own the stadium not the government. And mind you, the people of Arlington approved all tax increases, etc. The people, Me included, wanted the stadium here and we got it...
The City of Arlington is the gummint - at the local level. Did you think the city is a product of private enterprise? Collusion between any level of gummint and any sector of business warps the marketplace and causes prices to be higher and service to be worse.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #26
gixxerjasen

The only time I'll root for the Steelers is when they play the Eagles. Eagles have the rudest fans period and the Steelers are right behind them. Go Packers.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #27
Monkey Wrench Cycles

Quote:
The City of Arlington is the gummint - at the local level. Did you think the city is a product of private enterprise?
Usually when people refer to the "gov't" they are referring to federal. And who else do you think would pony up the cost of a new stadium had the city not given $325 million..?

So i ask, whats the difference between buying a city bond and getting payed back with interest, and paying a little more in taxes and getting payed back with better infrastructure, property value increases, private business increases, and basically a better economy...?

My Toys:
Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #28
Desert Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Giesecke View Post
THE OILERS!

Frankly, I HATE FOOTBALL, all stick and ball sports, for that matter. We heed IDPA on TV! And, Speed TV SUX! Or, I guess it's NASCAR TV.

Stupid bowl? Have fun.

Speed is getting pretty sucky too. Every Sat/Sun morning, SOS on Gearz, Chop Cut Rebuild and the likes. And all those seem like some long commercial for the supplier of the parts they use on the shows.

Come to think of it, TV in general sux. Think I'll go home this evening, whip out a 45 and lay waste to that one eyed monster.

When the kids were little, we would use SS Sunday for family outings. .. Less crowded.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled waste land....

Desert Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #29
Manfred

Quote:
Usually when people refer to the "gov't" they are referring to federal. And who else do you think would pony up the cost of a new stadium had the city not given $325 million..?

So i ask, whats the difference between buying a city bond and getting payed back with interest, and paying a little more in taxes and getting payed back with better infrastructure, property value increases, private business increases, and basically a better economy...?
The difference is between the heavy hand of gummint control and regulation that affects everyone in that jurisdiction vs the hidden hand of capitalism, where everyone who conducts business does so freely and benefits or costs only those who choose to be involved.

Liberty vs regulation. Taxes are a form of "taking" and people are routinely fooled into thinking a little tax on everyone provides BIG benefits for everyone. The main people who benefit are the gummint employees who "manage" the programs and anyone in cahoots with them. At the expense of all the taxpayers. When the Mafia does this type of thing, it's a crime.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #30
scar04
Irreverent as Ever
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexarWolf View Post
"I don't want a large Farva, I want a literacola"). If you don't get it, I don't wanna explain it.
Your suspension...CONTINUES!! Hit the radio!!!

I reject your reality, and instead, substitute my own.
scar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #31
Morgan Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
The only time I'll root for the Steelers is when they play the Eagles. Eagles have the rudest fans period and the Steelers are right behind them. Go Packers.

Hm. I've seen the Steelers in 9 or 10 different stadiums, and all of the "home" fans I've talked to have always said they felt the Steelers fans were the most polite.
Morgan Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #32
Morgan Buchanan

Would the government debate kindly be taken to a thread where it's more appropriate, por favor?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #33
gixxerjasen

Eh, that's my experience seeing them at Cowboys games when I had season tickets for my wife. Also, when we lived in Cleveland, there's a TON of bandwagon fans who've grown up in Ohio and are Steelers fans. I mean, the team isn't even in your same STATE! Granted, Pittsburgh is closer than any other city in Ohio that has a football team and being a Browns fan has to be hard. But still.....they were annoying, enough so that I'll almost never root for them.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #34
ekms377

I am from south of Pittsburgh......so you know who I am rooting for.

1997 TL1000S (for sale)
2017 250XCF
2017 350XCF (for sale)
2018 250XCW

"Anything worth doing.....is worth over doing."
ekms377 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #35
Morgan Buchanan

Everyone has a different experience in the world. When I saw a Steelers/Buccaneers game in Tampa in the late 90s there was a guy in the stands trying to get me to fight. I wouldn't judge the Bucs fans on that guy. When I went to the last regular season Cowboys/Steelers game here in DFW, there was a guy trying to goad me into a fight. I had my arm in a sling. I suppose I was the one Steelers fan he thought he might be able to take, maybe. LOL But that game there were probably about 15,000 Steelers fans. I suppose THAT was more annoying to Cowboys fans than the fans themselves. A Cowboy season ticket holder close to me who was quite cordial asked me "Where did you all come from?" LOL I said, "Everywhere."

Getting to see Jerome Bettis score in person was awesome, and I was only about 15 rows away and in the correct corner of the endzone even!