No. I'll ride the same. 59 48.76%
Yes. I'll ride less. 4 3.31%
I'll ride more because my bike gets better mileage than my car! 58 47.93%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
Jeff S
Forum Supporter

Re: Poll: Will gas prices affect your riding?

I'll ride the same, but my car is a Prius, so it actually gets better (or at least very similar) mileage as my bike. Like others have said, weather and cargo needs dictate which set of keys I pick up...
Jeff S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #22
Helmer

i'll ride the same if not more, gas prices make my bike the better choice for commuting and goofing off.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #23
1TallTXn

Won't change my riding habits much. Take the bike when I want to, the cage when I have to or don't feel like riding.

Even putting 2 tanks of gas in the bike over the weekend is pretty cheap entertainment.

2002 VFR800STi | 1985 GL1200 Aspencade -Earl | 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

IBA# 31895
--------
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"...what is the militia? It is the whole people, except a few public officials." - George Mason 1788
1TallTXn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #24
jrflanne

I finally bought a car last year. I never drive it so it is probably gone.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #25
MCRyder

I wish gas prices had held off till after my Big Bend trip But I'm still going

I can see me consolidating trips in the auto to save mileage, but riding as I always have. Riding is much more fun than driving.

Ride like the wind
Straining the limits
Of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
-Rush
MCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #26
fortbriscoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
Not 15 minutes ago I filled the truck up... $127.50, 33.56gal diesel @ $3.799/gal and 15.82mpg.

Bike is around 45mpg so if I can, I'll figure out how to make it work riding more.
ditto

"The purpose of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever." Westminster Shorter Catechism
fortbriscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #27
Waco

The cost per mile of riding or driving includes more than just gas. Also, a minor accident and a trip to the ER can easily cancel out all the money you saved at the gas pump. Ride because you want to and don't kid yourself about saving money.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #28
fortbriscoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid View Post
The cost per mile of riding or driving includes more than just gas. Also, a minor accident and a trip to the ER can easily cancel out all the money you saved at the gas pump.
Yes, but I thought this was Two Wheeled Texans. No accidents that can't be prevented. Only crashes that can.

"The purpose of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever." Westminster Shorter Catechism
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #29
Waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortbriscoe View Post
Yes, but I thought this was Two Wheeled Texans. No accidents that can't be prevented. Only crashes that can.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but accidents happen even to skilled, practiced, careful riders. Some brag that they haven't had a wreck in xxx,xxx miles, but that doesn't mean that a deaf, half-blind old person won't plow into them tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #30
humanrace

It's hard to save money by riding a motorcycle unless that goal was decided before the bike purchase. Tires on a sport bike cost $300/set and last 5k to 6k miles. I just installed the third set of tires on my van (less than $900) and it has 107k miles. By my figures, tires are twice as much on the MC. Oil change every 2k miles on the bike and every 5k on the van. Van cost $22k, and will be sold at about 150k miles. Bike cost $7.2k and will be sold at 30k miles. Tune ups-2 on the van in 107k and 5 on the MC at 23k.

I ride when I can and take the van when I have passengers or freight to haul. This year I budgeted gas and 2 oil changes for the van for a total of around $2600. Tires alone for the MC will be over $1000 (10 track days planned) that's 10 oil changes and 5 filters also.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #31
humanrace

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but accidents happen even to skilled, practiced, careful riders. Some brag that they haven't had a wreck in xxx,xxx miles, but that doesn't mean that a deaf, half-blind old person won't plow into them tomorrow.
I haven't had a accident involving another vehicle in the 47 years I've been riding. Before I mount up this afternoon for the ride home, I'll try to prepare for the one I'm going to eventually have.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #32
Waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanrace View Post
Oil change every 2k miles on the bike
What is the recommended interval? My bikes have varied between the 4 and 6k and I generally follow the recommendations in the manual. (Not trying to hijack the thread for another oil discussion.)
Old 03-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #33
IndyRC

I ride daily for my 85-90 mile commute plus some weekend riding for fun. I will still ride the same. I almost always hate driving a car.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #34
fortbriscoe

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but accidents happen even to skilled, practiced, careful riders.
Sorry, I was just being a smart aleck. "No accidents, just crashes," is a Motorcycle Safety Foundation mantra. I'd ride my bike if it cost double my truck per mile to do it.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #35
zombierider

I try and ride my bike as often as I can nothing below 30 I have a set of cover alls that do great to that point. I ride to work and anywhere else that I don't need to take the kids haul anything. Also if it's going rain pretty bad I'll jump in the car or my K5. Love my truck but she still only get 15mpg not bad for what she is(91 4x4 k5 200k miles, and 33" tires)

1999 Kawi KX 250 smoker

2010 Z1000

~Jay~
zombierider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #36
humanrace

Quote:
What is the recommended interval? My bikes have varied between the 4 and 6k and I generally follow the recommendations in the manual. (Not trying to hijack the thread for another oil discussion.)
More than 2k but I ride my bikes hard for at least part of the time between oil changes so I change it early. The recommended oil change on the van is also way longer than 5k. If I remember correctly, it's every 10k.

Like fortbriscoe, I'd ride my bike even if it cost more to ride than to drive my van.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #37
bmcdonau

Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
Not 15 minutes ago I filled the truck up... $127.50, 33.56gal diesel @ $3.799/gal and 15.82mpg.

Bike is around 45mpg so if I can, I'll figure out how to make it work riding more.
Filling the truck up is a pain, my Valero CC cuts me off at $100, my debit card at $75. Some stations won't let you use the same card twice in a row. Last time I filled it up it took $140.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #38
bmcdonau

Quote:
Originally Posted by innominate View Post
I thought diesel got better mpg than gas.

I'll ride the same amount. If it's not raining I ride to work. I'll pay to stay dry in my tundra.
It does, and the more you load it the bigger the diffeerence gets. I get about 20 mpg in the diesel and 17 in the F150 on the highway. Pulling the same trailer I got 8 in the F150 and 16 in the diesel and the F150 was turning nearly 4000 rpm and the diesel 1800.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #39
patricjft

My commute to work is 3 miles round trip. I live in College Station. If I don't do any trips outside of town, a tank of gas lasts 3 weeks in my Tacoma. I ride the bike when I go to Houston to visit friends and family unless I have to carry something or someone who does not want to ride.
So, my habits won't change. I already ride as much as I can. I suppose I could ride back and forth to work, but with a 3 mile round trip, takes more time to gear up and de gear at the office than the whole ride takes.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #40
Thrasherg

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricjft View Post
My commute to work is 3 miles round trip. I live in College Station. If I don't do any trips outside of town, a tank of gas lasts 3 weeks in my Tacoma. I ride the bike when I go to Houston to visit friends and family unless I have to carry something or someone who does not want to ride.
So, my habits won't change. I already ride as much as I can. I suppose I could ride back and forth to work, but with a 3 mile round trip, takes more time to gear up and de gear at the office than the whole ride takes.
Get a bicycle, it will keep you fit and cost less!! I know I would if I only had 3 miles each way to get to work!!
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote