• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Places to ride in Houston- Lake Jackson area

Goyko

Reaction score
I'm staying in Lake Jackson for the next month for work. And I brought my bike with me. What are good places to ride within 150 miles or so?

I've read a few reports here on twt of long rides on the beach East and West of Galveston.

go south to surf side take a left on 257 you can ride the beach of and on all the way to Galveston there a toll bridge at San Luis pass don't remember how much, when you get to town follow sea wall to the ferry and go to Bolivar again ride beach off and on when road turns north to high island you can keep going down beach there a post here on that ride from last summer. By then you should be hunger head north up 124 to Winnie and stop at AL "T" and get you some good Cajun food then you can back track are take I-10 back west. that only about 100 miles if you make that far. Some of the beach is off limits to vehicle traffic and there's plenty of law there to correct you.

Aaron

Thanks everybody. You were really helpful. Also, is there any club/trails in the area? Like hidden falls near Austin or red river near Dallas?

None that I know of. There are the trails in Sam near New Waverly, but a 690 will be hard to handle in that area and you will need a sticker. I hear that Mud Buddies in Ezzel is mostly four wheelers.

You got to be kidding? Sam Houston hard? :lol2:
Probably easiest place to ride in all of Texas. I'm not riding my 690 on fire roads. I'm riding it hard core with guys on a 200-300ccm two stroke dirt bikes. Meaning I do some really hard stuff on a bike.
Just today we were at barnwell mountain.

You got to be kidding? Sam Houston hard? [emoji38]2:
Probably easiest place to ride in all of Texas. I'm not riding my 690 on fire roads. I'm riding it hard core with guys on a 200-300ccm two stroke dirt bikes. Meaning I do some really hard stuff on a bike.
With comments like that , I'm sure you'll get a lot of people to ride with you .[emoji15]

I've seen fire roads put a rider down in the dirt/mud before. ;-) ;-) And I'm not kidding either.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRK03q76GKU"]Laughing donkey - YouTube[/ame]

On second thought. Let me know when you are going to the forest goyko, I'll come check it out. LOL.
And we'll invite to bring your 690 to hiden falls next time [emoji15]

And someone please bring a camera...:coffee:

On second thought. Let me know when you are going to the forest goyko, I'll come check it out. LOL.

I've seen fire roads put a rider down in the dirt/mud before. ;-) ;-) And I'm not kidding either.

Laughing donkey - YouTube

Im not sure what is the big fuss about. I just said I've ridden there many times, and not consider it hard at all. I driven many many harder places in my life.
If you wanna make fun, then go ahead.
You're all welcome to come to barnwell with my crew anytime you want, and ride with us. I ride there most of the time simply because I find it the most challenging within reasonable driving distance from me. Red river is nice, hidden falls is little easier that red river. Those trails in Arkansas are also pretty nice, white rock or something like that, I forgot the name. So please, please, anybody feel free to join us, and please bring as much cameras as you want.
I'm not one of those guys that go to Starbucks on the weekend in full klim gear, hit some dirt on the driveway and call it an adventure. Been riding bikes since I was 5. Started racing at 8.
I'm not by any means saying that I'm better than anyone in here nor I was trying to offend anyone. I just said that Sam is by my opinion one of the easinest flattest places to ride in all of Texas.
I've ridden erzberg multiple times, organized the biggest hard enduro race in Serbia with my father... just to name a few, so I can walk to walk.
As I said, I'll be happy to ride with any of you.
No need to condisend on me, or try making fun, I was not trying to offend anyone, just gave my opinion on the trail.

...No need to condisend on me, or try making fun, I was not trying to offend anyone, just gave my opinion on the trail.

Well he didn't say SHNF was hard he said for a 690 it would be hard to handle. You posted not knowing any of the places to ride so it was assumed you hadn't rode there and he was trying to be helpful. His advise stands, I've ridden big heavy dual sport thumpers out there but it is not the best tool to use and the rider needs to be prepared. SHNF can be as easy as you ride it, I would describe it better as fun.

The reason for the joking is the way you dismissed his advise and came off all chest thumping. "riding only the hard stuff".."riding hard core" and insinuating you're just as fast as the smaller lightweight two strokes. Lots of TWT members are excellent riders but don't think I've ever seen one post like that before. Lots more humility here than on other forums like advrider.com and lots of friendly joking also without ever turning mean or insulting, all in fun.

_

The keyboard leaves a lot out of communicating......

http://www.nonverbalgroup.com/2011/08/how-much-of-communication-is-really-nonverbal said:
How much of communication is really nonverbal?

One of the most frequently quoted statistics on nonverbal communication is that 93% of all daily communication is nonverbal. Popular science magazines, students and media outlets frequently quote this specific number.

So where does the number come from? Dr. Albert Mehrabian, author of Silent Messages, conducted several studies on nonverbal communication. He found that 7% of any message is conveyed through words, 38% through certain vocal elements, and 55% through nonverbal elements (facial expressions, gestures, posture, etc). Subtracting the 7% for actual vocal content leaves one with the 93% statistic.

However, studying human behavior is a challenging task. The inherent flaws of social scientific research methodology combined with the incredible dynamic nature of human behavior make this specific quantification close to impossible.

The fact of the matter is that the exact number is irrelevant. Knowing that communication is specifically 75% nonverbal or 90% nonverbal holds no practical applications. The important part is that most communication is nonverbal. In fact, nonverbal behavior is the most crucial aspect of communication.

Based on my own research, I would state that the amount of communication that is nonverbal varies between 60 and 90% on a daily basis. This number depends on both the situation and the individual.
_

[emoji15]
d6eec854d30feb89694150e94012a2be.jpg

I thought I was doing good by being able to afford Starbucks .

If you want a challenging ride, you could ride your 690 to Galveston and ride due south to Veracruz! :trust: :rider:

There is no good riding within several hundred miles of Houston , east Texas dirt roads , a few dirt roads in the hill country and some gravel roads in surrounding county's . You can get your bike dirty on them but I don't consider them good . Same for the national forest , 30 years ago there were some kick *** trails . Not now , they are all political correct and all multi use trails that the forest service has to approve of . My riding is mostly in far off places with interesting things to see . The bikes stay parked mostly around home anymore . I suppose I'll have to pack up and come home in a week or so , I've been enjoying cool weather miles and miles of trails and mountains for the last three weeks . northwest Colorado and Arkansas are my playgrounds . I do mix in some Big Bend a few times a year I've ridden all of it but a lot of its good the second time around too .

Hey Goyko I'm working on the details for a friendly little test of your 690 vs. a 250 or 300 2stroke.

Hopefully we can do this in a place where you would enjoy riding no matter what, to make it worth your while. Let me know if you're interested. I'm not envisioning a race per se, just a friendly comparison of the different bike's strengths.

This all reminds me of David Knight in a way, where he couldn't get on with a 300 and went to a 500 4stroke to dominate the US hare scrambles...

Im not sure what is the big fuss about. I just said I've ridden there many times, and not consider it hard at all. I driven many many harder places in my life.
If you wanna make fun, then go ahead.
You're all welcome to come to barnwell with my crew anytime you want, and ride with us. I ride there most of the time simply because I find it the most challenging within reasonable driving distance from me. Red river is nice, hidden falls is little easier that red river. Those trails in Arkansas are also pretty nice, white rock or something like that, I forgot the name. So please, please, anybody feel free to join us, and please bring as much cameras as you want.
I'm not one of those guys that go to Starbucks on the weekend in full klim gear, hit some dirt on the driveway and call it an adventure. Been riding bikes since I was 5. Started racing at 8.
I'm not by any means saying that I'm better than anyone in here nor I was trying to offend anyone. I just said that Sam is by my opinion one of the easinest flattest places to ride in all of Texas.
I've ridden erzberg multiple times, organized the biggest hard enduro race in Serbia with my father... just to name a few, so I can walk to walk.
As I said, I'll be happy to ride with any of you.
No need to condisend on me, or try making fun, I was not trying to offend anyone, just gave my opinion on the trail.
come ride the loops in San Antonio. a survey a few years back found that at any time day or night 50% of drivers were DUI the other 50% were on a phone.

Hey Goyko I'm working on the details for a friendly little test of your 690 vs. a 250 or 300 2stroke.

Hopefully we can do this in a place where you would enjoy riding no matter what, to make it worth your while. Let me know if you're interested. I'm not envisioning a race per se, just a friendly comparison of the different bike's strengths.

This all reminds me of David Knight in a way, where he couldn't get on with a 300 and went to a 500 4stroke to dominate the US hare scrambles...
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115751

Back