• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mextrek 6 Ride Reports and Pics

Awesome write up and pix Peter. Thanks for taking the time. (And thanks for sharing link to our ride)

Special thanks to Shadman (Peter) and ride group leader Steve (who I could have sworn was Irish!) for never once making this dualsport newbie feel like I was holding up the group.

Here I am smiling ear to ear when we left the concrete and I finally had dirt under two tires. :rider:

37989907196_8f372ebcb9.jpg

Garon, Great riding with you, and you didnt hold anyone up, and if you did.....SO WHAT!! It was a great ride, and you really missed a spectacular second half!!!

:popcorn: and taking notes.

Did I read someplace that there is a Mextrek ride planned the spring of 2018?

Lots and lots of people interested in going back earlier.

I’ll be doing a trip to other parts of Mexico after 4/15/18. Not sure exactly when or what it’ll be called but keep an eye out for a post or PM or text me if you’re interested in a small group ride for 6-15 days in the 4/15-5/15 time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots and lots of people interested in going back earlier.

I’ll be doing a trip to other parts of Mexico after 4/15/18. Not sure exactly when or what it’ll be called but keep an eye out for a post or PM or text me if you’re interested in a small group ride for 6-15 days in the 4/15-5/15 time frame.

Keep me posted. I’d be in for this.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-t78CWZc/0/a93b1b0b/1920/i-t78CWZc-1920.mp4

A video of our Mextrek adventure, edited down to six minutes. I never ran the GoPro from the handlebars before, a little jittery through the rough stuff, but not too bad.

Were those concrete water crossings not slick like those in the Texas Hill Country? Hard to just speed from the vid, but it looked like you were hitting them at a pretty good pace :shock:

Those off the beaten path "roads" looked awesome :rider:

Becky and I had a great time at Mextrek. We left Galeana on Sunday and headed down to Guanajuato for a few days. Good times there, including celebrating Dia de los Muertos. Left there and rode to Puerto Vallarta via an overnight in Tepic. We have friends in Vallarta and had a great time there as usual (just too hot this time of year). On the way home, we spent some time in Zacatecas. We have been there several times over the past 20 years and always enjoy it. We started out in San Antonio and ended in San Antonio. Just shy of 3000 miles, all Libre. A DRz and a XR650L. Life is good. If somebody can explain how to post without an account at a hosting company, I could post up some pictures.

Last edited:
Were those concrete water crossings not slick like those in the Texas Hill Country? Hard to just speed from the vid, but it looked like you were hitting them at a pretty good pace :shock:

Those off the beaten path "roads" looked awesome :rider:

They weren't slick at all. And I know what you mean about some of the Texas ones. I bit it once on one and I 'thought' I was being super careful. The first few we went through slower but realized that they had a lot of traction so enjoyed them a little more after that.

There were a couple deeper ones that didn't get caught on Roger's camera that I'd have like to have seen as we blazed through those and got drenched.

Becky and I had a great time at Mextrek. We left Galeana on Sunday and headed down to Guanajuato for a few days. Good times there, including celebrating Dia de los Muertos. Left there and rode to Puerto Vallarta via an overnight in Tepic. We have friends in Vallarta and had a great time there as usual (just too hot this time of year). On the way home, we spent some time in Zacatecas. We have been there several times over the past 20 years and always enjoy it. We started out in San Antonio and ended in San Antonio. Just shy of 3000 miles, all Libre. A DRz and a XR650L. Life is good. If somebody can explain how to post without an account at a hosting company, I could post up some pictures.

Wow! What a trip. I look forward to your trip report.

Curious whether everyone got their vehicle permits or not? Last time I was there they never checked it and I'm going to head down next week. Don't have time to do it online ahead of time and doing it in person seems a pain. Are they still serious about it?

Curious whether everyone got their vehicle permits or not? Last time I was there they never checked it and I'm going to head down next week. Don't have time to do it online ahead of time and doing it in person seems a pain. Are they still serious about it?

Honestly, if you have the right information with you it's so easy to do it when you get there. It took 4 of us 30 minutes to get it done start to finish. This assumes there are no long lines.

Thanks - I've moved around quite a lot so not all of my addresses on all the documents are the same (which is difficult if you live in a different state than where your bike is titled). Does anyone know how long the turnaround is at the Houston Consulate? I have one day in Houston prior to leaving, can they do it same day?

Back