• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Chain Mystery Part

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
i-F3KKWKp-M.jpg

The two most common types of motorcycle chain master links are the clip type and the rivet type. Many new chains come with both styles as options.

In the photo above is what comes with one manufacturer's rivet link. Recognizable is everything but the camel hump shaped "spring clips" (see the overview description in the lower right hand corner of the picture that lists what's included with the link).

Dinner in Mexico City with Salma, for the first person who can describe what those clips actually do. :giveup:

Last edited:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_crozt2mT4"]RK Chain Clip vs Rivet Connecting Link - YouTube[/ame]

I've done due diligence to try to find my own answer.

As part of that search, I came across this pretty cool video. The bloopers at the end are pretty funny.

No mention of the spring clips by this guy though.

In the end it really doesn't matter because I'm going to use the clip type master link on the KTM 500. But just the fact those clips exist and not knowing why they're there is annoying!

Last edited:
i-F3KKWKp-M.jpg

In the photo above is what comes with one manufacturer's rivet link. Recognizable is everything but the camel hump shaped "spring clips" (see the overview description in the lower right hand corner of the picture that lists what's included with the link).

Spacers so you do not over compress the link when riveting

Salma texted me and said she’s sending the Gulfstream for both you guys.

Ok so just to complete the story how does one actually employ those clips as spacers during install? I can’t visualize it!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8EFVfaT8w"]Regina Chain - Kettenwechsel 2 von 6 - YouTube[/ame]

They slip over the O rings on the master link. When you press the connector plate on, then mushroom the rivet heads these clips keep the rings from getting crushed. Pop them out after setting the rivets and the space for the O rings is preserved.

They slip over the O rings on the master link. When you press the connector plate on, then mushroom the rivet heads these clips keep the rings from getting crushed. Pop them out after setting the rivets and the space for the O rings is preserved.

This:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back