• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dallas Trinity River Levees

Seems this thread has morphed away from the levees, but I just saw it and have a suggestion for the Dallas City Council, the Corp. of Engineers, etc:

Instead of building an artificial whitewater park (on the Trinity? C'mon! Sounds like a Farrelly brothers movie) how about a moto-park for ORVs? :rider: I mean, it exists naturally, just some grading, signs, pic-a-nic tables.

Oh yeah, I forgot - ORVs are not environmentally friendly. Not like an artificial whitewater run with attendant pumps, etc.

I live in east FW off 30 and Oakland. The woods around there are off limits BUT very rugged and untamed. The city owns it all and it would be the perfect spot for an off road park. Theres even a parking area over by channel 5.

I look out my back door at it all and just wish n dream.

Ive been riding off 820 on the east side of FW a little. There are alot of trails across the hwy from that wakeboard lake. You can even cross the Trinity at one point.

How do you access this?

Thanks!

Rich

Wow this is an old topic but years ago my studio was near the levee and Inwood Rd. Kept dirt bikes in my place and we used to ride all over down in the river bottoms heading north from the Motor St/Inwood road area.

There were some great trails and hills in the wooded areas and we rode from downtown out past the sewage reclamation plant on I-30 towards Ft. Worth and rode out almost into Las Colinas. This was 10 years ago but there were trails and single track then.

I'm sure it's changed now with focus on the area but it actually was a great place to ride at the time... considering local options :loll:

And BTW are the trails out off Hwy 360 still open?

They were closed pretty tight last time I checked. Signs posted, access blocked, etc.

360 is still there and I have never seen a sign or been told not to ride there. Not cool for trailering bikes in but to hop off the road in Euless and ride over to Grand Prairie on a DS is alot of fun.

Jeeps are all over the place at night.

Gasser, Exactly how are you getting in to the area around 820?

The way I've found is to just head down towards the wakeboard lake. The only problem with that way is that there are plenty of signs telling you that if you are there for any other purpose than the private use of the wakeboard area, then you are trespassing. So that was as far as my exploration went.

I went down there once as well. It didn't look like a place I would want to be explaining why I was there if asked.

I live in east FW off 30 and Oakland. The woods around there are off limits BUT very rugged and untamed. The city owns it all and it would be the perfect spot for an off road park. Theres even a parking area over by channel 5.

I look out my back door at it all and just wish n dream.

When I lived off Lancaster and Oakland area in the 80s we rode those hills behind channel 5. A lot of people did and the place stayed pretty clean. When the city shut down off road riding and 4X4 usage the place became a trash dump. Walking the dogs in there I always came on new piles of garbage or yet another discarded rotting couch. Only the dumpers drove in regularly.

I see from the freeway that a large gas extraction facility has leveled and graveled a huge pad out there now. So much for preserving that last bit of wild prairie in the city. It would have been better off with bikes and Jeeps these past thirty years.

Dallas City Marshals are down in the levee area patrolling. They giving warnings first then $500 fines. The only one place I might ride down there is an area of single track just west of Harry Hines, close to Strokers.
but I'd still be careful if you don't know your way around. you can take a mountain bike and ride wherever you want.

The 360 area is actually in Ft Worth where a finger of Ft worth extends way out east just across highway 360. I've never seen a Ft. Worth cop go way out there and give anyone trouble. Not that I might have missed it.

I accessed it from Hwy 360 just south of trinity Blvd. There is a railroad track that goes over 360 and a couple small trails that you can hop off the shoulder on just N of that overhead rail overpass from the southbound lane, and go down by the river, or through it.. Lots of 4x4's go there. You can also access it from Old Tarrant Main st. or S Min street off of Trinity Blvd. Last time I was out there there were some huge wooden ramps someone built..

Was cool to go there last time I went, and folks even trailered in from S main st. though I never did. The trails go on both east and west sides of 360 as you can go under the 360 bridge that crosses the river. Last I saw they were planning some kind of highway expansion through part of it, but I don't think that has started yet. Depending on rain there could be massive 4x4 ruts around though.

Here's a google map location... you can see the trails and follow them east across 360 [ame="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.812616,-97.06462&ll=32.815808,-97.070174&spn=0.011451,0.021007&num=1&t=h&gl=us&z=16"]32.812616,-97.06462 - Google Maps[/ame]

Back in 2007/2008 TCCRA sanctioned a cross country race off I 35 and Regal row in the trinity bottoms. Back then there were some pretty decent trails in the wooded areas. I rode out there a few times afterward but haven't been back in several years. I have recently ridden part of the levy south of Dallas and plan to ride and explore some other areas.

Trinity & 360 area is marked or gated at all possible entries.

Do NOT ride there unless you want to be trespassing.

FYI this thread was dormant for over a year before someone chimed in... Still considered trespassing to go into the area now days.

Old thread but

As was said, motor vehicles are generally prohibited on levees.

The levees along Mountain Creek and the Trinity at the end of Singleton in Dallas are gated and posted. The flood plain there is property of Dallas and the Trinity River Authority. Grand Prairie has a claim, too. GP is who comes out to shoo people off.

If you take Loop 12 to I30 West, there by the wastewater plant and before the GP landfill, you can drive off 30 and get to those ponds. I see people fishing down there sometimes.

There's also a rail spur that leads under 30 to some dirt roads where there used to be a concrete reclamation and fill dirt operation. I see 4x4s there every now and again. I think people dove hunt there, too. Don't know how legal that area is. Some of the land is Union Pacific and some is TRA again. Neither allow public use. There are locked high gates along the spur that inhibit entry to the area around the plant and along Mountain Creek. There's also some cameras along the plant's fence that runs parallel with I30.

So. Yeah. That's what's there. It's probably not exactly legal. I will say, keep off the tracks. UP and DHS / TSA do not like folks on the tracks.

The way I've found is to just head down towards the wakeboard lake. The only problem with that way is that there are plenty of signs telling you that if you are there for any other purpose than the private use of the wakeboard area, then you are trespassing. So that was as far as my exploration went.

Mosier Lake that I820 crosses? I asked the boat shop about access to that area for kayaking and fishing. They said the dock and ramps are theirs for them and their customers. It's for power boats, not kayaks and fishing. Dude was polite, so I asked about access to the little side across 820. There's a trail over there. He didn't know, but said, on the sly, people get over there using the concrete ditch, but they shouldn't. I kinda pressed him for details, and he just said, if you get jacked up over there, you're on your own.

This was when I had my C50. I went putting around the parking lot by the office park to scope out some other options. A guy who works in one of the offices was out there by the lake and we struck up a conversation about the bike. He had one too. He told me nobody fishes there. He didn't think there were fish. People from the offices go stand on the bank sometimes. Nobody says anything about that.

Back