• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas World Speedway doesn't die alone...

I saw that yesterday. Such a waste of a good track. Used to love going to the races they'd have there on odd weekends in college.

When I was a wee young lad of about 4, my Dad used to take us out there to watch the Nascar guys practice. It made a big impression. That was in 71-72. We moved away. I don't think I ever laid eyes on it again until the late 80's, and that was just cruising by on the way to and from A&M on Hwy 6. I knew guys in school that had fancy sports cars paid for by their parents. They took them out to the track to smash them into the walls! Their parents were a LOT more tolerant than mine would have been!! :lol2: It wasn't until the early 2000's that I actually went inside for several CMRA events. I did a few track days there with Lonestar Trackdays. I can't remember when I was last over there though, probably 8-10 years at least.

Been to college station a bunch of times and never knew that was there. Well written article.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

While I was racing with NASA in the Camaro/Mustang challenge series, TWS twice a year was always a highlight.

in 2010, I put this little diddy together for our banquet as a joke to one of the racers who thought he was the next DE jr.

https://vimeo.com/11052199

Lots of stories and experiences from there ... I miss it.

I went to TAMU from '80-87. I knew TWS was dying but this makes me sad to see it actually dead. Although I haven't been to the speedway in probably 20 years, somehow I'll miss it more now. Time marches on...

I've been going to that track twice a year since 2001. One of my favorite tracks with some great butt-puckering hi speed corners. Was more challenging than COTA because of the risk. Going to really miss it. Luckily I have msr nearby

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

While I was racing with NASA in the Camaro/Mustang challenge series, TWS twice a year was always a highlight.

in 2010, I put this little diddy together for our banquet as a joke to one of the racers who thought he was the next DE jr.

https://vimeo.com/11052199

Lots of stories and experiences from there ... I miss it.
Cool video. Running clockwise was always a blast. Turn 15 would rock your eyeballs in the transition and the carousel was more fun

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is very sad, I'd almost rather see it demolished and built over than letting cars sit and rust in it.

Turn 15 would rock your eyeballs in the transition

I would exit T1 onto the straight and begin repeating ...
Don't lift till on the flat ...

T4 always kicked my *** for some reason. Never could find a mark that my car liked and I felt comfortable. Went agricultural there many times. Started a nice grass fire there once. :rofl:

Another fond memory ...
https://youtu.be/j2KbH9EqAVA

Last edited:
I would exit T1 onto the straight and begin repeating ...

T4 always kicked my *** for some reason. Never could find a mark that my car liked and I felt comfortable. Went agricultural there many times. Started a nice grass fire there once. :rofl:

Another fond memory ...
https://youtu.be/j2KbH9EqAVA

That might be the best TWS video I've ever watched! :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
Saw many well known bike racers there over the years, Kevin Shawntz, Doug Polan, Ben Spies, Jamie James, the list goes on. Sort of brings a tear, much like the end of Oak Hill in Henderson.

Saw Jamie James at Oak Hill start at the back of the field on an RZ350 against 40+ 600 Ninjas and others. By lap 2 of 8 he was in 3rd, on lap 8 he made the pass for first in the last corner to win the race.

Back in the 80s, it was nothing to see grids of 40 plus bikes.

I fondly remember running about 120mph in a Zink Z19/F440 coming off the high bank in Turn4 and hitting the 'bump' then proceeding to do donuts down the entrance to pit road instead of the straight where I should have been. Ah.... the good old days of SCCA National Road Racing at TWS. :zen:

Stole the link from a racing buddy's post elsewhere.
He posted the link first of the month.

Sad to see it go. I remember going out there in the late 80's and getting to ride my VFR500 on the track. It was fun to run that course. I drive by there every once in a while and kept wondering what was going on (if anything).
Guess now I know.

The wife said that the pipe yard on 71 north of the Colorado river outside of Columbus is being used as a similar staging area for drowned cars. I plan on riding over there this weekend.

m
Yeah, I was out that way on the 15th riding back from La Grange and saw that. Tons of cars out there.

I worked there during college at A&M 74 to 78 selling beer at the beer stand at the top of the grand stand next to the press boxes with some buddies. We would trade beer for hotdogs to the folks running the hot dog stand next to us. Got to watch the race, food and beer for free and get paid (not much pay that is) can't beat that for a poor college kid. Back then it was named Texas International Speedway the fastest track in the world. They always announced over the PA the address to mail in for tickets (remember before internet when you had to mail a check in to buy tickets?) and the address was box AJ, College Station Texas. We all figured AJ Foyt was part owner or getting paid royalties to use his initials. We worked for track management before the races to get the track in shape also. Track management didn't have a clue for sure how to run a track or do work. For instance to mow the giant hill on the back of the grand stands that faces the highway they tied a rope to a four stroke push lawn mower and let it down from the top. Well guess what a four stroke engine at that steep angle gets starved for oil real fast. Yep they locked it up and could not figure out why. I was just a dumb college kid but figured that one out. So they hired us kids to use sling blades to cut the weeds down by hand. We were like the prison gang on Cool Hand Luke. It was worth it to work out there to see how not to run a business, like a real life college class. I will miss it for sure.

Last edited:
Back