• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Airless tires practical for dual-sports?

LeloTX

Reaction score
I drove by a construction site today and noticed that some of the heavy equipment used airless tires. The task of changing a motorcycle tire/tube is something I dread when out in the sticks and I wonder if a design similar to this would be practical for dual sports. My guess is that weight would be a factor?

airless_zpsirsrblh1.jpg

The foam cores are generally not good for highway speeds. I think they build up too much heat and come apart. I used to have one in the front of my KTM 530 EXC and it was only rated up to 50mph. It was supposed to be the equivalent of running 15psi in the tire. I swapped it out because I did not want my rim torn up from rock dings. I prefer 20-25psi in my tires, even in sand or deep gravel.

However that tool doesn't get your tire off the rim. You are just as likely to pinch a tube removing a tire as putting it on. So you've reduced your chance by only 50%.

_

I'll take those odds! I don't think I have ever pinched a tube while removing it. But have pinched quite a few trying to get them back in :doh:

However that tool doesn't get your tire off the rim. You are just as likely to pinch a tube removing a tire as putting it on. So you've reduced your chance by only 50%.

_

Less relevant since I'll be fixing/replacing the tube (including whatever damage I may have done) after it's off. Either way, I'll be putting on a good tube.

I just bought a new 500 Exc KTM. I had them install the moose foam inserts in the tires. I had good luck with the tubeless system on the WR 250 that I just sold. Since I ride on the highway pretty much to just get to the dirt and to the restaurant on the way home, I'm hoping they work. The highway I hit is usually around Taos and enchanted Circle,never more than about 30 miles at a time Max. I love the idea of not caring any tire change tools or having to worry about a way to put air in the tire if something does go wrong. We'll see, I head to Eagle nest in June and will be there and riding in that area and up into southern Colorado till September. If I remember, i'll let this group know the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought a new 500 Exc KTM. I had them install the moose foam inserts in the tires. I had good luck with the tubeless system on the WR 250 that I just sold. Since I ride on the highway pretty much to just get to the dirt and to the restaurant on the way home, I'm hoping they work. The highway I hit is usually around Taos and enchanted Circle,never more than about 30 miles at a time Max. I love the idea of not caring any tire change tools or having to worry about a way to put air in the tire if something does go wrong. We'll see, I head to Eagle nest in June and will be there and riding in that area and up into southern Colorado till September. If I remember, i'll let this group know the results.

Just remember, those inserts aren't damage proof. I recall watching the Dakar rally a few years back where some of the top riders were using them and they were literally coming apart inside the tires. I think they ended up yanking them and replacing with tubes. High speed is their enemy because it generates heat. The ones I had in my 530 EXC were rated for a max 50mph.

Trust me, I'll never inflict the punishment that a Dakar rider does. I like to putt around mountain passes and down forest roads. Guess I consider it a $300 test. I'm guessing I'll have to do it myself. Actually, it ended up being another $50 since they didn't balance them when they put them on. they were terrible without the balancing.My biggest worry is getting the tire off to put a paddle tire on when going to the sand dunes.

The task of changing a motorcycle tire/tube is something I dread when out in the sticks.....

You sir are the perfect student for the Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Women say that confidence is sexy, so why don't you simply just gather the few right tools and practice, practice, practice in you garage.

Then, you too can be Mr. Confidence and the go-to guy out in the bush.

Ladies will start picking you on Tinder also :trust:

I just bought a new 500 Exc KTM. I had them install the moose foam inserts in the tires. I had good luck with the tubeless system on the WR 250 that I just sold. Since I ride on the highway pretty much to just get to the dirt and to the restaurant on the way home, I'm hoping they work.

Be forewarned: highway riding at speed with inserts will build up heat and may break down the insert. They're not designed for extended, at-speed highway riding.

Enduro360 says: "Inserts are fine for dual sport and light highway use, as long as the speeds are kept to about 60 mph. But be aware that they may not perform very well on pavement for cornering and braking."

When mounting bib mousse inserts, a very generous amount of the appropriate lube is necessary, not for mounting, but to reduce friction between the insert and the tire carcass while in use

If you heed the tips in the link below, your chances of liking bib mousse inserts will increase

The Mangled Mousse

Last edited:
I would not have put them on if I had any intention of extended highway writing. As I said, I used the highway to get to the door and to get to the restaurant after I ride to the dirt,then back home. If it doesn't work, I will put them in again. I will probably go back to the tubebless system

Darn voice to text is a mess. Door should have been dirt, e

I'll take those odds! I don't think I have ever pinched a tube while removing it. But have pinched quite a few trying to get them back in :doh:

Whoever came up with the little bump on these tools should win the Nobel prize. If you slip the tool in until that little bump just clears the rim (you'll feel it), pinching a tube becomes a really hard thing to do. Having the combo wrench on the other end for rim lock and valve stem nut in one package is pretty nifty. Great trail side tool.

08-0588.jpg

Whoever came up with the little bump on these tools should win the Nobel prize. If you slip the tool in until that little bump just clears the rim (you'll feel it), pinching a tube becomes a really hard thing to do. Having the combo wrench on the other end for rim lock and valve stem nut in one package is pretty nifty. Great trail side tool.

08-0588.jpg

Yep, that exact tool worked pretty good while we were on the side of the road in the middle of Ojinaga a few years back, remember?

The cool thing is the little lip/bump is on the back side of the spoon, so when you fit it under the lip and pry it up, the curved part is facing up and there really is no way to pinch the tube.

08-0588.jpg

Where does one find that particular tool?

Back