• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW Area: KLR Tweety Removal

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
I just wanted to post this up here to maybe help out some fellow forum members. I have de-tweety'd my KLR and a few others and I have the process down to a fairly straightforward and relatively quick task. There are several threads all over the www's about this and most of which ask the rider to use a hole saw to try and get through the end cap, then take the muffler to a local shop and have a turn down welded in place.

After being a good boy and trying the hole saw, I got tired of wearing out a drill so I just plasma cut the darn thing out of there. Then we can weld in a turn down of your choosing at the angle you want.

I think I even have a can of high temp spray paint laying around here, but honestly that may only be while supplies last. So if you need a tweety removal, and are in the DFW area just shoot me a PM or reply on this thread and we can make it happen.

I wish I could get some photos of mine to upload, but Photobucket is not wanting to cooperate right now. When it decides to I will add photos to this in case anyone wants to see what mine looks like.

The fine print: If the EPA comes a knocking, we don't know each other. You had this done at a local muffler shop that has long since closed down over on the east side of town. Which town, I don't know but over on the east side. If you are not happy, unfortunately this is not something that can be reversed at a later date. It is a one and done operation, so know what you are signing up for. This is a local service only, so please no shipments of KLR exhausts for me to fix up. If you aren't local, you are still welcome to take a road trip up here. The process should take about an hour, so if you aren't too far, this is something you can ride to, and then ride home from in the same evening. The only warranty on this service is a 100% money back guarantee. Since this is a free service, if you are unhappy I will gladly refund all of your money that you didn't pay.

Last edited:
Mine doesn't tweet (2009 E-model), but I'll take you up on the turn down tip. Which do you recommend? I think the one made for the Grizzly is supposed to match up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the ones I have done, we have gone the automotive route and just grabbed whatever bend or turn down looks good from the parts bins at the auto parts stores. For any of the ones I have done the turn down is usually less than $10 from any auto parts store. That being said, if you want one welded on, we can do anything you would want. I've never done the bolt on end caps because welding a turndown on is a heck of a lot cheaper and quicker. Usually quicker and cheaper is music to a KLR owner's ears so that is what people have always asked for.:lol2:

I left the tail of mine long just because from a distance I liked how it looked, and I was certain that I would never get water or anything else in it when turned down like that. As an added bonus it directs the exhaust sound down so I hear even less of it.

A09CA2CF-9FAA-4AFC-9951-7EA1E61D1737.jpg

9613F600-7D25-43F3-BA16-5EE03CC6D301.jpg

Back