• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SW Colorado Trip

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Crockett
Spent a week in Durango, CO with my Sons and did a bit of riding in the mountains for the first time.

Here are a couple of Pictures. I was more focused on riding than taking pictures.

Kennebec Pass around 11,900 ft

659f4fbb64a6bb7fa6ef1fb5dc183a1b.jpg

Stopped to look at some old Gold Mining Equipment on the way down.

c9df48ab52f8db5f88ad12dde316deab.jpg

Evaluating our first creek crossing

e1301874a8e984cf9c2aab096973baf1.jpg

On CR 2 out of Silverton heading up to the Alpine Loop

6130020f2246e9f725a4f4235b354082.jpg

30cc6047a57935c762c7bbc2f804e4eb.jpg

Taking a break in the woods on a single track Hermosa Creek Trail. About 30 minutes after this we had a brief encounter with two bear cubs and their mother. Should have stopped and taken a picture but decided to ride faster instead.

9ebd34efc67ff40eaeaee0f36e3cefae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice report and photos.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Nice. Is the Hermosa Creek Trail open to motorcycles now or is this a trail close to Hermosa Creek?

Good stuff. I've been up to that area about a dozen times. Never on a motorcycle though, always pedaling a mtn bike. Kennebec is great.

Post more if you've got'm
-CJB

Nice pictures! I too had an scary encounter in Big Bend a few years ago with a cub and her mother.

:eek2:

RB

Nice. Is the Hermosa Creek Trail open to motorcycles now or is this a trail close to Hermosa Creek?

Hermosa Creek trail is open to motorcycles about 19 miles all the way north to the back side of Purgatory ski area. There are two other loops in that same area that return back to or near the Hermosa Creek Camp ground or end up on 550 south of Purgatory. Unfortunately we got a late start and not having a lot of experience on that kind of trail we only road about 5 or 6 miles in then headed back. We past a mountain biker who said there was a couple difficult areas further up and I did not want to risk getting caught in the dark in a heavily wooded single track. After seeing the Bears in our way back I was pretty happy with that decision even though they appeared harmless enough.

Good stuff. I've been up to that area about a dozen times. Never on a motorcycle though, always pedaling a mtn bike. Kennebec is great.

Post more if you've got'm
-CJB

I have some GoPro Footage that if I get a chance I will post some pics from that. I was doing my best not to kill myself following my son who rides more aggressively than I do so did not take to many phone pics.

Nice pictures! I too had an scary encounter in Big Bend a few years ago with a cub and her mother.

:eek2:

RB

Our encounter was over with about as soon as it started. My son rode past the two cubs and they started running for mama bear. I was about 20 yards behind him. Mama bear was leaning against a tree and hardly moved. We did not stop for another few hundred yards and then only for a second. In my mind a Mama with Cubs is not a good scene.

Back