• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Siphon hose

mlinkibikr

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Little
If you have space beneath your seat for a length of clear plastic hose it would be a great idea to stash it there in case one of your riding buddies runs short of gas and you need to siphon some from your bike to their's.

We ran our usual route to Orsaks for breakfast on New Year's Eve and one of us overestimated their bike's ability to make it to the next gas stop. Now I used to carry a length of clear plastic hose wrapped up in my mini jumper cables ... but this time it wasn't there.

I've since been over to the hardware store to remedy that as it would have saved us some time. It was pointed out to me that many of the gas tanks sit very low in some bikes and you might not always be able to siphon directly from one bike to another, but lots of times somebody will have a water bottle we can sacrifice as a temporary container.

Dave.

My rule is that if you want gas, you do the sucking... :-P

Or you could just get one of these.

15061.JPG

http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Simple_Siphon_(6_feet).htm

Skid

I don't like sucking fuel toward my lungs, so I started inserting a short second hose into the fuel tank, seal the area around the hoses with a rag, then blow into the short hose pressurizing the tank which forces the fuel out of the siphon hose. Once it's started remove the rag and short hose.

Note: Be sure to turn off the fuel valve on the motorcycle prior to pressurizing the tank or you will fill your cylinder with fuel through the carburetor.

I'd just use the petcock valve on my old machine. Sometimes the old stuff comes in handy. Just pull the line and drain it into a cup or plastic bottle and transfer. Oh, with the kickstart I don't need jumper cables either. :-)

mlinkibikr said:
lots of times somebody will have a water bottle we can sacrifice as a temporary container.

I've just scrounged up an old soda or water bottle that someone tossed on the side of the road to do this too.

It was a lot easier to get some gas out of my old BMW since it had easy-to-reach petcocks and no fuel clamps compared to my newer bikes with electric petcocks and plastic covering all the fuel plumbing. :doh:

carrying a siphon tube is a great idea. I ride every year in NC with a guy who has a McGyver inspired kit under his seat. I swear he could rebuild the bike with what he has under there. I have a picture of it someplace. He keeps a siphon tube in the area between the rear subframe and rear cowl bodywork. It works out great in that extra space there. Just make sure you dont have a regulator rectifire that needs cooling in that area already. I also have one of the auto siphon tubes like Skid shows above. That thing makes it VERY easy. :)

Vaughn

+1 on this amazing invention. But, it is a little bulky to carry around on the bike.

I keep a hose like this at home to fill up my mowers, etc. With the 8 gal fule tank on my GS, I just use it as a gas can for the home. Instead of loading a gas can into the cage, I just fill the bike up. :-P

Skid said:

Back