• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2003 VROD battery issues

I don't like battery tenders, but I have used them in the past. I had a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo that was the picture postcard for "garage queen" - I practically never drove it. After several "battery" issues I finally wised up and bought a battery disconnect. It was $5 or so at wally world. Put this on the battery and after driving the car I would pop the hood, spin the disconnect, and then lower the hood. When I wanted to drive the car I would simply reverse the "procedure". Did this for over 5 years on a single battery and in that time I never had to charge - trickle or otherwise.

Every vehicle with some sort of security system (covers cars, bikes, trucks, etc) will have a small drain on the battery when parked, locked and secured. This is a normal condition. For your typical "garage ornaments", you either need to disconnect the battery, or put them on a tender.

Disconnecting the battery alone can cause all sorts of issues, from forgotten settings (auto up/down windows, radio stations, all the programmed and learned fuel injector and engine control settings, etc). For these reasons I recommend never disconnecting the battery on any modern vehicle. Most well equipped garages that work on vehicles will have a memory maintainer that they can plug into an active power point during a battery change to maintain these learned settings.

A battery tender can boil a battery dry, regardless of the quality of tender used. If you have a defective battery to start with, nothing will fix it, and the tender will continually try to bring it back to spec - which it will never reach - and that will result in a dry, toasted battery.

Of course, you can always ignore me, if you like. :) And, as always, YMMV.

A battery tender can boil a battery dry, regardless of the quality of tender used. If you have a defective battery to start with, nothing will fix it, and the tender will continually try to bring it back to spec - which it will never reach - and that will result in a dry, toasted battery.

Of course, you can always ignore me, if you like. :)
Based on what you posted above.. I think thats the good option' :giveup: to avoid a discussion on fact vs outdated information and wives tales that never were real.:-D

BTW how old is this battery? Where did you get it? W mart lead acid 6 months tops if you have a Battery Tender brand expect maybe 8 to 12 months if your lucky. I never had one last much longer than 6 months. Use a AGM type batteries, your disappointment level well improve.

A short list of some of the problems you might run into...
http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_disconnect_problems.htm

A quick description of the proper way to do it (also covered in the above article)...
http://www.ehow.com/how_7695043_replace-car-battery-losing-memory.html

New bikes have the same ABS systems, some also have fuel injection and engine management functions controlled by the computer. My current ride is one of them. I don't know how disconnecting the battery on this one will affect it, but I suspect it won't be a big deal.

Back