• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GL1800 Alternator damper?

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Wife's uncle wants me to help him replace an alternator damper on an 1800 trike. Two questions.

1) has anyone ever heard of this needing replacement?

2) for research purposes are the trikes the same from the trike portion forward?

Dealer diagnosed it for him due to rattle/grind at low idle. It then go's away with increased engine RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well that very well can be the problem and it is a known issue that happens.

probably a total nightmare on a trike as you go in from underneath on the back side of the engine.

but with no wheel and tire in the middle there it could be not that bad, just have to get it up high enough to stick your head under there to see how much room you have.

don't forget to disconnect the battery!

did some research and listen to this video and tell me is this the sound it is making? [ame="http://youtu.be/gZEM5NzxaRA"]http://youtu.be/gZEM5NzxaRA[/ame]

if this is the sound it is the ADG (common) unfortunately the engine has to come out, the noise is coming from a spring loaded damper inside the transmission and the back cover has to come off to replace it.

most common on pre 06 models, the 06 switched to a hydraulic damper instead of springs but they do also fail and Honda now uses a newer third design.

there are videos on youtube and the 1800 forum has a thread on it.

well that very well can be the problem and it is a known issue that happens.

probably a total nightmare on a trike as you go in from underneath on the back side of the engine.

but with no wheel and tire in the middle there it could be not that bad, just have to get it up high enough to stick your head under there to see how much room you have.

don't forget to disconnect the battery!

Thanks for the info Leon. Sounds like this is a few steps above my pay grade. I think I'll recommend he find a real mechanic for this. The dealer wanted $1400. Sounds fair given all the work involved.

Yea, I have never been around one being taken apart, it might not be that hard, but it sure looks like a bunch of plastic, plumbing, and wiring and a good transmission platform jack or such would be needed.
I had hoped a dedicated wing owner who knows for sure would have chimed in by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Looks like he found an Indy shop in Grand Prairie to take care of it for substantially less than then the dealer.

The Indy shop ended up just turning up the idle. Bad idea in my opinion as it just masked the problem.

Back