• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

plastic welder in Dallas-Fort Worth?

Reaction score
broke the tour pack on the LT beemer today, took a pothole pretty hard.
Anyone know of a plastic welder in the DFW area that does good work?

Call the local plumbers and pipe fitters union hall, most all commercial companies weld plastic.
DSI in Austin does it they are in Dallas area too. You may be able to rent a welder or do it with plastic rod and a real hot air gun, I've done it on lots of PVC but it takes practice to make it look good. We would grind a groove and fill it, plastic weld is big stuff these days with price of steel, most all process cooling water flows through plastic now instead of stainless, and it's butt welded

Plumbers and BMWs................hmmmmmm.

Think I found the guy who used to do business in what is now BWM motorcycles of Fort Worth.
ASAP Texas Fairing and Watercraft, just a few blocks southeast of the beemer shop.
He did my Kawasaki voyager VII trunk 20 years ago and made it look like new.
Think I'll make a trip this week sometime and confirm that. He also works on mastercraft boats so he isn't a hacker. I hope.

I've seen plastic weld demos on pipe and it broke somewhere other than weld, done right it's ok

It's an option, since my guy apparently knew I would need him and went out of business.

I learned plastic welding in the early 1980's, 81 or 82 but don't have the gear and don't want to fool with it.
Since I can't locate a welder in the motorcycle business, I think glass is the logical step.

Combine West's G-Flex epoxy with fiberglass cloth for a repair as strong as welding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curt at Colorworks in Keller

www.colorworksmotorcycles.com

Called about a dozen times, never got a human to answer, messages have gone without response.
He's probably got all the work he can handle so I bought my own welder from Urethane Supply.

09-07-14
So I dismounted the beemer trunk and set about assessing the damage, which was much greater than casual inspection showed.
I have not done the interior repair yet, but have done the prep and welding of some fairly significant cracks and voids on the underside.

Having been trained ( last century ) on pvc pipe welding I thought I had this down.
It isn't remotely similar, at least to me. Once I got the feel for it it goes smoothly, and not rushing the process seems key to success.
I have about 4 hours into this project at the moment with another two to go before final prep and paint.

Years ago I was charged about $275.00 to do a repair on a Voyager VII trunk, and now I have a fuller appreciation of why it was a bit pricey.
Cost to acquire, learning curve and paint supplies will still not equal the replacement cost of a new trunk for the LT.
Quality tool with a good ROI.

Back