• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Name Your Favorite Colorado and New Mexico roads.

Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Wright
Seems like there is a ton of us Texans that really enjoy the cooler climates and roads in states to our West. Name your favorite roads in New Mexico and Colorado. We all are always looking for more curvy and scenic roads so post on up your top five or ten.:rider:

Last edited:
I call them Tom, Dick and Harry, but only to protect them. :-)

New Mexico:

Sun Spot Hwy South of Cloudcroft to Timberon

West Side Road (dirt) South of US 82 from Mountain Park down to Sun Spot Hwy just North of Timberon.

Scott Able and Agua Chiquita Rds between the South end of West Side Rd and Weed, NM. Dirt most of the way, paved a bit before you reach Weed.

Blue Water Creek Rd (dirt) South of Weed, NM. May show as NF 160 and/or Weed Rd.

Wilkerson Well, Russell Gap, and Trails End Rds (dirt) between Pinon on NM 24 and Hope on US 82.

NM 24 from Pinon up to Mayhill on US 82. Paved.

MANY other great roads in this area as well, but those are high on my list.

NM 152 between Truth or Consequences and Silver City. Paved. Emory Pass is very cool.

NM 35 North of 152 up to 15 and the Gila Cliff dwellings, then back down 15 all the way to Silver City. All paved.

Head North from Truth or Consequences, hang a left on NM 52 toward Winston. Just North of Winston, head West on NM 59. At Beaverhead Landing, the pavement ends. North of Beaverhead Landing, head West on NM 159 to NF-94 and up to NM 12. It is all dirt. It it is wet, it is all slimey slippery cow poopy nasty mud... It stinks and it sticks... DAMHIK... :puke:

If you stay on 59 North of Beaverhead Landing, it is dirt and runs up to US 60. It drops you out near the VLA, the big array of radio telescopes seen in the movie Contact. This is a great ride!

Getting back over by Silver City, head NW on US 180 to NM 78. NM 78 over to AZ 78 and to US 191 is all paved and an excellent twisty scenic ride.

Of course, if you get this close to 191, you might as well head North to Apline, Az. This is a spectacular paved ride, not to be missed it at all possible to do it!

Just East of Alpine, look for Blue Rd., running South from US 180 right near Luna Lake. It starts paved but quickly goes to dirt and becomes Blue River Rd (NF-281e). You will have to cross the river by riding through it. We did it on big bikes (1200 GS, KTM 1190/990). It follows the river and is just incredibly scenic and winding. Just past Red Hill Rd., it cuts East into NM, still called Blue River Rd., and runs all the way to US 180. The section in Az is wide and well maintained. The NM side narrows and is somewhat rough in sections, but still easily done on our big bikes. It is also dirt.

North of Albuquerque, Hwy 4 between US 550 and US 285, all paved.

Hwy 518 South from Taos to Las Vegas, all paved.

US 64 between US 285 and US 84, through the Carson NF. All paved. VERY scenic.

NM/CO 17 between Chama, NM., and Antonito, Co. All paved and VERY scenic. If you have the time, the train ride between the two towns is WELL worth the money. Do the whole route if you can, not an out and back.

US 160 between Cortez in SW corner of Colorado over to South Fork. It is just a nice pretty ride, although there are now entire mountain sides of dead trees because of the Pine Beetles ravaging the area. All paved. Wolf Creek Pass is nice between Pagosa Springs and South Fork. Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings near Cortez are really cool and the ride into the park is paved and nice as well.

NM 511 near the Navajo Dam/Lake up to the Colorado border is fun.

On the North end of the lake, take CR F East to CR 500 and run along the San Juan River allt he way up to Pagosa Springs. All dirt. Well maintained. A few cool ghost towns, abandoned narrow gauge tracks, cars, and bridges ca be found along the way.

Colorado:

The short version, Anything West of I-25... :-P Including I-70!

The road going to the summit of Mt. Evans in Colorado (highest paved road in the US) and/or the road going to the summit of Pikes Peak. Take yer choice.

Okay, so the long version for Colorado...

CO 12 between Trinidad and US 160 just outside of Walsenburg. All Paved. Very scenic and twisty.

If you prefer dirt, come out 12 from Trinidad to CR 41.7 and head NW. All dirt. It eventually cuts back NE and hits CR 42.0. Take that a short way to CR 46.0 and hang a Left (West). This runs all the way to 12 just South of Cuchara, crossing Cordova Pass along the way. All dirt. All incredibly scenic. All big bike friendly. There are TONS of other roads in this area though. There are a few decent places for food in Cuchara.

From Walsenburg, run CO 69 NW to 96. All paved. Fun twisty ride through the mountains. From here, I usually head back East a bit and make a run down CO 165 until it starts to straighten out, then I turn around and run back up to 96. Along the way you can stop and check out Bishop's Castle. I then head up to Canon City.

On the West side of Canon City, just off US 50 is Skyline Drive. It is ONE WAY and the width of a car. It is paved. You can fall off each side... It drops you back into town. There are cool views from the top, especially of a massive MX motorcycle/bike park that seems to wrap around the West side of the city!

US 50 all the way from Canon City to Montrose is really nice with several passes along the way. All paved of course. It is fun to stop at the Royal Gorge Bridge just West of Canon City. Do the nine story high swing that sends you flying out over the gorge... You will scream like a little girl ;-) I don't know if they still allow it or not, but we rode over the bridge and went out of the park via a back exit. That road was kind of cool (paved). If you want some dirt, do Old Monarch Pass West of Poncha Springs.

CO 9 between US 50 and I-70. All paved. This has a bit of everything from high plains to serious passes and vistas! The ride through Leadville in particular is great.

Old Hwy 6 East of Dillon up and over Loveland Pass. All paved. Great views. Fun twisties when you drop back down to I-70.

CO 103 South from Idaho Springs on I-70 to CO 5. Run up 5 to the top of Mt. Evans. Come back down and run 103 over Squaw Pass to Bergen Park. LOTS of fun twisties and crazy views from the top of Mt. Evans if it is clear! Be sure to stop at Summit Lake on the way up. From Bergen Park, get back up to I-70 then on US 6 a short bit to reach CO 119. Run 119, 72 and 7 all the way up to Estes Park. This is called the Peak-to-Peak Hwy. It is a superb paved ride, but there is a chance of traffic, especially on the South end and up near Estes Park. All paved.

US 34 through the Rocky Mtn NP. Might be a lot of traffic depending on when you ride it. Crazy awesome scenery. WATCH your speed... Just saying... :cool2:

Co 134 between US 40 North of Kremmling over to Toponas, then 131 South to I-70. All paved, cool scenery and fun curves.

I-70 from Idaho Springs to Grand Junction. Yeah, I know, this is an Interstate. But it is actually a really nice ride! This is especially true as you approach Glenwood Springs.

Co 82 South of Glenwood Springs through Aspen and over Independence Pass to US 24. Don't even bother stopping in Aspen. The level of pretentious snottery is off the charts. Gas and food is WAY over priced. They will ticket you if you park your bike anywhere other than the little spots right at the intersections where people can hit them... :doh: They don't even care if you cram four bikes into ONE regular parking space. Nothing to see here... move along... ;-) The run over Independence Pass is really cool. For a bit of dirt, Lincoln Creek Rd and South Fork Leg Creek Rds are both dead ends but lead to cool spots with waterfalls. You could do them on most street bikes if they are dry.

Co 133 Southest from Carbondale up and over McClure Pass to Hotchkiss is great. All paved. Sometimes it is fun to head South on Co 92 from Hotchkiss along the North side of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. VERY scenic and fun! Just watch for loose cattle :eek2: The other option is to continue past Hotchkiss and head North on Co 65 over the Grand Mesa up to I-70. This is all paved, has great twisties, and is very scenic as well. For amazing dirt, head North from Paonia on 133 up Steven's Gulch Rd., to CR 265. After Buzzard CReek, pick up CR 266 and follow the creek to CR 330, turn Northeast and head toward Fairview Rd. From there you can run various backroads into Rifle. That is all dirt and really awesome. Just North of Rifle is W. Rifle Creek Rd. It is dirt/gravel. Hang a left on Piceance Rd., cross Co 13 and pick up CR 5. CR 5 is paved all the way up to US 64. This and 64 into Rangley are nice.

Let's head back over to US 285 at Buena Vista. Head West out of town on CR 306. This goes to Cottonwood Pass. It is paved on the East side of the pass, dirt on the West. Although, the dirt on the West side is VERY well maintained and I have seen street bikes riding it without issue. It runs down to Almont. OR... you can head North at Taylor Park Reservoir on NF 742. At NF 748, cut back to the Southwest until you hit Spring Creek Rd. This is a really nice loop around the reservoir, dropping you back on 742 just North of Almont.

In Almont, you have to drive through a trailer park, through the fence, and behind a tree to pick up the beginning of NF 743 on the East side of town. Just a short bit out of the park, the road turns South and starts a serious climb through some crazy tight switchbacks, barely big enough for a big adventure bike to make the turns at full lock. You DO NOT want to be on this if it is wet. At the top, just head East and stay on 743. It gets MUCH easier at the top. 743 eventually loops back to the Southwest and comes out just North of Gunnison. It is all dirt. The sections up in the Aspen trees are incredible. You have to stop and sit for a while, just to listen to the trees whispering to you.

Of course, there is 149 from US 50 down through Lake City, Creede, and ending in South Fork. All paved. All fantastic. Stop at North Clear Creek Falls along the way. They are off CR 16. You can also follow CR 16 beyond the falls for a nice short dirt ride that eventually brings you back to 149.

If you happened to have come down Co 92 from Hotchkiss, right near where 92 hits US 50, you should see CR 25 running South down to 149. This is unpaved, wide and well maintained gravel. Very fun and pretty.

If you skip over on 149 to the East toward Powderhorn, head South on CR 27 along Cebolla Creek. Stay on CR 50 and keep following the Creek West back to 149. All dirt. I love this section. There is rarely ANY traffic and it is very pretty.

If you veer East on CR Kk-14 instead of CR 50, you can run that East to CR Nn-14 and run that Southeast to Co 114, or you can run it North to 114 and then run up 114 along Cochetopa Creek back to US 50. The CRs are dirt, 114 is paved. This is another really fun ride!

Now, there are all the various passes in the area around Lake City, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, etc,... they are ALL awesome! However, they are NOT all big bike friendly. In fact, I would not do some of them (Black Bear and Imogene) on big bikes if I had a choice. Engineer, Cinnamon, Owl Creek, Ophir, Bolam, Last Dollar Highway, and others on a big bike. Most of the rest in the area I would prefer to do on my KTM 530 EXC. I really like Scotch Creek Rd. It runs between Co 145 and US 550, starting just South of Rico on 145. It can be done on a big bike, but some parts are pretty technical because it is not a heavily traveled road. At the top, you come down the East side on Hermosa Park Rd., just like from Bolam Pass. All dirt.

Co 145 from Delores to Naturia is fantastic. Lizzard Head Pass is fun. All paved.

Co 62 between 145 and US 550 is pretty and fun. All paved.

CR 58p runs from 145 South of Placerville up to where Last Dollar Highway hits 58p and then continues up to Co 62. The South end, near Sawpit on 145 has some incredible switchbacks dropping you back down to 145. 58p and Last Dollar are all dirt.

Also near Sawpit, but on the South side of 145 is Falling Creek Rd. This runs down (up?) to Little Cone Rd. It runs West North of several big Mountains, including Delores Peak, to CR G49. Take CR 46M West to CR 49g. Follow 49g all the way down to CR 52. There is a crazy fun set of switchbacks right before you reach 52. Stay East on 52 and it will eventually become NF 611, which tees into CR 38 at the West Delores River. Follow that all the way back out to 145 North of Rico. It's all dirt, some of which can be challenging on a big bike. This is where my infamous upside down 1150 GS picture was taken...

Co 141 from Naturita, through Gateway, and back to US 50. AWESOME... Watch for loose horses and cattle. Be sure to stop and see the Hanging Flume.

In Grand Junction, I like to ride the Colorado National Monument. It is not about going fast (heavily patrolled), but about the spectacular scenery. Lunch in town at the Rockslide Brewery/Cafe.

US 550 between Montrose and Durango. It's the Million Dollar highway. It is simply incredible. Don't ride it if you have a fear of heights. I have seen it empty and packed. It is better empty, but ride with caution! The last time I was on it was in April of 2015 and it had slush on it. There were frozen water falls on the sides of the mountains. We went slow...

There are several cool dirt roads along US 550 that just go into the mountains a bit to mines and then come back to US 550. They are often really fun and you can walk right up to some of the mines. Just be aware that there are STILL nails on the ground in places and flats are not uncommon when you get around them. The same is true around any of the other zillion plus mines in this area!

That's about it for what I have ridden. The list of what I still WANT to ride is pretty long... ;-)

Ok, I'm going to have to write these down. I've got family in Colorado, and these sound like just the thing when I ride up there

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Kebler pass is a mix of paved and unpaved and so far as I'm aware it runs through the largest Aspen grove in the, world? It's huge and beautiful. Good views without giving you vertigo. Doable on an FJR but I wouldn't do it again I don't think without something with more forgiving suspension on the washboard.

DSCN3107_zpswhyr4cr2.jpg

Independence pass is pretty amazing.

DSCN3102_zpsy6hqbgtg.jpg

The good thing about both of those is they are kind of connected by 133. 133 was amazing, great pavement and pretty much abandoned. Nobody on that road but an FJR and a sports car having some fun. I have no pictures of 133 as I was too busy twisting the throttle and having fun to stop and take pictures.

The other good thing about 133 is if you don't want to do the dirt, it'll lead you south to CO92 which has already been mentioned at least once here and is fantastic.

That said, one of my favorite roads when I first get to Colorado is 69 out of Walsenburg. First, there's a very motorcycle friendly Best Western in Walsenberg. Have breakfast, then hit the gas station next door to fill up and head out 69 right behind the gas station. I call it the Colorado appetizer. Great ride through the valleys with mountains around you, fantastic meadows, and just enough twists to get you going when you normally ride in Texas and have crossed west Texas to get there and haven't quite got your curvy legs under you. You go from easy sweepers to tighter turns and more elevation change as you find your way to 50. From there you can take your pick but you'll have started your riding in Colorado off right and will be ready for more.

20150923_070214_zpsnl9ydzjx.jpg

Last time there I rode through RMNP and wondered why I hadn't before. RMNP makes a good photographer out of anyone. Simply pick a random direction and aim your camera and shoot with your eyes closed and you have something amazing.

Last edited:
That's easy, any road in SW CO, or NW NM....as my home town is Durango, Co where I grew up riding. Going back late June, and I can't wait to rent and ride again. Road repairs on 550 south of Silverton may modify my plans though.

Try the Southern Ute reservation, near Ignacio for some nice roads, views and interesting culture.

In Colorado I like 149,114,550,92,50,and 12 a lot. New Mexico Loop 38,515,434,and 64. So many more to explore and enjoy.

Here is one I have of CO149.

DSCN1664-001_zpszfpo8xpv.jpg

C0114.
DSCN1659-001_zpsautpqoeb.jpg

CO550.
DSCN0175-001_zpshtdljq2m.jpg

Colorado 92.
DSCN0215-001_zpscnpj5rhu.jpg

CO12.
DSCN1601-001_zpswfxtaxyp.jpg

Last edited:
Colorado:

The short version, Anything West of I-25... :-P Including I-70!

:lol2::clap::clap::clap:

Colorado:
- Hwy 149.
- Hwy 114.
- Hwy 12, Cucharas Pass.
- FR 730 from Crested Butte to Gunnison.
- 119/72/7 up through Nederland, to Estes Park.
- The forest road north from Crested Butte to Schofield Pass is a blast in the Jeep. Never been all the way up there on the VStrom.

New Mexico:
- Sunspot Hwy.
- 82 through Cloudcroft, and on to Alamogordo.
- Oh heck, basically anything in the Cloudcroft-Ruidoso area.
- 180 from Silver to City to Alpine AZ. Although I've never gotten to do it on a bike.
- 518 from Taos to Las Vegas.

Last edited:
Lot's of good routes above! I'll throw in the kitchen sink now...<lol>

Best of Colorado

Actually, I really enjoy going from west from Yampa, Colorado via CR8. Along CR8, there are some very scenic side roads including CR155 south to Trapper Lake. One word of caution is portions of CR8 have large accumalations of heavy gravel along the edges of the road, so you will want to stay in the tire tracks especially if you're riding a porky adventure bike.

RB

Near Flat Top Lake (not my pictures)

japp_20120726_2879.jpg

fe6be3043cfe81567c7fd67845dd0e62.jpg

Last edited:
A few years ago several of us riding KLR's stumbled upon Taylor Pass. We made it but it wasn't pretty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll be riding Cr 8 in July , started up the east end of it last summer till my bike quit so I had to work on it to limp it back to camp . Rode up the west end a few days latter then had to work on the bike again . I'm taking a different bike this year . My favorite paved road is state hi 69 , beautiful drive , takes me where I want to go and no traffic jams like every other road in Colorado I've ever been on .

My favorite paved road is state hi 69 , beautiful drive , takes me where I want to go and no traffic jams like every other road in Colorado I've ever been on .

Absolutely! I had meant to put that one on my list. In the Jeep with the trailer, it's a nice shortcut to Salida, and passing is relatively easy even pulling the popup. On a bike, It's sheer joy and with 360-degree scenery. Don't speed through the little town of Westcliffe; there's always a local LEO lurking there. There's also a smaller road, 1A, that breaks west and cuts a couple more miles off, heading to Coaldale on US 50 instead of to Texas Creek. Again, watch out for a sheriff's car that likes to lurk in a pull-out on 1A.

In Crested Butte, there's also Washington Gulch Road. Just north of CB, it goes west, through some open ranchland, over a pass, then drops back down and reconnects with Gothic Road just past Schofield Pass. Like so many of these roads, I've never had the pleasure on a bike, but have found it an easy and scenic drive in the Grand Cherokee. Turns out it's also the perfect road for terrifying your sister in law. :trust:

Last edited:
DSCN1631-001_zpsx9rnkizp.jpg

This one was a neat one out side of Gunnison over to Creasted Butte.

Think this was CO 69. There was a fire up in the mountains as we passed thru.
DSCN1607-001_zpsw1lymvyf.jpg

Last edited:
1A is part of the route , I don't know what is on the northeast end of 69 . I left my truck in the woods on the road up the hill to a friends place due north of Westcliffe some years back . Something about that little town I like , I would be really happy living there if it didn't have 10 ft of snow covering it for half the year . New food in town too , the bowling ally on the west end of town has a pretty good restraunt in it . I'll be thru there in July heading for the northwest corner for a few weeks relief from Texas .

Last edited:
Back