• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lone Star Loop (2,180 DS loop)

Dunno. Never gone more than 80 without gassing. General consensus is 95-115 road.

I get 99 before reserve on my stock DRZ 400 S. Another 50 with my 1 gal Rotopax.

On this east side, there will not be any problem finding fuel.
Don't think you can go 10 miles without going by any number of stations even on the county roads.

----

Just pulled the loop up, it goes a lot further west than what I was remembering.
Have not been to that area north to south that is west of DFW, so no idea of fuel stations.

Last edited:
Montana mounted, Virb mounted, just need to try the video out.

Not my kind of weather to ride/camp in for the next 10 days.
First week of March I can head out to ride the whole trail, anyone else up to it?

Last edited:
I road 296 miles today. 161 miles were on the Lone Star Loop, counter clockwise from Hwy 90 west of Castrville to Hwy 90 west of Waelder.

Good job Jerry.

It was really a good ride with no turn arounds at all, the route worked perfect. A lot of dirt roads!:rider:

A few nice places to stop and take five. It was dry today, but there were a couple places that would be bad if it was wet, they were rutted up pretty good and looked like dark clay. I am sure if it were wet it would be real bad, worse than that road on the ET450. NE out just out of Coughran, if it is wet when you go it will be easy to route around.

Great info on GPS and routes!! Thanks for sharing..
Hopefully I can contribute in the future.

Thanks Calvin for the pix and for sending me the tracks you rode on the Lone Star Loop. I have compiled the tracks your rode and verified, and the ones I have ridden and verified, on a copy of the master file of the Loop. I'm including it here.

The "Verified" tracks are green and the Non-Verified (NV) tracks are red.

I would appreciate some of you guys looking at the file to see if you have ridden any of the tracks that are shown to be non-verified. If you have, please post the tracks here (or road numbers from point-a to point-b) or email them to me so I can keep the Verified File updated. Also, if anyone has opportunity to ride a section of the Loop as Calvin did, please send me the info.

Attachments

• Lone Star Loop Master-Verified.gdb
    233.8 KB · Views: 311
This is an updated file (2-26-15)for the Lone Star Loop that shows which tracks have been ride verified. For more info see post # 84 above.

Whoops ... forgot to attach the file. Also, see post #83 (not #84) for more info

Attachments

233.9 KB · Views: 268
Rode the section of the Loop from west of Knox City to just south of Electra. Good roads, all public access, some really rugged ranch land west and south of Crowell.
I'm attaching an updated gdb file of the verified sections of the Loop indicated by a green track.

Attachments

233.9 KB · Views: 272
Hi everybody

I'm new in the forum, and sKatZ pointed this loop out to me.
This is incredible, and I'm immensely impressed Jerrybo (and all of you who've scouted, edited, and in general contributed).

I've got this Saturday-Wednesday (May 23-27) free, and I'm thinking this would be a great trip!

I wanted to post here, in case there might be anyone else interested in joining me for any stretch of it! PM me if so!
I'll be leaving from Denton, TX.
:rider:

Last edited:
That comes out to 436 miles per day. Dual sport miles vary a bit based on the terrain and weather. I would add a couple of more days for that loop.

RB

That comes out to 436 miles per day. Dual sport miles vary a bit based on the terrain and weather. I would add a couple of more days for that loop. RB

I was really just planning on going as far as a comfortably got, and spending the last day riding back on the freeway.
But my off time fell perfectly in the middle of the major flash flooding and thunderstorms going on a few weeks ago....

Can't wait for new off-time so I can get out and see this...

I'm in Denton, so I'll be picking up the trail from Sanger;
Would you recommend me starting East or West from there?

Is the file a Base Camp or Google Earth File. Having problems installing. I need help.

I just opened up Basecamp.
File>Import.
Voila.

Opened in Basecamp just fine for me. No routes but you can pick your tracks and have basecamp build a route for you to upload to a GPS. I'm going over it now. Can't ride it for at least another year and a half but have sights set on it. My departure from the Corps ride will be the CDR ride then I may move to this :)

I downloaded it and double clicked it. Eventually it opened up basecamp and loaded.

I got the file from the first post. Is that the most recent?

I was just noticing some of you were having trouble opening the files for the Lone Star Loop. I designed the "route" in MapSource, then split it into 3 sections to facilitate the limitations of my GPS (Garmin 60 CSX) and then converted "routes" to "tracks" using WinGDB3. I'm attaching the four files which include both routes and tracks along with waypoint towns for gas, food, and lodging. As I've mentioned in earlier posts, all of the route has not been ride verified except what I've shown on the previously posted "Verified Map". I have, however verified the entire route using Roads of Texas Map Book, TXDOT County Grid Map http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/county_grid_search.htm and flown the route at low level on Google Earth.

Hope this helps. If you have a chance to ride any portion of Loop, please let me know of any navigation problems you encounter.

Sorry, forgot to push the upload button after I selected the files

Attachments

• Lone Star Loop Master Rev-1a.gdb
    1.3 MB · Views: 279
  • Lone Star Loop Segment 2 Rev-1a.gdb
    546.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Lone Star Loop Segment 3a.gdb
    382.5 KB · Views: 224
Back