• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heart of Texas Adv Ride

Brother. I got a new home computer and I willing to give it a try. Wish me luck.

How'd you hear about my latest? I tell ya. That one was interesting to say the least. Yup. Healing continues. Getting the Big Ugly bike back together. She's been on her back more times than a ....wait. Almost forgot where I was. ;) might be riding tomorrow.

BTW. I blew up that new Karoo3 in less than 1000 miles and we are having heck getting the new rear on. It came squashed from Chapharral and we can't get the bead to seat . Tried everything we can think off except taking it back off and putting something in there to spread it out and let it sit in the sun.

This file can not be read it uses a subsequent file version
This program can read MPS and GDB files version 2 and below.
Wrong file?
Lets try MapSource software version 6.16.3

we have a whiner, er winner.
I already have some old map source. Does any one know if I can load my topo files into my NUVI 1300, if so just how do I do that and do I have enough memory? :ponder: Ok so with the new update I can down load my topo maps, now how do I find them?

Wrong file?
Lets try MapSource software version 6.16.3

we have a whiner, er winner.
I already have some old map source. Does any one know if I can load my topo files into my NUVI 1300, if so just how do I do that and do I have enough memory? :ponder: Ok so with the new update I can down load my topo maps, now how do I find them?

I have a Nuvi 1490 & I loaded Germany in it just like I load the topo in my 60scx. If you have the chip space, yes.

Using Map Image for tracks

Thought I would share this with you guys. If you have a GPS that will not let you follow a track, like the Nuvi 500, you can use a software called GPX2IMG to make a transparent map image from a GPX file of a track. Upload this map image to your GPS and use it as one of the active maps. Basically this is a transparent overlay that only shows the track. This lets you create a route in MapSource or BaseCamp and follow that route while you are riding. But the tracks will always be displayed at the same time. So you see if the auto route is taking you off the intended track. Also this does not impact the number of way points allowed by the GPS unit for a route.

This is a trick that BigDog shared with me. I have a Nuvi 500 as well and it works well on that unit.

I also have a Montana 600. The Montana will display a track and follow a route at the same time without needing to do the "trick" I describe above.

Here is the link to GPX2IMG software. Very easy to use.
http://www.gpx2img.com/
I did this with the free trial version. But $20 bucks is very cheap to have full capability.

I thought this might help you guys when trying to go places where the road is not on the Garmin map. Using this for this project will allow you to work using tracks. And those who do not have GPS units that will allow them to follow a track can create a map image for this purpose.

Making a route In MapSource

Another trick that may help others. When making a route in MApSource, the auto route feature goes wacky if you try to make the route go though and area where there is no road shown on the Garmine map. I have seen this sometimes where there is something like a low water crossing or some two track that will connect two roads. What will work is:

- With auto route tuned on, create the route up to the point where there is still road shown on the GArmine map.
- Without leaving your route creation session, click on the "Edit" option of the main MapSource menu.
- Click on "Preferences"
- Click on "Routing" tab
- Under Route Style, choose "Use Direct Routing" .
- Click on "Apply"

Now you can continue your route creation by adding points to the area where there is no road shown. The route will be a strait line between points. Once you are back on a road that is shown in the Garmin map, go back and change back to "Use Auto Routing" in the Preferences. Just reverse what you did as shown above.

Now you can continue your routing with auto route.

I just got the info from Big Dog also and I also have a Nuvi 500. Loads to the gps and works until I zoom in and it disappears. I have tried straight to the gps and micro sd card. I am stumped.

Humm...... When I tried it out on my Nuvi 500, I don't think I tried to zoom in. So I will not be of help on this. If I get a chance I will try it.

Calvin , I was just about to call you when you came by. Your Frankin-Bike look's really good I can't believe it's taller than my XRL , you should post up pics so fellow TWT member's can see it. :rider: Its one of the best looking Off-Road Versys 650's I seen. :thumb:

Thanks Steve.

Last edited:
I started this thread in 3-01-2013. :rider:

Its not complete but almost. Update: Now complete. 4-11-2019

Tracks posted in posts 1. I used BaseCamp. :rider:

Go ride!

Last edited:
Back