• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda Reflex won't fire up

Reaction score
After 9 month in storage (with stabilizer in tank) my Reflex won't fire up.

Carburetor is hard to open.

Fuel runs.

Any advise?

If it turns over, the automatic choke may be stuck.

Welcome to the site. Don’t be offended by these clowns – they’re really not a bad bunch. But how about a little more serious answer? Assuming that is was running nine months ago and that nothing internal has really changed, you come down to the three basic requirements to run: fuel, air, and spark. I don't know any specifics about the Reflex, but these things are pretty standard.

Stabilizer or not, I would flush the fuel system. Pay special attention to the carb. Stabilizer in the tank does nothing for fuel in the float bowl and I have seen jets gummed up and varnished from old fuel. Pilot jets can be quite small, so they're easy to clog. I don't know if you have a real choke or an enrichment circuit, but check the function of either. If the carb has a diaphragm, check for holes or tears. Clean the carb. Remove the jets and look through them. Are they unobstructed? If not, then clean them. Is the inlet valve stuck in its seat after sitting for nine months? You said you have good fuel flow, but you didn’t specify to where. Fuel to the carb won't do any good if it doesn't get through the jets.

Check the air filter and the air box in general. It's not uncommon to find that creatures have taken up residence in the air box. I found one with no unwanted residents, but completely full of acorns and pecans. Apparently a local squirrel was using it to cache some goodies. While you're there, make sure everything post-filter is sealed up tight.

Check for spark. The usual method is to remove the plug, ground it against the engine, and give it a whirl. A few caveats are in order though. Don’t hold it in your hand while trying this – it can give you a pretty serious jolt. Some electronic ignition systems can be damaged if the plug isn’t well grounded, so be sure you know what you’re doing when you do this: you could do more harm than good. It still won’t tell you if the plug is bad or if the spark is weak, but I’ve been known to just attach a timing light to the sparkplug wire as a first cut. If the timing light flashes, I know I have at least some spark getting to the plug.

All of this is pretty easy and pretty basic stuff. I don’t mean to insult you, but from what you said I’m assuming that you don’t have a lot of mechanical background, experience, or skill. I’ve given you some pretty basic stuff to check. If you don’t find something fairly obvious when you do this stuff, I would strongly suggest enlisting the aid of a more experienced friend or getting yourself and your bike to a real mechanic.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the site. Don’t be offended by these clowns – they’re really not a bad bunch. But how about a little more serious answer? Assuming that is was running nine months ago and that nothing internal has really changed, you come down to the three basic requirements to run: fuel, air, and spark. I don't know any specifics about the Reflex, but these things are pretty standard.

Stabilizer or not, I would flush the fuel system. Pay special attention to the carb. Stabilizer in the tank does nothing for fuel in the float bowl and I have seen jets gummed up and varnished from old fuel. Pilot jets can be quite small, so they're easy to clog. I don't know if you have a real choke or an enrichment circuit, but check the function of either. If the carb has a diaphragm, check for holes or tears. Clean the carb. Remove the jets and look through them. Are they unobstructed? If not, then clean them. Is the inlet valve stuck in its seat after sitting for nine months? You said you have good fuel flow, but you didn’t specify to where. Fuel to the carb won't do any good if it doesn't get through the jets.

Check the air filter and the air box in general. It's not uncommon to find that creatures have taken up residence in the air box. I found one with no unwanted residents, but completely full of acorns and pecans. Apparently a local squirrel was using it to cache some goodies. While you're there, make sure everything post-filter is sealed up tight.

Check for spark. The usual method is to remove the plug, ground it against the engine, and give it a whirl. A few caveats are in order though. Don’t hold it in your hand while trying this – it can give you a pretty serious jolt. Some electronic ignition systems can be damaged if the plug isn’t well grounded, so be sure you know what you’re doing when you do this: you could do more harm than good. It still won’t tell you if the plug is bad or if the spark is weak, but I’ve been known to just attach a timing light to the sparkplug wire as a first cut. If the timing light flashes, I know I have at least some spark getting to the plug.

All of this is pretty easy and pretty basic stuff. I don’t mean to insult you, but from what you said I’m assuming that you don’t have a lot of mechanical background, experience, or skill. I’ve given you some pretty basic stuff to check. If you don’t find something fairly obvious when you do this stuff, I would strongly suggest enlisting the aid of a more experienced friend or getting yourself and your bike to a real mechanic.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, my answer was serious. I own a Reflex scooter and needed to find out if it turned over. These things are loaded with 'safety' features. If the side stand is down, it won't turn over, if the cut off switch is off-ditto, rear brake lever switch lose-ditto, if it turns over-probably an empty carb bowl, if no fire at all. If turns over and 'tries' to start, choke problems. Vacuum supplied fuel-no external fuel valve.

Last edited:
Sorry, my answer was serious. I own a Reflex scooter and needed to find out if it turned over. These things are loaded with 'safety' features. If the side stand is down, it won't turn over, if the cut off switch is off-ditto, rear brake lever switch lose-ditto, if it turns over-probably an empty carb bowl, if no fire at all. If turns over and 'tries' to start, choke problems. Vacuum supplied fuel-no external fuel valve.

I know yours was serious. It's the "give it to me", and "just shoot it" that I was referring to. Legitimate answers yes, but not exactly helpful. Come on guys, this was his first post. Can't we be nice to him at least until his post count makes it to double digits? Then we can pick on him mercilessly. But it isn't asking too much to give a noob a break is it?

I would also go with the new fuel approach. Even though it had stabil in it, it's probably time for a fresh batch for it to run on. That, new plugs, and a battery charge and you should be good to go. But if that doesn't work, then it's time for a carb clean.

I know yours was serious. It's the "give it to me", and "just shoot it" that I was referring to. Legitimate answers yes, but not exactly helpful. Come on guys, this was his first post. Can't we be nice to him at least until his post count makes it to double digits? Then we can pick on him mercilessly. But it isn't asking too much to give a noob a break is it?

Are we now accountable to you for what we choose to post? Was what I posted "mean spirited"? I don't think so. Flip, yes, mean, not hardly. So is that the offical rule then, double digit posts before anyone can post something that isn't nice? Who is the judge by the way? Some of us two wheeled texans are smart a**es, just the way it is. Meant no harm and other than you, don't see where I caused any? Hijack over...

No, no, no...

Why did I even say anything?

I just noticed that it was the guy's first post and he couldn't even get a straight answer. Now everybody is taking offense at anything I say.

No, no, no...

Why did I even say anything?

I just noticed that it was the guy's first post and he couldn't even get a straight answer. Now everybody is taking offense at anything I say.

Offense is probably a bit strong... mildly miffed is probably closer. He will survive and it looks as though he is getting the information he needs while only having to sort through a small bit of BS from us Clowns (final dig I promise). Don't sweat it... it ain't no thing......

is it the scooter? I own a honda reflex and it is a trials bike. If it is the trials bike put it in 3 gear and push it it will fire.

is it the scooter? I own a honda reflex and it is a trials bike. If it is the trials bike put it in 3 gear and push it it will fire.
It is a scooter of which I speak, although I have been the fortunate owner of both types. (Trophied in the Texas State Trials-Novice class on the street legal TLR. On the easier sectiones I would use the turn signals to signal my intentions):rider:

My problem is how to take off the carb. Hard to reach.
Have u done it before?

Back