• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

**New** Michelin Pilot Road 3

I was on motorcycle superstore about two weeks ago and they were listed on "sale" and we're a bit cheaper than PR3s.

Even Michelin says they are not any better in the dry. I do ride in the rain when it happens to to around here so I'm kinda torn right now between saving 50 bucks IIRC per tire or having a better rain tire. Especially with how few times a year it actually does rain around here.

Sent from my iPhone

PR2s are always cheaper then PR3s as of late soooo same price as before I assume! ;) I don't ride in the rain either but during our vacations if it rains we usually keep going so nothing less then PR2s for me even though one of the guys going with us is running D404s on his Honda Cruiser and he was fine last year as well sooooooo who knows! :rider:

I'll take back what I said earlier :P

On the rear tire on motorcyclesuperstore.com there is a 20 dollar difference in a 180 rear and a 20 dollar on the front 120. So 40 dollar difference on a set of tires. That's probably close enough for me to give them a shot and see what happens :)

I just ordered a set for my GSXR 600, so far i have heard nuthing but good about them. They are in transit right now! Cant wait to get em. Hate Hate Hate the tires i bought it with, up front is a Battleaxe and out back is a Michelin Power Pure.....scared to death of getting caught in the rain with that back tire.

My new ones should be here friday!

Chris

Don't get over confident because both the PR2 & PR3 will get greasy, especially on a sportbike (or Bandit 1250).

But, I won't run anything else on the street - PR2 - waiting till this set wear out before trying the PR3s. I expect that in another 7,000 miles or so :lol2:

Greasy!? Confused what you mean...

they (Road2) will slip and slide in the summer when riding "spirited" in the heat. To me it's nothing bad and always predictable. The same goes for the Road3.

The torque of the Bandit 1250 makes it seem worse but like I said it's after they get really hot.

Really!? Are we talking extreme heat here? Me still being a somewhat new rider I don't really push on the bike that much so probably why I don't notice it! :)

PS: Do you check your air pressure right before the ride and run exactly 36/42 or higher!? When its cooler I tend to put a smidgen more before pulling out of the garage and in the hot summer I do it exactly 36/42 so just curious maybe you run more pressure and the Georgia heat makes it happen more obviously then up here?

I use 3/4 full range of the throttle when riding "spirited" and with something like 70# of torque at 2,000 rpm it adds up fast.

I always check my air pressure before every ride and usually when I get to my riding area (60-mile slab commute to get there). I usually run 42/44 commuting, 36-38/40 mountains, and 36/37-38 on the track. I also check hot temps too and subtract 2. The tires will get greasy every time I ride The Cherohala Skyway but that road is something like 45 miles of nothing but twisties :) - really good twisties :rider:

Yeah you defiantly ride a lot harder then me! :) Is the Skyway on the way to the Dragon? I think we rode that when we stayed in Maggie Valley NC and we were told of a "nicer" ride to The Dragon and from how you describe it might have been it. Felt like a semi warmup for the Dragon which btw freaked me the f' out! :eek2:

Yeah, the Cherry Cola goes between Tellico Plains, TN and Robbinsville, NC. I am not fond of the Dragon but I can tolerate it on weekdays as long as there is a buddy in front and we have our bluetooths synced. We take turns leading of course because the spotter....um I mean the lead rider goes a little slower.

Last June was our 1st time to the Dragon we got there around 10 am on a Friday I guess right before the rush! I'll be down there come this June if you'd send me some other cool riding roads in the area that would be great! :) I'll be in Adairsville, GA if that matters!

my pr3 will be in the next few days..

I only got 12k out of the PR2.. I think I need my $$ back on them..lol

I had PR2s on the FJR when I first got it, iirc, and I put at least 14k on them. Then I put some Bridgestone BTsomethingwhatevers, and those tires were dead and gone in less than 10k of easy riding. Unacceptable. We'll see how the PR3s do.

Visit tailofthedragon.com and you can find maps of some pretty good roads farther north of what I normally ride (so you can get them on the way down).

A normal summer run for me includes most of:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206310663537219376072.0004b78490ab097f7a5c6&msa=0

We attempt to make a large loop out of most of these roads but there usually are only a couple of left riding after 12-hours :). Except for the slab trip to Clayton GA, the 20 boring miles on NC28, and a section of TN68 it is all twisties.

Give me a shout out when you come.

Had a front PR3 sitting in the garage for 4 months now waiting on the Anakee thats on my Vstrom to wear out. Amazingly enough that thing has out lasted 1 Anakee rear and TWO PR 2 rears! :eek2: I don't think I've ever got 8K miles out of any front tire before. Too bad the rears don't even last 2K miles.

My front is going before my rear but I don't ride the throttle hard all the time so might be part of the problem! :rofl:

My front is going before my rear but I don't ride the throttle hard all the time so might be part of the problem! :rofl:

Weight has a lot to do with it. I wear out front tires on my Busa quicker then rears. Bandit probably weighs in about the same. I run Pilot Powers on the front and Roads on the rear.

Weight has a lot to do with it. I wear out front tires on my Busa quicker then rears. Bandit probably weighs in about the same. I run Pilot Powers on the front and Roads on the rear.

True but you run powers up front. They don't last long at all from what I hear! ;)

I have noticed the PR3s slip a little but in the cold mornings before the tires warm up.

True but you run powers up front. They don't last long at all from what I hear! ;)

They last almost as long as Road's do, and are quicker turning then the Roads. One of my favorite setups on my R1's was a PR2 on the rear and Power on front. With that setup on the R1, the front would last a little longer then a rear, say 2500 for the rear and 3000 for the front. On the Busa it's around 2500 for the rear and 2K for the front.

Back