• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

RIDE TO EAT: October meet @ greet @ eat with a ride on the side

Plannin ta leave the Stripes by my place....
Hwy 6 & FM185 by 9am & take a fairly direct but nice pavement route thru the Gap to Hico ..then up 2481 to Bluff Dale
Plenty of time after lunch for some skinny pavement....

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I've decided, if I go, to take the shortest route north. So don't wait for me. I'd be up for skinny pavement near the area and south after breakfast. :rider:

Edit: Yes, lunch haha

Last edited:
Today's dumb thing...germs. [emoji33]

Sacrifice a burger on my behalf, good people. [emoji488]

Couldn't sleep well so I'm out. Have fun guys!

I'm just now leaving Elgin. :doh:

I'll be late, but I'm still coming. Even if everyone is gone, I'm getting this last ride in. Plus it looks gorgeous outside!

Well, that was an adventure I could have done without.

I'll write it up when I get back from delivering mini-munchkins to their parents.

Was on my way to meet up with Rod for the ride out. Got to McGregor on fumes so I grabbed a quick tank of gas and...nothing. :shock: Wendy won't start.
Walked her over to the parking lot to check. You could hear the fuel pump spool up but when you tap the magic button there's a click and the gauges die. :brainsnap
Ok, time for a little road-side repair time. Pulled the seat and realized all my tools were at the house since the last time I lubed the chain. :doh:

Reseated the ignition fuse, same thing. Replaced with a spare, same. Did a "bad thing" and used a spare 15A fuse for the 10A it needed, still nothing.
And during each of these there would be a click and the gauges would die. That includes resetting the clock. After the last time the pump didn't spin up.

Called the wife to come save me. Told her where the jumper cables and my tools were. Being the extra she always is, she also brought my multi-meter.
And after she told the wee ones that Opa was stuck, they chanted that to her most of the way over. :rofl:

Hooked up the jumpers and it kicked right over. So I'm looking at a low or dead battery at least.
Hopped on and started towards the house. Going thru town was fine but when I got up near cruising speed on the other side of town, the gauges started flickering, blinking the fading out just before the bike started sputtering. Once the speed dropped a little it started to run again.
With trial-and-error testing I found that if I kept it running between 3500 to 3800 rpm it would continue to work. If I ran at 4000 too long the gauges faded and it sputtered. If I ran below 3500 the gauges would go nuts and the ride got rough. And some roads themselves were rough and the gauges would go nuts then even if I kept everything stable.

I was able to nurse it home at about 45mph with the wife right behind me the whole way with her flashers going trying to ride herd on two very bored little girls.
Now I get to check the battery, regulator and alternator along with going thru all the fuses and connections to make sure the flickering on rough roads isn't a flaky connection.
Ah well. Another test of my poor maintenance skills...before and after.

Sorry I couldn't make it KP but this one caught me out.

Last edited:
Nice to see some old friends and meet some new ones today.

Doug, thanks for letting us try to chase you on 51. That was fun. You're fast.

Chaveskii, nice to meet and ride back with you. That was fun. Hope you made it home safe. You put in some serious miles today.

If you want to come down another weekend, I can take you out on a longer dirt ride if you'd like. There are still some decent dirt roads around here.

Couple of pics from today:

44332919-180574472852368-1850800011705581568-n.jpg

44471202-334647593964008-7325394407857848320-n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was on my way to meet up with Rod for the ride out. Got to McGregor on fumes so I grabbed a quick tank of gas and...nothing. :shock: Wendy won't start.
Walked her over to the parking lot to check. You could hear the fuel pump spool up but when you tap the magic button there's a click and the gauges die. :brainsnap
Ok, time for a little road-side repair time. Pulled the seat and realized all my tools were at the house since the last time I lubed the chain. :doh:

Reseated the ignition fuse, same thing. Replaced with a spare, same. Did a "bad thing" and used a spare 15A fuse for the 10A it needed, still nothing.
And during each of these there would be a click and the gauges would die. That includes resetting the clock. After the last time the pump didn't spin up.

Called the wife to come save me. Told her where the jumper cables and my tools were. Being the extra she always is, she also brought my multi-meter.
And after she told the wee ones that Opa was stuck, they chanted that to her most of the way over. :rofl:

Hooked up the jumpers and it kicked right over. So I'm looking at a low or dead battery at least.
Hopped on and started towards the house. Going thru town was fine but when I got up near cruising speed on the other side of town, the gauges started flickering, blinking the fading out just before the bike started sputtering. Once the speed dropped a little it started to run again.
With trial-and-error testing I found that if I kept it running between 3500 to 3800 rpm it would continue to work. If I ran at 4000 too long the gauges faded and it sputtered. If I ran below 3500 the gauges would go nuts and the ride got rough. And some roads themselves were rough and the gauges would go nuts then even if I kept everything stable.

I was able to nurse it home at about 45mph with the wife right behind me the whole way with her flashers going trying to ride herd on two very bored little girls.
Now I get to check the battery, regulator and alternator along with going thru all the fuses and connections to make sure the flickering on rough roads isn't a flaky connection.

I had a kinda similar situation several years back...on my TDM850 down by Leakey on 336
Cept it was more of a higher rpm thing. Long as I kept it down just above idle..it would run fine. The guages acted weird too.
Made it into Leakey...to the Auto parts store...thinkin...yeah...dead battery
So I checked to make sure they had one..at least close to fitting. Took off the tank...(yeah...battery under tank! Thanx Yamaha) & began to unhook the cables.......The + cable was loose!!
Tightened it up...put on the tank...&...voila!
We have ignition....all guages working fine.
Thanked the parts store guys for the help...& went on my way....
Hope yours is that easy Carl

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Strom?

I seem to recall Stroms having a questionable ground under the tank.
Some coating covers the blind nut.

Remove the braided lugs, sand the mounting surface, slather with dielectric grease and refit.

Cables felt tight but I'll clean/scuff them on general principle.
And the painted ground is a good call. A past bike had it and...hmm...

Doug, thanks for letting us try to chase you on 51. That was fun. You're fast.

Should have come down FM 203 as well. I love going down FM 51 been doing it over 35 yrs. I was just going fast in the curves slow in the straight parts. Had fun. Nice to meet you today, sir.

Should have come down FM 203 as well. I love going down FM 51 been doing it over 35 yrs. I was just going fast in the curves slow in the straight parts. Had fun. Nice to meet you today, sir.

Nice to meet you as well.

And thanks for slowing down in the straightaways so we could catch up :)

I was on a little bike, always fun. It was just a great day to ride. Mitch got me 3 water crossings or so on the way home. I knew he would help me out.

Yesterdays ride was just about as good as it gets. Could have used a little less wind maybe.

Sorry I was too late to ride with you all. Hopefully I'll heal up quick.

That hamburger was one of the best I've had in a while. I had the 310 to jasper.

Anyways, see out there in 4 months.

Yesterdays ride was just about as good as it gets. Could have used a little less wind maybe.

Sorry I was too late to ride with you all. Hopefully I'll heal up quick.

That hamburger was one of the best I've had in a while. I had the 310 to jasper.

Anyways, see out there in 4 months.

What time did you get there? I didn't remember seeing another AT in the parking lot. Was hoping to meet you.

What time did you get there? I didn't remember seeing another AT in the parking lot. Was hoping to meet you.

I got there just in time to see you all gear up. Said high to a couple of guys and that was it.

I was hoping to ride too, but I was hungry!

What a beautiful day to ride and meet up. Thanks for ordering up the great weather KP. I left a little too late to meet up with Rod and so rode solo up Hwy 281. Had a little extra time to explore the delightful CR 156 southeast out of Morgan Mill. The lunch was tasty and conversation as always entertaining. Before I knew it I was following Gene on hos Wing back south to Walnut Springs where I cut over to The Gap and a fantastic tailwind back to Austin. 365 miles for the day and home by 4:00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you again, Slim. Always a pleasure ...

I was on a little bike, always fun. It was just a great day to ride. Mitch got me 3 water crossings or so on the way home. I knew he would help me out.

Only way I can keep up ... I may be old, but I'm slow.

Last edited:

Let us know if you get it figured out. Sad that it happened on such a wonderful day with no rain. Call next time and we will come to the rescue.

280 miles straight there on the morning but a killer back road ride with Mr2mch all over the territory. Had some gravel and low water crossings and plenty of twist FM roads. Not sure where all we were but it was loads of fun. If you have never had a after ride with the ride guru you do not know what you are missing! Good burger and even better company. It was nice to visit with folks and catch up some. TJ and duchess rode over for a slice of pie and beverages at the Pie peddler. I had buttermilk which was good will have to check them out next time I am in the area. See you all next month. Again thanks to all 28 of you folks that showed up for lunch.

Last edited:
I got there just in time to see you all gear up. Said high to a couple of guys and that was it.

I was hoping to ride too, but I was hungry!

I must have already left by then. I had to scoot a little earlier than the big bunch.

Wanted to stick around and ride more, but home duties called.

Back