• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BiLT Modular Bluetooth Helmet

Dutch

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
My review of the BILT Modular Helmet with Bluetooth.

Purchased this at cycle gear here in Killeen about 2 weeks ago. They had two different modular bluetooth models available one model for $179.00 and one for $219.00. The $179.00 model sizes did not fit all that well of course the more expensive ones did go figure. I normally wear a medium sized Helmet but for these models I ended up with a 2XL size for correct fit. Overall build quality is pretty good. It’s not a SHOEI or an Arai but for what it is it’s pretty good. I ride a 2014 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure with Stock Exhaust however I’m running Heidenau K60 Scout Tires anyone familiar with those on a big heavy bike, is they are loud on pavement. There’s an internal sun visor that drops and several vents that can be closed up.

Music quality is OK up to about 75 I’m good with that.

The one phone call I made everything worked as advertised.

I charged it when I first purchased the helmet and have about 3 hours riding time with it so far it’s still saying full charge when turned on.

As of right now, would I recommend this Helmet to someone I’d say yes, however that may change the longer I own it.

Attachments

• IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
That looks almost exactly like my Bilt Full Face helmet that I got from a member here. I have to say, it is a nice helmet - I love the bilt in sun-visor in my helmet too (nudge nudge see what I did there?)

I've been looking at Bluetooth helmets recently, and this one certainly did catch my interest as well - I just need to get up off my butt and buy it. :lol2:

I've always been a little leary of their products because they have received poor marks in protection from wind noise.... Do you have any other helmets to use as a comparison for wind noise?

Not really, I have an HJC but it's not a full face, For the amount of money I have vested in the helmet it does OK. Having never worn a full-face or modular for that matter I have nothing to compare to. I'm happy with it so far.

I bought a BiLT modular with blue tooth about a year ago. Apollo, maybe. Piece of junk, and I'm not a CG hater. Just the opposite. Lots of wind noise. Weird pressure point on my forehead. And the BT didn't work with any of three phones on two providers. CG took it back and I used that to buy other gear there.

When I purchased mine, they had two different models to choose from. The lower end model none of the sizes fit right, I wear a Medium and even their 2XL size fit tight. the more expensive model fit perfect go figure. I haven't had any issues with mine as of yet, The Blue tooth works as advertised. As with anything mass produced it's a roll of the dice on quality and reliability.

Question about sound quality. I'm pretty freaky about getting good, HQ sound. How does music quality stack up to, say, wearing a nice set of ear buds that are held into your ears by helmet pressure?

Question about sound quality. I'm pretty freaky about getting good, HQ sound. How does music quality stack up to, say, wearing a nice set of ear buds that are held into your ears by helmet pressure?

I can't comment directly on this particular helmet, but I've been playing with various in-helmet audio arrangements for a while now.
For my road helmet (HJC Modular), I have the Scala Rider but I cut the original speakers off. I've soldered in a couple different higher quality drivers to try. Currently, I have some drivers I ripped out of a pair of Beats headphones in there. They sound OK, but like all the other speakers I've tried, they lack any sort of bottom end punch.

Using speakers in a helmet, I seriously don't think you'll ever come close to the audio quality that you'll get from ear buds in a helmet. The only plus is convenience and possibly comfort.

I run Heidenau Scout Tires on my BMW, anyone that uses these tires know they sing and are loud when going down the road. With my Helmet Sound Quality is good up to 70mph. So far I'm satisfied with what I have. The Blue tooth works great with my I phone 6 in a ram mount. Haven't had any issues with it.

I purchased the Evolution modular helmets along with the Sena SMH10 system for the wife and I. The helmets seems comfortable and not much wind noise at all. The helmet fits better than ones I have purchased in the past. I also bought the 5 pin plug for the Ultra which lets me use the 3.5 plug feature for the radio from the ultra. I like the set up. It allows the wife and I to talk whether we are on the same bike or if she is on her spyder.

I can't comment directly on this particular helmet, but I've been playing with various in-helmet audio arrangements for a while now.
For my road helmet (HJC Modular), I have the Scala Rider but I cut the original speakers off. I've soldered in a couple different higher quality drivers to try. Currently, I have some drivers I ripped out of a pair of Beats headphones in there. They sound OK, but like all the other speakers I've tried, they lack any sort of bottom end punch.

Using speakers in a helmet, I seriously don't think you'll ever come close to the audio quality that you'll get from ear buds in a helmet. The only plus is convenience and possibly comfort.
Try the Uclear drivers - very very nice. CG sells them.
As far as the Bilts - I wasn't that impressed with fit (feels loose), took it down the highway and they are in fact noisy just as reported by WebBikeWorld. One of the guys at the store confessed he was given one and threw it away after a friend got a concussion from a 30 mph laydown.

I just bought a non-BT Bilt full face. It doesn't seem to be any louder than the HJC or KBC helmets I've worn in the past. I use plugs or buds now, so it isn't an issue. The trip 2 weeks ago was the test run for LG Tones. The buds killed the air noise, and the music quality was excellent. I didn't try the phone while riding due to gloves. It did work clearly with the collar unit under a leather jacket while stopped. Next on the to-do list is get an iPhone mount and some sort of control that will work with gloves for music and phone control capabilities. I have to have the ear protection cause years of doing without left a ringing in my brain, cause I thought I heard her saying good girls don't..... Wait, that was a song:mrgreen:

Try the Uclear drivers - very very nice. CG sells them.
As far as the Bilts - I wasn't that impressed with fit (feels loose), took it down the highway and they are in fact noisy just as reported by WebBikeWorld. One of the guys at the store confessed he was given one and threw it away after a friend got a concussion from a 30 mph laydown.

To each his /her own.

I've got sena 20s and it sounds worlds better w/ ear buds. I just haven't found a good set of earbuds that stay in comfortably while I put on my helmet.

After using buds in the past, they have better sound. The Sena system I have is ok for me. I normally have to turn the sound down some. Still not like buds. After 3-4 day trips, my ears would be sore and trying to keep the buds in was a pain. So, with that, I bought the Sena setup. I was going to check into custom buds, they are not cheap. Our company made custom earplugs from ShooterPlugs for hearing protection available and purchased them for us. They are real comfortable. They first take an impression mold, then make them. That same company has custom buds also. You might check out the following, ShooterPlugs.com. The owner was at the Ft Worth gun show and I did get to look at them first hand. Again, they are not cheap.

Back