• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Eclipse Trip Aug 21

Wow, I didn't realize the following this has. Safe travels to you guys/gals.

I won't be two wheelin it. Took the kiddos out of school for this one.
It just so happens that the closest point from us is the very Southern tip of Illinois just S. Of Carbondale. Wouldn't luck have it that this is the point of longest eclipse at 2 min and 4? Seconds.
I'm a Southerner so I will be careful to not spend a dime in Illinois.
For past eclipses I have always used my welding goggles. You can pickup some cheap ones at harbor freight.
Attached is a map of Solar track.

Enjoy everyone !

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 139
Cloud cover forecast??

Looking for a good place for forecasting cloud cover on Eclipse Day. I plan to use this site unless someone has a better one. I will be on the bike Sunday and Monday so will have a lot of freedom of movement to find a clear sky.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx

The Weather Channel said just 2% for central Nebraska, yesterday. I just use the satellite view on Weather Bug to see the cloud cover and will go someplace it's not. That's the plan anyway. Hope to be around Geneva, Nebraska.

Last edited:
A friend of mine, a producer in Nashville, PMed me that "100s of thousands of people expected to converge on Nashville and its environs." Also, the crowds are expected to be great enough that one area police department posted this information for the locals:

• Do not plan on going anywhere by car. At least 1.5 million people are expected for Nashville and North ................ Countless people will also try to drive along the path of the eclipse.
  • Fill your gas tanks and complete your grocery shopping no later than this Friday. Make sure on Monday your cell phones are fully charged. And speaking of cell phones, be prepared for cell phone networks to crash as hundreds of thousands of additional try to connect at the same time for selfies and videos of the eclipse.
  • Same prep-ahead for prescriptions.
  • Some utility companies have pointed out that their systems are not prepared to go full-load in the middle of the day, so be prepared for outages.
Eclipse-geddon, anybody? :eek2:

W2K? :lol:

It's supposed to be hot here and NC is the second highest solar energy producer in the US. Could be interesting.

I'm ready. I have 10 gallons of milk, 2 doz loaves of bread, 3 cases of water, 3 doz eggs, and a 1/2 gallon of Blue Bell.

Last edited:
W2K? :lol:

It's supposed to be hot here and NC is the second highest solar energy producer in the US. Could be interesting.

I'm ready. I have 10 gallons of milk, 2 doz loaves of bread, 3 cases of water, 3 doz eggs, and a 1/2 gallon of Blue Bell.

Not near enough Blue Bell.

A friend of mine, a producer in Nashville, PMed me that "100s of thousands of people expected to converge on Nashville and its environs." Also, the crowds are expected to be great enough that one area police department posted this information for the locals:

• Do not plan on going anywhere by car. At least 1.5 million people are expected for Nashville and North ................ Countless people will also try to drive along the path of the eclipse.
  • Fill your gas tanks and complete your grocery shopping no later than this Friday. Make sure on Monday your cell phones are fully charged. And speaking of cell phones, be prepared for cell phone networks to crash as hundreds of thousands of additional try to connect at the same time for selfies and videos of the eclipse.
  • Same prep-ahead for prescriptions.
  • Some utility companies have pointed out that their systems are not prepared to go full-load in the middle of the day, so be prepared for outages.
Eclipse-geddon, anybody? :eek2:

That is exactly one reason we canceled our run to Missouri, along with my friend is a school bus driver and had to start earlier. It will be a circus. We will watch the 3/4 in Texas with our eclipse glasses.

The Weather Channel said just 2% for central Nebraska, yesterday. I just use the satellite view on Weather Bug to see the cloud cover and will go someplace it's not. That's the plan anyway. Hope to be around Geneva, Nebraska.

Sounds like a good plan. These forecast will be changing so it is still hard to tell where is good.

https://www.weather.gov/pqr/eclipse

The above forecast 44-54% cloud cover at 1:PM on the 21st for S. Central Nebraska. That will change. For now, I will stick to my plan to be in E. Central Missouri and it's current forecast of 53% sky cover. That could change too!

You guys have fun, this was yesterday at a viewing spot!

Attachments

• 20934880_1448717005182599_1453199699487508732_o.jpg
    20934880_1448717005182599_1453199699487508732_o.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 165
$ driven. Zeus is at it again. What is supposed to reflect the light giver is trying to block it, for a time. This shot was said to be taken on Saturn Day. The day before Sun Day the day before Moon Day. :)

Last edited:
Solar Eclipse Bread. Only $15/loaf. :D
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon. :lol2: (ok, it's just zucchini bread I whipped up this morning.)

3k9GauZrX5GLD8yB9Z1LmEFSfbO-bvuEQB1zQzYFCQjxQWgUTvi3LgR7JuM4f2fXLldW4HCxhzq22i1ejBV27Tfzx03p6pZyJjyKfE2GJxLhrP3Jg3QrkcMChyucOfMmKlqg3z02sHQeqRkyjQdXF2eoDJwfpItNGaDFFBO6SkkY7c6J7hDyUAl3ojSBXZK4nI-GrHsxBLehDqgkYU-k8TIQFJULIjTG_PI6ouKD1nx3vM-VVlrOy123_yQGJIgvmVRGuOEAYdvzsfnwDfhbs02x_EYp99p-Hv-RXGY6fUm5DL5TGTUcL2tcRdsHn5FnldaKuBGpYJ4nMOHzkRDLfuzKifSM0UyowEckCzZ21wv8FSPq1YbhxVStu5NT8QS6assILwuNQaFta-BiQ-AQPsKNXDLI2o3dlaIC2oC9949JIUUFnV1mHQmENqZkw8GL66l0VaDspLMt0VM5DaNFOhl_-P66wIGv7VfxJztpLUENodZy2DT6TD9npV_iHHRiKpLLHxOjMwnt5OtqMrDe5BAJK2taSeIzIUpcUZ5uNe6yBMZbjG7Wn3ArZB7vcA2qRwx2dvfe_j2NesenBok2tH4lPqeEZ3oEIVDcoSTD46smr_NEH1E1Pg=w1048-h589-no

#5 might be a good point today.

Attachments

• DHwMvyCV0AAhBBa.jpg
    DHwMvyCV0AAhBBa.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 156
We went to Hooker Falls, NC. Hardly any crowd to speak of. 38 seconds of totality. It was nip and tuck as to whether or not the clouds were going to block us out. Some of the phases are darker orange because of the cloud cover.

9Gin0CSzBHYznXKQyXUDhbtGLIOf4HY50E9lvBxMS8nVjkdxcl8SsjGtlnvycxBLrXdBApLAC7jlWjmLm0=w1431-h950-no.png

GZGHjhsTC0StAqaeRiq8QEJVABOfwNJ0FWbGWbMQnWQ1zEUfzaqKRrpf-nikeEnVXo7euHOHPay731XjBugPEo4Wg6axGvGpO9nc-0EpbNNe3i8fvUw2joKlTd1yGpHoWDkMgFe8ddcVwypPQOWD8Sq9FlrlUbtxt2tagDvIl6jNm7DsRYw9fr5SuCdsmRgg0gAMWGgXhKtXPYX53QcKET7NgdgZza0gO6unBbqEa0CVuYHi_dJIaaJkkNKxiwfF_dPKR0bKAILOgyZAFhykzvLedWI9NRYWOnbGIXlKOdAQ6f7LK1W22M-5SF4XYNNhRNaR19U_aWI5cWyyXc1OsHL6LERs55VNOF2hMelkOa4hqQ73joOaGscGjH6KPOIkUG1Y3KGemYFU2aHusPSXrWf4Ha9yKQluHCJJXF9u1grjhUVSTv3RMU6znSdLasqAXDtr7okqjJ3On18_z4pJA0qsrp5ceeWddmjIQE8Abn2fW6WWyGeOd3d4FIXQrhBxX_rHK3JQOJe3i_Q01_LBczyr50RbUP9oPkfro73NkG5vXipnuRPW0MnAK6AU2zgutvORBQhq1WDTppmK67R2Q3rD71GnswD-fwwGdZ6MJKSBWgWCEMeI7A=w886-h820-no

Me and my two youngest left from Houston Friday. pulled the travel trailer up to Missouri to camp the. Drove into Peducah KY Monday morning for the eclipse. Had an awesome day at a big party hosted by a community college there. Then dragged our butts and trailer all the way back to Houston today. Great road trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4102c5f835a1413c8de33d54a52ba277.jpg

Last edited:
Met my son, his wife, his two kids, one of his friends, Taylor the BBQ Maiden, her coworker, Mr. Froggy from the local country music station, and a few folks who worked at Western Kentucky RV in Calvert City. We watched the entire event without a cloud, but heard Murray State's party was clouded over during totality and we could see other cumulonimbus that probably caused lots of others problems.

We drove up Monday morning no hassles, had lots of space and a cool breeze on the hill, good visibility, great pulled pork sandwiches, no crowds, fun music, then drove home no hassles.

I'd post pictures but can't get PhotoBucket to work at all these days.

Back